1970 2800CS Alternator

1e9kalkid

Reaction score
I'm about ready to replace my alternator for my 1970 2800CS as part of my engine rebuild, but when I spoke with a parts shop they said to check the existing alternator for part number). I have a Bosch 0120400702, which they told me was a 35 Amp alternator, and went on to say the early '70's had either a 35 or 45 amp alternator. I looked at the owner's workshop manual which only refers to 55 amp. Other online shops refer to the Bosch AL45X 55 amp as the replacement. Can anyone confirm the 55 amp alternator as the correct replacement?
Thanks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes that's correct, but you can rebuild them to 80 or 100 amps as well if you have an amplifier and/or driving lights.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd get more amps anyway - cant hurt and old wiring loses efficiency. I have an 85 in my car and it runs the a/c and driving lights and anything else I can throw at it.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nothing better than supporting traditional tradespeople. I have a guy that has rewound generators / alternators for me for over 15 years. Each has performed flawlessly after. Fortunately he is not contemplating retirement at 67. My alternator is heading his way soon.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd get more amps anyway - cant hurt and old wiring loses efficiency. I have an 85 in my car and it runs the a/c and driving lights and anything else I can throw at it.

Agreed! I’m going to send mine to the guy that @HB Chris recommends. In my Jeep XJ, I put a 160a alternator from a 5.9L dodge durango, replacing the 90a. Almost bolt in.

Paging @autokunst to give him something to noodle on. :D

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I use an AC Delco CS-130 for my Bavarious. It's 105 amps, inexpensive, bolts right in and is very easy to wire up.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score