1971 Euro 3.0 CS 4 speed on BaT

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bidding and comments are very low with 3 days to the end.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
"According to the seller, the quarter panels and inner fenders were replaced under previous ownership in the 1980s, while the rear left inner fender appears to have been repaired. The seller notes rust around the trunk lid seal and prior bodywork around the lower edge of the inner passenger door. "

Maybe that's scaring people, but if the body work was done well, should be no issues. That's a big "if" however.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure where this is, but looks to be surface rust, but still a tiny bit disconcerting:

1971-BMW-3.0CS-193-06597-scaled.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That coupe has many issues for sure.
The seller seems to be up front about them (at least the ones that he is aware of). I would think the selling price will reflect the condition. There is a lot of work that could be done and some that should be done, but it would be a fun driver while pecking away at them.

The bid is now up to the invoice amount of work performed on the car by Carl Nelson in 2020. $11k :oops: . Unless you enjoy wrenching and are good at it, you best bring a big check book to the ownership of one of these cars.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not many comments and with a day to go at $15.5K, even with all the issues, it still seems like there should be more action on this. I see a RNM.

rickpbaker

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my car. Didn't meet reserve. I tried to be super honest with the listing and answer everyone in the comments. It's a lot of work prepping and documenting a car for BAT. Whilst my car isn't perfect cosmetically, it has very little rust (in my opinion) and is a great looking daily driver. I'd still like sell it as I'm working on a family project. I've got it on Craigslist and eBay. If anyone is interested, reach out here or there.

@teahead that area is in the trunk, at the very rear of the car. Those aren't rust holes. As best I've been able to ascertain from speaking to the son of the original owner (who is a member here), his father drilled holes in the trunk to fit a tow carriage under the rear of the car to tow it across the country sometime in the 80's. There's some angle iron in other parts of the trunk relating to this, as well as hooks welded under the nose of the car oddly enough. Took me a while to unravel that little mystery! Here's some photos of the area in question in case you're interested:

Attachments

• 1971 BMW 3.0CS-150.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-150.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-146.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-146.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-147.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-147.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-149.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-149.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-168.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-168.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-171.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-171.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-172.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-172.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1971 BMW 3.0CS-173.jpg
    1971 BMW 3.0CS-173.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 75

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Definitely a lovely car. Probably would have gotten $70k last year when it seemed to be an E9 buying frenzy.

I hope you get at least $65k for it and the nice thing about your car is the replacement body panels that fixed a lot of rust I bet.

Panel fitment is tricky and I guess the big bux go for cars w/perfect panels.

Good luck! Really nice car!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This was RNM at $45k in February.

Unless there are a bunch E9 buyers that have entered the market since February (and I doubt it) the MOST this seller should expect is $45k. That's what the market said the car was worth then and I don't think the market has changed.

I'd hate to be in a position right now to have to sell a collector car. It would not be fun.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is summer a better time to sell? Who knows. All things equal and with the visible rust issues $45-50k would be well sold. Still a pretty car.

“Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
Gonna be different this time”
…Talking Heads

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he's in LA, he's got East Coast Rust on the car.

Should have sold it last time at $45k when it went RNM.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I could actually prioritize e9 stuff right now I would buy this at 45K. A 72 is preferred but this is exactly what I am looking for in a project.

rickpbaker

Reaction score
Relisted my car on BAT again this morning guys. Spent several thousand over the last few month taking care of some of the issues you and others helped me with here so just wanted to call that out. Thanks.

rickpbaker

Reaction score
That's my car, not trying to get rich off this, adjusted my reserve and fixed some of the issues that people focused on back in February. Rust hasn't bothered me in the 14 years I've owned it. Easy to fix when and if I ever decided to repaint it. Figured the next guy would rather see what's there. Drives great, has all the pieces, don't want to sell it but am building a house and if the bank says jump I don't even get to ask how high!