1966 2000CS Barn Find Project

CarSnob

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here after I kinda fell into a 2000CS. I was helping a neighbor out one day and noticed a big shed in her backyard that seemed unused and generally forgotten. When I asked what was up, the lady told me that her husband had been working on a car before he died, and that he stored the car in the shed. This caught my interest so I asked if I could take a look. She said that I could look and if I wanted it, I could have the car and all the parts that her husband had meticulously cleaned, labeled, and stored. After a cursory glance at the car, I decided that it needed to come live at my house. So, last October, I rolled the car out and into the sunlight for the first time in 20 years. It looked pretty sad. At that point, the weather got cold and the car went under a waterproof tarp under a carport. During that time, I went around to look for a place to restore this beast and, upon deciding that everywhere was too expensive, in the past two weeks I have disassembled the engine, taken it out of the car, and took all of the primer and rust off the car with a DA sander. I've crawled around and looked everywhere on the car and the worst rust I could find was on the right front fender and rocker panels. The floors, shock towers, fenders, frame rails, etc. are all solid. Since I live in NY, the rust is not terrible for a unit-body daily driver from 1966. I've been reading over some of the posts here and I've picked up some really useful info and I look forward to sharing my progress and taking whatever constructive criticisms you have. I'll add some more pics later.

Attachments

• bmw stripped.jpg
    bmw stripped.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 366

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome CarSnob!

It looks pretty good for a north-easter! Did a 71 Torino GT convertible 20 years ago that was allot worse. I started my 74 3.0 project last Sept. I'll put up a couple pics. There are allot of folks that dwarf my knowledge on this site so keep asking questions! Also, there are lots of manuals on-line that give good detail. MMercury sent me one last night that answered a heap of questions as mine is about to see it's first "start" since I stripped her naked.

Attachments

• blasted3.jpg
    blasted3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 252
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 266
  • carbs on2.jpg
    carbs on2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 243

CarSnob

Reaction score
Question#1

Thanks Peter, your car looks really clean too. How did you strip it? Was it done chemically or did you have it sandblasted? Anyway, I was looking over the car some more yesterday and I managed to pull up some old masking tape that was stuck to the VIN plate under the hood. I was under the impression that my car was a 2000CS but on the tag it only says 2000C. My car has all the markings of a 2000CS, (the air cleaner tag, the trunk numerals, two carbs, high compression pistons, etc.) The engine is numbers matching to the car (matched the VIN stamped on the firewall to the one around the starter ring) so its not an engine swap, and the VIN on the tag matches the other two. Was this a factory mistake or are they all like this? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• BMW VIN.jpg
    BMW VIN.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 242

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
according to the books the 2000c had a single carb, 100hp engine, the 2000cs had dual carb 120hp engine.

CarSnob

Reaction score
thanks stevehose, but im still confused. I'm sure I have the 2000CS engine (2 carb/120hp) but I only have a 2000C plate. Was the plate stamped incorrectly or did someone take the time to turn a C into a CS?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
2000CS VINs and production numbers by model

With the engine and body VINs matching, I think you can feel pretty confidant that your car is a 2000CS. My 67 2000CS has the same printed VIN tag saying 2000 C. What counts are the stamped VINs.

Your car's VIN begins with 110 which is correct for 2000CSs. ( I think the 2000C VINs began with 100.

By the way, the "C" models are much rarer - only 443 built vs 9999 "CS" models. There were also 3249 CA automatics.

rdholland

Reaction score
2000CS VIN tags

Just to further confirm this, my 2000CS VIN tag under the hood also is printed as 2000C but my VIN stars with 110 and matches the stamped number on the firewall. I've spoken to others with a ton more knowledge than me, who've confirmed this marking pattern as well.

Cheers,
Rob