18k-Mile 1987 BMW M6

loach

Reaction score
If this was a Euro spec car, I'd be on a plane as I write. Not a great colour combo for me, but $25k is a bargain if this is as nice as it looks. Shame the US spec cars are, compared to their European counterparts, underpowered and blighted by those hideous bumpers.

Great find, though. You don't see many like it.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
e24 M6

These are great cars; I have an 88 M6 with 93K. The S38 engine is very reliable (although parts have the M factor). You can chip it to almost Eurospec. The lotus white interior was very common (maybe half of the 1700 US M cars made in 1987 and 1988) and obviously is not the best for the long term. 88 is a much better year - no leather dash (which frequently warps and costs many thousands to fix or replace), much nicer bumpers (not quite Euro but recessed) and better headlights. Admittedly both of these are very low mileage examples (this is good and bad if they were not driven regularly) but for $25K the A/C should work since this can get expensive. Except for those interested in originality the TRX wheels and tires are expensive and dangerous (I kept mine but would never actually use them on any car) - so budget another $2-4 K for replacement wheels and tires.

Like the e9, I actually think these cars are currently very reasonable deals in the marketplace. For $20-30K (about the same price as a nice e9) you can easily find an exceptionally nice 88 M6 or even 85 Eurospec M (has to have valve spring and timing chain upgrade) with less than 100K miles. These are very reliable daily drivers (unless you put summer only Michelin PS2 like I did) and much less prone to rust (notice I said less - they do share a gene pool) than the e9s. Heck for $40K-$50K you could buy a nice e24 M6 and a nice e9 instead of that new e92 335. I am not talking about investments; I am talking driving fun. Who cares what a car is worth if you are never going to sell it? Not me, my e9 and 24 go with me to the end.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, they are great looking. But aren't they considered heavy and underpowered ? I didnt realize they had rust issues. Im afraid I dont need another car that I cant drive in the rain...

I think Paul Cain has worked his magic on a Bav, e9 and 02 but not one of these. I sure would like to see what he could do with one.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
e24 M6

Well everything is relative - unladen weight of e24 M6 is 3570 lbs (about the same as a current e92 3 series) with 0-60 6.8 (US, chipping will get it closer to 6.0). Compare this with close to 4000 lbs for current M6, 3200 lbs for an e9 (with stock 0-60 about 10 sec) and 2865 lbs for an e30 M3 (0-60 7.6 sec.)(pretty amazing). The M6 was pretty fast for 1988 (called the Bavarian Ferrari) but you are correct, today a whole lot of cars would be faster. But a classic Paul Braque design.

Actually you can drive them in the rain and even snow (although they are terrible snow cars) and while the rear wheel arches can rust, the rust issues are nothing like the e9 where every compartment traps water and things rust from the inside out.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
meh....asking price for the others on the market doubled after this one showed up