17 Mile Drive

DavidE9

Reaction score
Going through pictures today thinking of where I want to go next in the E9 and figured I should share these awesome pictures a buddy took of the car while on 17 mile drive. Enjoy!

zrsix4mh.jpg

pvaPNgTh.jpg

Y8ydrDrh.jpg

ZbEIuqhh.jpg

4nOqHTSh.jpg

qqpGK54h.jpg

gY7e20wh.jpg

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Loved Monterey Peninsula when I lived there. One of the most beautiful places one Earth. Perfect for driving a coupe

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Back in the day, I was fortunate enough that Pebble Beach was an account of mine, had to visit monthly, wish I had the coupe then

mpgandco

Reaction score
Did a run this morning down the Coast to Big Sur. Had the whole road to myself to go as fast as I wanted to pictures below

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did the 17 mile drive in my '70 Olds 442 convertible back in the day on my way home from San Fran to New Olreans, but I really want to do it in my coupe, a definite bucket list item.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did the 17 mile drive in my '70 Olds 442 convertible back in the day on my way home from San Fran to New Olreans, but I really want to do it in my coupe, a definite bucket list item.
In my 1971 brand new 1600 in 1971 I picked up Trans Canada 1 west of Toronto, ended up in Vancouver, then picked up the Coast Road west of Salem OR. After a couple of weeks of driving and touring and visiting friends and road racing a 240Z north of San Francisco I eventually ended up in Tijuana for a bullfight. Headed home through TX, Stevehose's home town, and then turned NE to Bucks County PA. Rolled 12,000 miles. Incredible. As my daughter said to me as we were leaving a Rolling Stones concert,

"Daddy, now I can die happy."

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes in 1987 I flew out to SF to pick the car up, a beautiful yellow 442 conv. A buddy flew out to meet me, we headed North and did Napa and redwoods etc, then back to SF for a few days, picked up another friend, headed south on PCH, played Half Moon Bay and Pebble, down to the Hearst castle, then across for 3 days of fear and loathing in las vegas, got kicked out of the Flamingo (long story), across the Hoover dam with my friend throwing up out the back seat until we got to Phenix, and remarkably made it back to NOLA. Car was trashed upon arrival but managed to get the stale beer, wine, and vomit out of it, not proud of this. All the wine we bought in Napa to save for special later life occasons was consumed before leaving vegas. Shortly after getting back I was stopped by a member of the Saints football organization, they wanted a 1970 car to drive Archie Manning and his family around the Superdome at halftime to retire his jersey. After that I sold the car for 2x what I paid for it to someone who saw it that day, then it got stolen. Life. Can't find the pictures, sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes in 1987 I flew out to SF to pick the car up, a beautiful yellow 442 conv. A buddy flew out to meet me, we headed North and did Napa and redwoods etc, then back to SF for a few days, picked up another friend, headed south on PCH, played Half Moon Bay and Pebble, down to the Hearst castle, then across for 3 days of fear and loathing in las vegas, got kicked out of the Flamingo (long story), across the Hoover dam with my friend throwing up out the back seat until we got to Phenix, and remarkably made it back to NOLA. Car was trashed upon arrival but managed to get the stale beer, wine, and vomit out of it, not proud of this. All the wine we bought in Napa to save for special later life occasons was consumed before leaving vegas. Shortly after getting back I was stopped by a member of the Saints football organization, they wanted a 1970 car to drive Archie Manning and his family around the Superdome at halftime to retire his jersey. After that I sold the car for 2x what I paid for it to someone who saw it that day, then it got stolen. Life. Can't find the pictures, sorry for the hijack.
Steve, road race any Mustangs?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
only late at night in the 80’s heading to Camellia Grill after debauching in the French Quarter. I had a ‘71 and a ‘70 convertible and another story I’m not proud of racing my friend in his 66 vette up St. Charles Ave and getting pulled over but with an amusing turn of events that I won’t hijack this with again ;)

Steve, road race any Mustangs?

Dohn

Reaction score
Steve, I had a '70 Olds 442 convertible as well! What are the odds. Dark gold inside and out, Hurst close-ratio 4-speed. Basically everything but the W-30 package. Got one ticket; insurance doubled; had to sell it to my fresh-back-from-Vietnam brother, who trashed it. Bittersweet memory...