1969 2800CS strut dilemma - Bilstein's won't fit!

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yay! Glad you got it figured out.

I was very worried about cross threading mine and destroying the strut.

dbower

Reaction score
Just had this same issue on my 72 Euro 3.0S (3/72 build). Really stumped me, my tech, and several vendors. Thanks to HBChris for steering me to this thread. I had been trying to use the old gland nut. Tried the new one, scraped off a little paint, and got it threaded.

While we're talking shocks...I wanted to go Bilstein B6's all around (HD, not sport). Had Sports on a tii many moons ago and it rode like a truck. The rear HD shocks have 2 options for height adjustment -- both of which were shorter than my OEM shock. The Sport shocks have 5 adjustment heights so I installed those shocks on the rear to match the height of my original shocks. HD's on the front. Ride is much improved all around.

Don

Dave G

Reaction score
Good old HB Chris! ;-) His input has helped me out several times.

I wouldn't want anyone else to endure the experience we went through, going from bewilderment and rejection to elation, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who struggled with this!

Regarding the Bilstein B6 Sport vs HD, the newer information I was finding seemed to indicate that they actually have the same damping, but the Sport has a shorter overall length (and travel I presume) for track cars and lowered cars. I found the literature from Bilstein to be lacking, never could find dimensional specs for the B6 line. That and the installation instructions are not completely accurate for our cars (and they shipped me one shock missing a washer and a bushing under the boot)! I am using lowering springs out of Germany and I assumed that they will not be so low as to require the Sport shocks so I went with the HD shocks all around. Again, finding data for all these components is nearly impossible, so hopefully these assumptions work out well in the end, fingers crossed. Glad you got your shocks installed!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, they are the same damping. In fact, Bilstein no longer makes a rear sport shock for the E3 since it was so similar to the HD, only HD is available.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
One additional trivia item to add to this discussion - Bilstein (as of last year) still rebuilds shocks. The cost is roughly about the same as buying new, but you have some ability to alter the valving to your specifications. I have a buddy who had his shocks valved to a spec from Hardy and Beck when he discovered they discontinued selling specially valved Bilsteins.