1970 2800 CS 3.5 5-speed on BAT

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This showed up yesterday just as the 74 was bidding. Looks quite nice.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-bmw-2800cs-10/
1587095624741.jpeg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
does look awesome. My only nit is they should have butt-welded the floor pan so it looked more like it was untouched.

1970_bmw_2800_cs_1586150550495d565ef66eDSC_0856.jpg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was looking at this car some time ago for purchase. Super nice owner that spent a lot of time and money on the 3.5 conversion and the interior. All the best folks had their hands on the car. Looked very solid and supposedly was gone over with a scope by Carl @ La Jolla searching for anything iffy and came up clean with the exception of one small spot which was addressed immediately. I liked the car but ultimately decided to go a different direction.

druckpress

Reaction score
I agree... you definitely could not go out and build that car for near that price today. In the words of Carl Nelson... to get a donor body and do that build exactly to those specs, you'd be near six figures these days. That auction may be a harbinger of where prices are in the economy right now.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think if the rear brakes were already converted, and the floor pan was done more OEM/butt-welded, it would have garnered a bit more. Also, color isn't exactly the highest in demand; unlike Fjord, Polaris, Black.

Nice buy!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, color isn't exactly the highest in demand; unlike Fjord, Polaris, Black.
do you really think those are the highest in demand colors? i like all of those, i like baikal more ... but i think the high values are in the rarer / cool colors - turkis, taiga, ceylon, granatrot, inka. i am with Vince on some of the bodywork.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the car was a steal. IMHO, who cares if the color isn't exactly correct. It's a hotrod build so you take liberties. I spoke with Carl about the car and he said they went through every cavity with a scope and they found one small spot which the owner immediately took care of. That's way more important than some of the minor items. I had no intention of buying the car but figured I'd toss a couple bids in to start some action. The seller is a very nice guy who spent a ton on it. Dorian did a lot of work and both Sfdon and Carl had their hands on it. That kind of provenance usually doesn't come cheap...my 2 cents of course!

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I followed this closely on BaT. Note all the comments ref. body work, paint issues, etc. It looks close to my car from a distance. Think money spent was due to all the great mechanical work done in the Bay Area. Hagerty Values sent me a BMW Value update earlier this month. Some of their numbers seemed way too optimistic to me. Will say that SCM’s latest guide has shown some appreciation over the past year.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have Hagerty insurance on my '73 3.0CS. They have treated me very well for the claims I had during shipping from Hawaii to Ft.Lauderdale and the fender lip paint crack from not having the front lips rolled with the lowered suspension. My original '72 2002 has been in the garage under a cover for 25 years. Based on the Hagerty value chart,if I spend about $30K on a good restoration, I'll have a nice #2 $28K BMW..

Attachments

• BMW 2002.jpg
    BMW 2002.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 138