1969 2800 cs paint detail question

Wbs

Reaction score
I am in the process of repainting my cs and don’t recall if the front lower valance had the same rubber coat as the rear.

Wbs

Reaction score
Apologies, just added a photo

Attachments

• AB9B8532-424E-45DA-88F7-D4724E58BAC6.jpeg
    AB9B8532-424E-45DA-88F7-D4724E58BAC6.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 96

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It stops maybe 1” below the center of the rounded forward edge of the valance and wraps around to the center height of the bumper on the fender.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On the subject.. I was looking at my valance the other day. I have no reason to think it has been damaged but the car has been media blasted so there is no filler anywhere and I was surprised to see how many stretch marks are in the lower valance, presumably from the stamping. My bet is that anyone who has a straight, shiny lower valance has a lot of body filler in their car, as there is no way to get behind there and metal finish it (it is two layers near the core support). Perhaps the stone guard hides the sins (as does the bumper and normal viewing angle).

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 5.56.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 5.59.37 PM.png

Wbs

Reaction score
I will have a look at mine tomorrow, but from memory mine is smooth. My car has 26k kms and no body filler, I stripped the car to bare metal.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm no body expert, but I've read that media blasting can warp metal sheet and make it somewhat work hardened as well. Thus the advantage of body dipping though that has it's own drawbacks of difficult to remove residue in tight spaces and inaccessible spaces that need paint.

I had a look at my rather high milage 2800cs and the pin pricks of rust and a magnet tell me there's no filler and other than some slight trauma at the lower edge and a factory looking crease in the middle, it's also smooth.

Hedwig front apron.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is chemically stripped. I don't recall wrinkles like that (though it is dinged up for other reasons). I'll take a look later to confirm my comments.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The old trope of media blast warping is just that -- old. Good media blasting companies know what they're doing. They used "Dirty 30" grit on the bottom of the car to get off the undercoat but all the visible body panels are done with plastic beads to prevent heat build up. Besides, that valance is welded to the core support so no amount of blasting heat would be able to cause those wrinkles. Perhaps there was an accident and poor repair but even that seems unlikely given how straight the trailing edge is. Prior accident damage was clearly visible on right front corner (subsequently metal finished much closer) but a blasted/stripped car really exposes all prior work and the lower valance just doesn't look like accident damage to me. Maybe mine is uniquely wrinkled. Just seems unlikely.

Prior accident damage not well repaired:
20210215_132554.jpg

We cleaned that up quite a bit but it was all up fairly high:
rfDentRepair.jpg

I can easily shoot pictures that make it look straight (see below). You really have to shoot from the side on a smooth panel to know for sure. Hard to say how straight the the image above from @mulberryworks is with that textured finish. From the shadows it looks like there are wrinkles near the trailing edge to me.

20200307_152459.jpg

20200307_154549.jpg

Wbs

Reaction score
I'm no body expert, but I've read that media blasting can warp metal sheet and make it somewhat work hardened as well. Thus the advantage of body dipping though that has it's own drawbacks of difficult to remove residue in tight spaces and inaccessible spaces that need paint.

I had a look at my rather high milage 2800cs and the pin pricks of rust and a magnet tell me there's no filler and other than some slight trauma at the lower edge and a factory looking crease in the middle, it's also smooth.

View attachment 131537
Thank you for the photo

Wbs

Reaction score
The old trope of media blast warping is just that -- old. Good media blasting companies know what they're doing. They used "Dirty 30" grit on the bottom of the car to get off the undercoat but all the visible body panels are done with plastic beads to prevent heat build up. Besides, that valance is welded to the core support so no amount of blasting heat would be able to cause those wrinkles. Perhaps there was an accident and poor repair but even that seems unlikely given how straight the trailing edge is. Prior accident damage was clearly visible on right front corner (subsequently metal finished much closer) but a blasted/stripped car really exposes all prior work and the lower valance just doesn't look like accident damage to me. Maybe mine is uniquely wrinkled. Just seems unlikely.

Prior accident damage not well repaired:
View attachment 131643

We cleaned that up quite a bit but it was all up fairly high:
View attachment 131646

I can easily shoot pictures that make it look straight (see below). You really have to shoot from the side on a smooth panel to know for sure. Hard to say how straight the the image above from @mulberryworks is with that textured finish. From the shadows it looks like there are wrinkles near the trailing edge to me.

View attachment 131631

View attachment 131633
Looks familiar