195/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36

Dougal Cawley

Reaction score
Hi

Are you guys aware that at last there is a good tyre in the size 195/70VR14. Pirelli have recently produced the CN36 again.

it was OE on the Alfa Montreal. Does anyone know if this was OE on BMW?

To my knowledge it is the only proper classic tyre in the size.

If you are in Germany these tyres are available through Munchner Oldtimer Reifen.

or elswhere in the world the dealers are listed on here https://cinturato.net/

Dougal Cawley

Reaction score
They look like this

If anyone has a picture of their car on them id love to put it on my web site.

IMG_4112.JPG

Keshav

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this was OE on BMW?

Hi Dougal,
The OE tyre for BMW E9’s were the Michelin XWX 195/70 VR 14 as seen on the cars posted on Longstonetyres site and on the BMW CSL brochure. Still available in both 195 and 205’s.

IMG_3369.png
IMG_3371.jpeg
IMG_3370.jpeg

Dougal Cawley

Reaction score
Hi Dougal,
The OE tyre for BMW E9’s were the Michelin XWX 195/70 VR 14 as seen on the cars posted on Longstonetyres site and on the BMW CSL brochure. Still available in both 195 and 205’s.

Hi Keshav

Michelin haven't made the 195/70VR14 XWX for well over 10 years. I can find a listing for them back in the year 2000, but they certainly have not manufacutered them since i have been distributing the Michelin collection range of tyres, since about 2005.

This is from Michelins 2000 brochure in case the dimensions are of interest to anyone.

Now the 3.0CSL sales brochure proves that some of the CSL versions of the 3.0 fitted a Michelin XWX version of 195/70VR14. However that is a long way from proof that the XWX was fitted to all E3 and E9 models. It very much could have varied from model to model, and very much what country the car was being delivered to.

Michelin do still make a 205/70VR14 XWX, and there are other tyres in the size 195/70R14 but i don't beleive there is a proper genuine classic tyre in that size that will look as good and certainly won't handle as well as the CN36.

Attachments

• 2000 brochure XWX.jpg
    2000 brochure XWX.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 8

Keshav

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now the 3.0CSL sales brochure proves that some of the CSL versions of the 3.0 fitted a Michelin XWX version of 195/70VR14. However that is a long way from proof that the XWX was fitted to all E3 and E9 models. It very much could have varied from model to model, and very much what country the car was being delivered to.
Sounds like a very weak salesman argument/ justification to me. Cinturato’s are a great looking tire no doubt and some folks here use them too! So yes, thanks for the links!

Keshav

Dougal Cawley

Reaction score
Sounds like a very weak salesman argument/ justification to me. Cinturato’s are a great looking tire no doubt and some folks here use them too! So yes, thanks for the links!

Keshav

So posting the link is a bit of sales, yes of course.

Genuinley trying to find out what is OE on a car isn't a sales pitch.

I want our web sites to be correct. The fact a sales brochure for one specific model of the E9 fitted XWX is in no way evidence that all the rest of the E9 models and the E3 models fitted XWX.

The fact the CN36 looks good is a reason for some people to buy them, and good looks would never be a reason not to buy them. However the real reason to buy them, is becuase as a road tyre they will handle better on your car.

Keshav

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It suffices to say that you are promoting an excellent brand/ tire, Pirelli Cinturato, which is not the OE tire for the E9…..whether you accept it’s Michelin XWX as OE or not is irrelevant. Off all the 195’s available, cinturato is the surely the best (and most expensive) tire.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So posting the link is a bit of sales, yes of course.

Genuinley trying to find out what is OE on a car isn't a sales pitch.

I want our web sites to be correct. The fact a sales brochure for one specific model of the E9 fitted XWX is in no way evidence that all the rest of the E9 models and the E3 models fitted XWX.

The fact the CN36 looks good is a reason for some people to buy them, and good looks would never be a reason not to buy them. However the real reason to buy them, is becuase as a road tyre they will handle better on your car.

Dear Dougal,

Welcome to our forum and thank you for posting this interesting notice

sorry for lateral behaviour
evreyone has their favorites
i do prefer the CN36

thank you for providing good products to us

i will find some pics for you

regards

E3_UK

Reaction score
Dougal,
My UK E3 (1973) has what I believe to be the original unused spare in the boot, a Continental TT, 175 HR14. I was in touch with Blockley recently as my current tyres (Uniroyal) have been on the car since 1985. These are 195/70 R14. Your own 205/70 was offered but I'm not sure I would like the wider tyres on my car. For the mileage I do the price of the Pirelli is just not justifiable I'm afraid.
20210218_122433.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is my friend Tom Baruch's car with a set of 195/70 R14 CN36s on the bottle caps that came with my car:
20240531_142321.jpg

I have this setup on my coupe right now, but have not driven my car since these went on. I should be able to get some better pics, and a driving impression, next week.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not the 205s but I put the 195s on recently and they look/drive great...

Attachments

• Tire Pic 1.jpg
    Tire Pic 1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Tire Pic 2.jpg
    Tire Pic 2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 15