1969 BMW 2800cs Belgium spec car in Canada

Wbs

Reaction score
these cars were well ahead of their time in 1969.

Attachments

• C9A5AFDE-DB54-43F7-8D58-DD79A6B4CA83.jpeg
    C9A5AFDE-DB54-43F7-8D58-DD79A6B4CA83.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 90480362-9988-4D9B-99C1-646103D63BF5.jpeg
    90480362-9988-4D9B-99C1-646103D63BF5.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 8E23B493-7BEF-4CFA-951B-55DF789697CF.jpeg
    8E23B493-7BEF-4CFA-951B-55DF789697CF.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2ADAAD76-6DEF-4DA4-A82A-A6EC779CB1D3.jpeg
    2ADAAD76-6DEF-4DA4-A82A-A6EC779CB1D3.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 649DBA94-3DE3-4319-9792-5061E6E58AFD.jpeg
    649DBA94-3DE3-4319-9792-5061E6E58AFD.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 103

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, it's been 7 years. Congratulations on the beautiful work and inspiring photos. I like that you kept it as original as can be other than the sound deadener. Was all the paintwork done in house? What type of paint was used on the Diff?

Wbs

Reaction score
Hello Bob, seven years just flew in a blink. The car had factory sound deadening and I just replaced it with a modern equivalent. I did not want the car
to roar like a steel drum when at speed so hence the need for the sound pads. The diff paint was a worth satin black, we buy the paint in spray cans.
Yes we did the entire car in house, including the paint. We used PPG water bourne paint and PPG clear, we were not able to match the colour in a solvent based
paint. The colour is a perfect match in water base.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the paint info. Are all the parts painted such as the air filter housing and sub frame or powder coated? Do you expect to drive the car much once our weather gets summer like in 2024? When I was a 13 year old, a friend's father had a new Agave Green 3.0 CS and I remember thinking it was nothing compared to Mum's Pontiac Grand Prix....then I got a ride from Montreal to Mosport in it (To watch the Cdn GP ) and my view from the back seat saw the speedo hovering around 110 MPH. One of the best car experiences of my life. Silky smooth. That car would sure look Great in the entrance of Downtown BMW this winter. Might make a few customers lament how far they have fallen in the Grace dept though.

Last edited:

Wbs

Reaction score
No powder coating, just paint. I will drive it 500km per year in good weather.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
No powder coating, just paint. I will drive it 500km per year in good weather.
I guess paint is original and applies thinly. I have had adhesion problems with my hobby grade powder coating system. I'm wondering if you could share a local source for plating you like? I have calipers, axle parts, linkages etc I'd like to get re plated. I had my Weber 45's redone by Mike Pierce in California. They look like Rolexes now...but Man shipping added a lot to the bill. I l know there are people suggested on this forum who do perfect caliper rebuilds in the US, but shipping calipers is gonna be painful for my car.

Wbs

Reaction score
Plating of parts has become very expensive, if you are not in a rush we can add your parts to our plating order.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Plating of parts has become very expensive, if you are not in a rush we can add your parts to our plating order.
Oh that would be fantastic! , Thank You. . I'm not in a rush. I'll get in touch in the new year if you have some plating jobs coming up.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice pictures and very interesting.

How's your impression after few drives? I have never drove E9 except short trip from lorry (with no brakes).

I do like the FIAMM battery. It is not hitting the eyes in the engine bay as most of modern ones being yellow, blue or white.

Was the 2800cs equipped with chrome-finished fender and hood grilles?

Later models in "Polaris" have had black painted pieces.

Also it was a black sticker underneath the fender grilles not to expose that there is just steel beneath :D

Thanks for sharing your story! It's motivating for us! It has also expressed Polaris is really nice. Maybe that is why it was the most popular color of coupe which is probably not so popular as several E9s were repainted into Fjord.

Wbs

Reaction score
Nice pictures and very interesting.

How's your impression after few drives? I have never drove E9 except short trip from lorry (with no brakes).

I do like the FIAMM battery. It is not hitting the eyes in the engine bay as most of modern ones being yellow, blue or white.

Was the 2800cs equipped with chrome-finished fender and hood grilles?

Later models in "Polaris" have had black painted pieces.

Also it was a black sticker underneath the fender grilles not to expose that there is just steel beneath :D

Thanks for sharing your story! It's motivating for us! It has also expressed Polaris is really nice. Maybe that is why it was the most popular color of coupe which is probably not so popular as several E9s were repainted into Fjord.
I never drove the car before the restoration either but I have a few Bmw's and I wasn't concerned about how it drove. When I did complete the car and after the first drive I was impressed at the solid feeling of the chassis and the firmness of the ride, not rough and not a parade float feel of an American car. I kept the original koni reds shocks, as I learned the hard way with the Bilstein yellow sport shock (too firm and jarring which ruins the ride, the original engineers knew what they were doing.) The engine is super smooth and when all the carbs open the car has a very nice growl, the power is more than adequate. The gearbox is one of the smoothest shifting units I have ever used.

The battery is a std american battery with some italian decals, a correct looking battery makes a nice addition to the engine compartment.

I'm not a 2800cs expert but my car came with black poorly painted chrome vent grilles, and my car is a 1969 euro car and most cars in period photos had chrome.

I was on the fence when it came to the black decal under the vents, I almost ordered the decals but changed my mind.

The car came with two center grilles, silver and black. I choose the black grille, incorrect but looked better to my eyes.

The correct shade of silver makes a difference, code 90 is period correct and stunning in person.

Theses cars are well worth the restoration effort.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have both thanks to Keshav for my 71' but recently swapped them and prefer the Black. Goes better with the headlight shrouds IMHO.