180 Mile Cascade Crossing: Our First Big Road Trip in the Bavaria!

Paulaner

Well-Known Member
Messages
424
Reaction score
226
Location
WA, USA
I took my 1972 Bavaria out for its longest trip yet. Today clocked in just under 180 miles round trip. My wife and I went on a date day drive (no kids) out to Leavenworth, WA, crossing over the Cascade Mountains into Eastern Washington. This felt like a huge milestone for the car. The last time the car crossed had the mountain pass was nearly 18 months ago; strapped to a rental tow dolly the day I brought it home.
Having owned the car for a year and a half now, it feels like the vast majority of that time has been spent with the car up on jack stands in the garage, slowly checking off refresh projects. Today was the ultimate test to see how far all that parts sleuthing and wrenching has come, and to finally transition from fixing it to actually enjoying it.
The drive was incredible. We were blessed with fabulous weather, stunning mountain scenery, and some uninterrupted time together. The car ran and drove flawlessly. My wife was particularly impressed with how remarkably smooth the ride was and how light and nimble the chassis felt through the mountain turns. Though I will say, the funniest moment was when passing a couple slower cars coming over Stevens Pass, my wife grabbed at my arm as is we were re-entering the Earth's atmosphere as she kept telling me not to 'push it too hard.' I think after seeing it sitting on jack stands for a year and a half, she was hypnotized into believing the car was made of glass. I had to reassure her that 4,000 RPMs wasn't going to break anything.
It was a deeply rewarding day and a great reminder of why we pour so much time into keeping these E3s and E9s on the road. Looking forward to putting many more mountain miles on it before the season wraps up!
Prost!
Paulaner
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-09-27 7.46.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-27 7.46.29 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2026-09-27 7.45.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-27 7.45.01 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 1000001162.jpg
    1000001162.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2026-09-27 7.45.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-27 7.45.49 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
Nice going Kyle!
No photos? ;)
It is a great feeling when you’ve sorted a car to the point where you’re confident to drive it long distances and then actually do it successfully. For us non trained mechanics it’s a sense of accomplishment that allows for a self pat on the back while telling ourselves “I built this thing”
Long may she run.
 
Nice going Kyle!
No photos? ;)
It is a great feeling when you’ve sorted a car to the point where you’re confident to drive it long distances and then actually do it successfully. For us non trained mechanics it’s a sense of accomplishment that allows for a self pat on the back while telling ourselves “I built this thing”
Long may she run.
Photos just uploaded! Agreed, its a good feeling knowing progress is actually being made.
 
Phenomenal! I was out there today driving my E9 and I know the feeling. Somewhat amazed it runs, but still slightly worried at every odd knock and creak. You've done a lot to this one, glad to see it coming together
 
Its an amazing feeling to finally drive a car you've worked on for months. I hear Leavenworth is beautiful, particularly at Christmas time (but I'm not suggesting you attempt to drive the Bav through the mountains in December).
 
Its an amazing feeling to finally drive a car you've worked on for months. I hear Leavenworth is beautiful, particularly at Christmas time (but I'm not suggesting you attempt to drive the Bav through the mountains in December).
Wouldn't even dare crossing the mountain pass in the winter in a rear wheel drive car. However I did take my e92 335i up once and I barely made it.

Plus this December the car will be sidelined undergoing a lung transplant for the triple Weber install.
 
Wouldn't even dare crossing the mountain pass in the winter in a rear wheel drive car. However I did take my e92 335i up once and I barely made it.

Plus this December the car will be sidelined undergoing a lung transplant for the triple Weber install.
Buddy and I went over Hwy2 in his 135i w/ bald summers and had a very very slow and sideways trip home from Wenatchee a few winters ago haha. Not our brightest idea to skip out on the weather forecast but duty calls and we had to make it back!
 
Back
Top