1969 2800 (E3) For Sale in Sacramento (soon)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to sell my '69 2800 and wanted to post here first. I'm not sure what to ask for it so please chime in. It has a '92 M30B35 motor with 38/38 Webers and a Getrag 4-speed transmission. I probably should've put the motor/carbs in my coupe but oh well. I also put an Air Lift Performance air suspension on it that I need to finish adjusting and I need to also finish up a few other things here and there. Trim, etc. Not sure if I want to go the BaT route although I think that would be the best market. I also don't need to get every last dollar out of it.

Body and paint done by me. Single stage Chamonix. No rust on chassis and minor surface rust on undercarriage. Would need seat upholstery and dash work to finish off the inside.

The air suspension was installed without any modification to the chassis so it can be removed very easily and the stock struts put back on. I have the stock struts but they'll need new inserts and maybe different springs depending on preference. The air suspension could be sold to pay for springs/shocks.

I've taken the car to Euro Sunday a couple times and it got a good response with the air ride. You don't see old BMW's with air suspensions often.

With stock suspension

238556012_2711199475845469_5244665494039471347_n.jpg

With air suspension at ride height (not aired out)

20220625_144633.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dan,
I love the early hub caps, no belt line molding, silver grills, no side marker lights, early C pillar trim.

Post a few pics of the interior, trunk, engine if they are handy.

(quite a collection above your car in the first picture :love: )

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You got a price in mind?
Not really. If I go off of other E3's that have sold it seems like maybe the $12-15k range? It's a little bit of an odd ball with the air suspension and not sure it adds value. Maybe to some buyers. The rust-free straight body and M30B35/Webers is the selling point.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ya, I can see $20k at least on BAT.

Some BBS RC090s on there and you're set.

d0a222f16cb0c8a9da864cc0d9196696.jpg
I have a polished set ready to go on with spacers and longer wheel studs. I stopped before changing the studs though.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, are you sure you would need the spacers? i know they fit on the e9 w/o ... just no idea about the e3

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, are you sure you would need the spacers? i know they fit on the e9 w/o ... just no idea about the e3
I think Mike Gobel runs RC090's without spacers and with lowering springs. Maybe a small spacer, not sure, but mine has air struts on it now that have been modified from stock. I put it on a lift with an RC090 wheel and tire and used a transmission jack to check clearances. I could get about 10mm of washers on the front and still get a lug nut on and it was basically at zero clearance on the strut. 10mm more put it in the middle of the available space. 20mm in front and 10mm in the rear, which requires longer studs. Obviously I haven't tested it while driving but that's my starting point.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Living in California, I can imagine you get used to no rust/low rust old cars. Don't underestimate your lack of rust to someone who is looking for an E3. In my opinion, that is a Huge advantage and your asking price should be higher. Just my opinion. I also agree, BAT could get you more dollars, but I can understand any reluctance to list and then bite your tongue as the dumbass comments roll in. Good luck with your sale however you do it, Dan. ;)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Living in California, I can imagine you get used to no rust/low rust old cars. Don't underestimate your lack of rust to someone who is looking for an E3. In my opinion, that is a Huge advantage and your asking price should be higher. Just my opinion. I also agree, BAT could get you more dollars, but I can understand any reluctance to list and then bite your tongue as the dumbass comments roll in. Good luck with your sale however you do it, Dan. ;)
Thanks. The best way is to let the market decide through a popular auction. We'll see. I'll have to get a little more motivated for BaT but I'm not ruling it out.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If the interior is serviceable, I'd say it is worth 10k more than you indicated. Hagerty doesn't list a 69 2800, but they do list a 72 Bavaria. It books for 17.6 in "good" condition and 27 in "excellent". IMHO it is somewhere in between the two.

BaT recents on comparable cars...

Caveats...4 weeks before Christmas is not a great time to sell a collector car. There is a small market in North America for ANY E3, and your 2800 is not generally what comes to mind to those shopping for an E3. You will need a nationwide marketing approach to sell it. I'm neutral on the suspension. It will turn off the old crowd (raises hand), but viewed as a great head start for the young crowd. Most of the cars shown on the E3 Facebook site are slammed.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If the interior is serviceable, I'd say it is worth 10k more than you indicated. Hagerty doesn't list a 69 2800, but they do list a 72 Bavaria. It books for 17.6 in "good" condition and 27 in "excellent". IMHO it is somewhere in between the two.

BaT recents on comparable cars...

Caveats...4 weeks before Christmas is not a great time to sell a collector car. There is a small market in North America for ANY E3, and your 2800 is not generally what comes to mind to those shopping for an E3. You will need a nationwide marketing approach to sell it. I'm neutral on the suspension. It will turn off the old crowd (raises hand), but viewed as a great head start for the young crowd. Most of the cars shown on the E3 Facebook site are slammed.
Thanks Dick. I agree 100% about the timing, but I'm still building that damn greenhouse right now so I wouldn't be able to sell it that fast anyway, even if BaT got to it. A "national" market for classic cars means not while there's snow on the ground. People aren't thinking about classic cars. My next classic for sale will be my rust free '73 Golf tii which I'll sell on BaT. I should probably practice with the E3. ;)