19 Years Ago, I Bought My Coupe

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
On Halloween 2003, I wired the previous owner the money and then my wife and I took our little girls out Trick or Treating. I bought the car sight unseen, I wanted to go look at it but my wife said that I traveled enough and that I couldn't fly to Tucson and leave her alone with our 3 and 5 year olds just to look at a car. The PO was the local BMW CCA president, when I scheduled the PPI, the guy said "Oh yeah, Larry's car". I was pretty nervous but when it showed up on the trailer it was a rust free as he said it was. It's almost comical what I paid for it but it seemed like a lot of money at the time.

I've had so many people try to buy it over the years but I just can't let it go. The car has never left me stranded, it's just so reliable. If I'm in a bad mood or stressed, all I need to do is go for a drive or go work on it - it lifts my spirits. My wife and kids love it, it's just part of the family.

MotorFest2020.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg

@vince ... i'm right there with Dave ... always been one of my favorites as well. i haven't decided if i'm going to go 16" BBS RS or the 17" RC 090. i have made the decision on multiple times to go 16" ... then i see a couple of pics of your coupe and i open the discussion again.

@vince,

Your car is my favorite Fjord for sure. So much subtle style and tasteful modifications. I also think that where others have failed , you pulled of Style 5’s beautifully!

the other thing i struggle with, because of your photos, is air dam or no air dam. i have the same dam as you. our friend @adawil2002's coupe also has the same affect. of course he has the BBS RS with a different air dam. funny that both are fjord coupes.

the other thing i struggle with, because of your photos, is air dam or no air dam. i have the same dam as you. our friend @adawil2002's coupe also has the same affect. of course he has the BBS RS with a different air dam. funny that both are fjord coupes.

I think that one reason this air dam works so well is that the lower lip transitions right into the wheel arches.

EB3A9024-D46D-4E40-80F0-09FBC7E85B40.jpeg

i agree with you Markos. i can assure you that mine didn't fit that way when it was first installed. if we put it back on, we are going to finesse it so that it does fit that way. one side was about 1/4" off ... and of course that was the drivers side, so i saw it everytime i looked at the car. i was thinking that i might try putting fender washers under the air dam to pull it tight at the fender lip, as the bumper will hide any space.

i guess we should ask Vince how he did it ... please let us know

Thank you Vince :)

Cars always brought out the best in me albeit it is a constant battle sometimes -- worth it 100%

Charlie, which one are you referring to? the 6 series style was (i think) made by Coupeguy ... at least mine was and i think he was the only one who did. not sure who made Andrew's CSL style. i know Mario (VSR) makes a great CSL style.

i am not sure that Coupeguy still makes any glass pieces - he sold his molds to somebody in California. it is possible that he may still have one or two, i haven't spoken to him in a few years.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! I'm traveling for business this week so I just went through all of your comments. I have tread from years ago about how I mounted the spoiler, I'll have to look it up and repost.

It took me forever, I had it and the front bumper off and on the car probably ten times to the get the fitment right.

Charlie, which one are you referring to? the 6 series style was (i think) made by Coupeguy ... at least mine was and i think he was the only one who did. not sure who made Andrew's CSL style. i know Mario (VSR) makes a great CSL style.
VSR made my CSL street air dam using a mold made from a factory air dam.

It took me forever, I had it and the front bumper off and on the car probably ten times to the get the fitment right.
Likewise, nearly impossible to do alone. My bumper clearances are about 1 mm from the air dam at the rounded sides. Takes 2 people to mount the bumper

I had Xpel put on 2 CSL air dams after repairing & repainting one year after year. Going on 4 years with now with no damage. Haven't had to use the 2nd air dam yet.

IMG_5599.jpg

I think Vince's E9 was the one to convince me to go w/17s.

I had 18" RC090s, but that seemed a bit extreme, so found me some 17" flat back RS'.

So clean both you guys' Fjords.

I do like how CoupeGuy's 635-style front spoiler is fairly unique and seems to blend so well. I chose to go w/the Zaprace CSL-style w/the NACA ducts, but can't go wrong either way! Just has to fit right like your guys' spoilers!

i like the look of the coupe with and without an air dam. i plan on using Lokari fender liners on my coupe, as @adawil2002 does ... the air dam does hide the portions of those liners the fall below the stock front valance.

Back