1970 2800CS Calif Car... What do you do...What DOOOO yo do??

execmalibu

Reaction score
1970 2800CS Calif Car... What do you do...What DOOOO you do??

Today this 1970 2800CS came up for sale 20 minutes from my house...

The car is a GREAT color combo Dark Blue with Black Leather, has a 4 Speed, Factory Air and is a totally rust free San Diego car from new...

The car is in great condition in/out and mechanically with lots of spare parts and a box full of BMW service/parts books! Even the tool kit is complete and mint!:-D

I did not need another E9 but what dooo You DOOO?:)

Oh yeah it is very fairly priced!!!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You PM me if you decide not to buy it, my brother in law is looking for one :mrgreen:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it does look pretty nice ... how much? out of curiousity. i can't buy another car ... although i would like to - i like dark blue coupes. the divorce would be too costly.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I had to buy the car... What else could I possibly do?

First the car is very straight and totally rust free which based upon what I have seen is very rare for an E9 these days...

Then I saw that Dan Schmitt Co. bought the amazing 1973 3.0CS 6 weeks ago for $28,500 and then sold the car last week for $46,500... The E9 is a sleeper right now I think that the E9s are going to skyrocket in price and possibly end up with a value like 1970s Porsche 911s and MBs...

It seemed like an amazing deal and I had to buy the car...

Now I need to find a place to store it...

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You truly have the sickness. And a very understanding wife? But it's not a `73, will it fit in with the rest of your collection?

:)

Chris

execmalibu

Reaction score
My wife never argues when I buy a classic car or parts!!!

HBChris,

My wife lives in an amazing home in Malibu that we bought 24 years ago that came directly from my classic car collection and vintage parts!

Whenever I buy vintage car parts or cars she asks where are we going to get the money but understands that eventually if I ever decide to sell the cars that we will make a decent profit... The problem is I bought many of my cars 20-30 years ago and I absolutely HATE to sell them... Unfortunately my kids ( whom I have offered to sell :) ) insist that I feed and educate them so some of my jewels (427 Cobra, 330GTS Ferrari etc) had to go! One will graduate Law School next month and the other is working on being a Doctor and both will soon be off my dime!!!

I have repeatedly been told by the "experts" that cars are not a good investment! When I look out my windows and see this everyday I kind of think that maybe the so called "experts" could possibly be wrong!

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am also feeling the mojo that perhaps the time has come for these cars - deservedly so for the e9 - nicely done on your part.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Stevehose... I totally agree!

I had a feeling back in the early 1990s that Muscle Cars were a good investment... I bought 4-5 (Shelby GT 500KR convert, Chevelle 454 Convert, 440 Cuda Convert, Hurst Olds Indy Pace Car Convert, etc...)

Unfortunately I was forced to sell them during the 1990s recession and I got all the money at the time... $14,000 for the Shelby KR, $12,500 for the Chevelle 454, $12,000 for the Cuda etc... I was dead on with my choices just about 8-10 years early!!!

Ask me how pissed I get when a Shelby sells on the TV auctions for $350,000:cry:

Now if my instincts are right the E9s are the sleepers...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the feeling in 1984 when I bought my 1st coupe - i chose it instead of a mint '66 427-435 corvette convertible and a Dino spyder - all were the same price - I chose the wrong investment but I loved the car! I would have unloaded the other 2 quickly.

I also missed out on vintage guitars in the late 70's - the '59 Les Paul I wanted on 48th Street in NYC for $2500 that I couldn't afford is now worth $350k. I sold my '69 Les Paul in '83 for $500 now it's worth $25k

I did score with my McIntosh hi fi from the 50's and 60's - paid next to nothing in mid 80's because I thought they were way cool and sounded great now it's worth a lot but no way I am selling - the sound and smells of the tube components are part of the enjoyment - just like my e9.

Oh well - no biggie - we buy cars because we like them - thats enough reason.

I had a feeling back in the early 1990s that Muscle Cars were a good investment...

execmalibu

Reaction score
McIntosh HiFi.. Isnt a Mac a computer?

I have a pair of MC-240s Bi-Amped and hooked up to my MR-71,with a Thorens TD 125...

My Speakers are the huge Altec Model 19s (Voice of the theatre Horns and 15 inch 604E woofers in a nice Walnut box)... Now that took a little negotiating before my wife accepted these monsters in our living room...

If you like your Rock and Roll loud then this is the hot ticket!

If you were around LA during the peak of the Rock and Roll era you would have known about the world famous Record Plant Recording Studio.. I have the actual 604Es from the early 1970s Record Plant Studio that the Doors, Janice Joplin, Dylan, the Stones etc used when they cut their albums!

I sold a 1968 Tele for $1,200 because I thought the original paint was to beat up... What a moron I was!

PS, I bought my Dino Spyder in 1982 and still own it! 28,000 miles and still the original paint!

Attachments

• DINO 8.jpg
    DINO 8.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice - I have an MPI-3 Oscilloscope, MX-110 Z series tuner pre-amp, a pair of MC-75's, a pair of MC-30's, a 2505 amp plus MQ-101 equalizer and my old Phillips 312 turntable from high school. All mint. Love the stuff. But I look at it more than I listen to it. Like the e9, I am fascinated by it's workmanship and sentimental place in time.

I have a pair of MC-240s Bi-Amped and hooked up to my MR-71,with a Thorens TD 125...

execmalibu

Reaction score
If the wife would stop YELLING turn it DOWN I might use my stereo occasionally

Nice - I have an MPI-3 Oscilloscope, MX-110 Z series tuner pre-amp, a pair of MC-75's, a pair of MC-30's, a 2505 amp plus MQ-101 equalizer and my old Phillips 312 turntable from high school. All mint. Love the stuff. But I look at it more than I listen to it. Like the e9, I am fascinated by it's workmanship and sentimental place in time.

She does not understand that Eddy VanHalen (who I sold 2 cars to) intended to have 1984 played very loud!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm glad we're all sick puppies. i almost bought a 246 dino in 1980 ... only one problem, i'm really tall from the waste up and 6'-3" + i didn't fit in it. but its still one of the prettiest cars ever ... just like our coupes.

as an old rock + roller of the past, my tastes are a little different, but still big. magneplanar mg-3a speakers, bryston amp + pre-amp, linn turntable, rotel cd, kimber silver cables, etc. the difference for me is that the maggies sound the most like a live concert - airy with a big soundstage.

so back to the topic of our cars ... who's got some great sound setup in the coupe they want to tell us about.

scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My sound system is the engine and exhaust - the old Becker radio, cassette and 4 speakers are rarely on.

Reaction score
I also had a 246gt which I traded even for 2- 3.0csi coupes. The ferrari was shot, a grey
Market wreck that needed a huge amount of work including a new crankshaft.
Beautiful to look at but a pain to work on.
Paul Brounstein

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
E9's are price sleepers

+1 for the past 20 years.

PS I have two serious collectors willing to pay handsomely for the BLUMAX--BTW--provenance counts!

And when I see recent selling prices of M-1's I do feel a pain or two in the part of the anatomy that follows the rest of this old guy.