1969 2002

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many of us have other BMWs and some even have 2002s. I have been working on my Nov `68 build date 2002 for the past four years. It had one prior owner and I finally have it where I want it, brought back to original condition. Paint is Manila (just for you Dave V) and a 30 year old respray and it will stay this way for a while. Motor is rebuilt and I have less than 700 miles on it, it is the local runabout for trips to Trader Joe's, Starbucks and driving along the coast. I redid the interior and all mechanicals, being a very early `69 it has no headrests or side markers and it has the early wide seats.

Let's see some more 2002s in this thread, they are great little cars! And probably gets more attention than the coupe as well.

Chris

Attachments

• DSCN2000.jpg
    DSCN2000.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN2001.jpg
    DSCN2001.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN2002.jpg
    DSCN2002.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1567.jpg
    DSCN1567.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 197
  • CIMG3216.jpg
    CIMG3216.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 185

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Awesome! The paint looks like Sahara until you get the light on it. Nice. My son's '69 is also Manila... waiting its turn to be rebuilt/modified.

Dan

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
WHat a clean looking car Chris. So Elemental. How is it fulfilling it's roll as daily errand runner? I just received quite a few parts for my 72 Malaga. New Cap , rotor, points, wires, rubber trim, windshield seals. I bought a set of 14 inch BBS E21 wheels that will need refinishing. I think I prefer the 13's, but not the 13 inch rubber selection. I also bought an E21 leather steering wheel that I refinished. It is a bit too Black and shiny, but the fit in the hand seems excellent. My car was grounded when one of the valve lash adjusters broke, so it is just sitting laid up with no carb. I hope to renew the cooling system this winter. Wish I had a decent photo of it. Hopefully I will get it up and running soon. Both the E9 and 2002 are stored near each other my Garage/Man Cave about 8 minutes from home. I am never bored when I go there. I can just sit in either one for relaxation.

Honolulu

Reaction score
man o man, those early 02s are white bread plain. I really like the brown interior, specially with it being so clean and tidy-looking.

Looks just like the repaint on my first one, a '70 with auto trans. Got if from a crippled guy, he had rigged it without an ignition key, put it in Park and the starter would engage and turn; shift into gear immediately when it started. I fixed that, and various other items, and a few years later totalled it.

But shoots, I had 14 of 'em from '70 through '76. Would be nice to get another... but the boss says to stick with and make nice on the coupe. Oh well.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Very nice, the 02's are a fun car. We have several in the fold, I want to tackle the malaga Italian delivery we have, dual headlights, Italian blinkers and campy wheels.

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove my '68 2002 yesterday for the first time in well over a month and you are right...I got more comments and thumbs up in the 02 than the coupe.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool Chris. I'm disappointed I didn't get to drive it to the Socal meet. Instead I drove my oil-smoke-grenade Si :smile:

How long have you owned it?

That brown looks exactly like the color on my Si. Do you know the name for it?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis, I found it four years ago this coming January in Alhambra. Owner died in `89 and it got parked, of course the motor was shot, wires were melted, etc, it needed everything but it was complete and without rust. Interior is Tobacco, earler 1600s were UPS brown as they say, in `72 it was Saddle without the black mottling that the Tobacco has. Here are some before pics.

Bob, it is so fun to drive, very light and nimble. If I could just get rid of the gas smell! Very common issue, and new hood and trunk seals, fuel lines, gas sender gasket, set proper float level, etc.

Chris

Attachments

• CIMG1288.jpg
    CIMG1288.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 182
  • CIMG1362.jpg
    CIMG1362.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 177
  • CIMG1229.jpg
    CIMG1229.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 179

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't have many 2002 photos, as mine is in a very cramped room at the moment with no carb and partly torn apart. I'll add a photo to keep the 2002 talk moving along. I did manage to grab a photo of it wearing my Miata's wheel to see if it fit. While I am not sure this is the look I would want, the wheel in question is an Enkei RPF1 and only weighs 9.8 pounds in a 7.5 X 15 . I'd consider the 14's as they are under 9 if I remember correctly. Lightweight wheels certainly improve suspension performance. They make a very big difference on a Miata.
malagaRPF1.jpg

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Nicad:

One of the disadvantages of the four post lifts is that suspension work or dropping the suspension and drive train out the bottom is restricted by the pans so I built a crib under it to support the shell. About a 4 hours of assembly. Someday I'll put some effort into a more refined system that looks a little more "engineered" than just built because once the body is supported the actual removal or installation of everything under the body takes about an hour.

Doug

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd sure hate to be around if that car got knocked over. If ever I get the 4 post lift of my dreams, might very well try that. The E9 and 2002 will get whatever servicing they need on jack stands with me on my back.