190hp vs. 170hp

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I see 190hp listed for 1972 Bavarias and 170hp for '73 and '74 Bavarias/3.0s in some places. I know the EU cars had more h.p., fewer emissions and I think higher compression.

Did the '72s in the US really have more HP due to what I would assume is higher compression and maybe few emission controls or are these just bad numbers?

Were CA cars different than 49 state cars? The car I've purchased, but don't yet have, was a 9/72 build and is titled as a '72 and has an emission sticker in the bay that references CAL ARB.

IMG_1295.jpeg

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see 190hp listed for 1972 Bavarias and 170hp for '73 and '74 Bavarias/3.0s in some places. I know the EU cars had more h.p., fewer emissions and I think higher compression. Depending who you ask, "EU" measures power differently, so some difference in published "HP" may/not be real.

Did the '72s in the US really have more HP due to what I would assume is higher compression and maybe few emission controls or are these just bad numbers? Yes, lower compression post-72 = lower HP

Were CA cars different than 49 state cars? The car I've purchased, but don't yet have, was a 9/72 build and is titled as a '72 and has an emission sticker in the bay that references CAL ARB. I couldn't say, but I rather doubt it, they still didn't sell enough nationwide to build for just a CA market so they made 'em all comply (thats why your sticker references CAL also)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think all e3 in the US were the same, no difference in CA and all were 170hp, same as all e9 here. 170 DIN is more accurate than the 192 SAE measure in the 70s that is regarded as overstated. The equivalent euro cars were 180 DIN with carbs. In 75/76 CA had tougher emission standards and the 2002 had a 49 state and a CA version.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@HB Chris - Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams of 190hp! Well, at least it’s still lighter than a coupe or a 3.0s (slightly). Yes, I’ll beat that drum for a bit

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I own a 70 2800 and a 73 3.0CS (when it had carbs) and both with 170hp, I can honestly say I found no HP or handling differences in these two cars. The weight difference is negligible and can be partially offset with a full or low tank of gas. Just my experience and opinion of course.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As I own a 70 2800 and a 73 3.0CS (when it had carbs) and both with 170hp, I can honestly say I found no HP or handling differences in these two cars. The weight difference is negligible and can be partially offset with a full or low tank of gas. Just my experience and opinion of course.

I know it’s negligible. Just trying to be funny.

Are you sure you only have 170hp? The attached review is about a Bav with a 2800 and states 192. Most everything I find show pre-73 3.0 motors have 190 (higher compression), but a few sources say otherwise - hence my question.

Attachments

• R&T 1971 Bavaria.pdf
    757.3 KB · Views: 126

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US magazines back then used SAE HP for all tests as that is what Detroit used. 192 SAE is overstated and DIN more accurately reflects true HP which is 170. All 2.8 motors for the US were 9.0:1, all 3.0CS are 8.0:1 with flat top piston due to emission requirements. Europe got 9.0:1 with piano tops.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
don't do that ... a US b34 is low compression and not much fun ... get a US b35 (9:1 if i remember correct), a m90 ( 9.3:1) or a euro b34 (10:1 compression)

Ever try a fresh 2800? Torque and power curve is way different and some find it a lot of fun to drive, think "spin" (like the 1600 -v- 2 liter M10)