HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CSA per the VIN.

This comment probably helped stoke the bidding more than most:

"
21 at 3:27 PM
EuroFixer 20
I worked on this car extensively back in 2005-07 like the seller mentions while at La Jolla before opening my own shop. Back then, I worked on a lot of these cars and can tell you that of hundreds I’ve seen, this is probably 2nd nicest. The nicest one I’ve ever seen or worked on was a car I did about 6 years ago. It had a 6 page spread a year after I completed it and that car sold for into the six figures as expected. Luckily I know the current owner on that one as well and I have first dibs should it be sold at any point.

Last I saw this car it was still extremely well sorted; basically the same as it was when it left me. The previous owner was very meticulous as the car shows. He was also very particular in who he sold the car to when the current owner purchased it and for good reason. To my knowledge the car has been kept as expected by the current owner. If anyone has any questions feel free to bounce them off of me and I can answer best to my recollection. GLWS and whomever the high bidder is, you’re making an incredible purchase."

And that BaT commenter is to be avoided at all cost, he left LJI after trying to screw Carl several years ago. He would never dare to join us here.

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just kidding of course, but I will say after having read a hundred BaT auction listings, it is very rare that one of them reads like an actual owner selling a car. Clearly lawyers are writing them and covering their six, the over use of “reportedly” and other ambiguous adverbs has left me on the sidelines.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just kidding of course, but I will say after having read a hundred BaT auction listings, it is very rare that one of them reads like an actual owner selling a car. Clearly lawyers are writing them and covering their six, the over use of “reportedly” and other ambiguous adverbs has left me on the sidelines.
I think the language they is use is clearly CYA. And yes, they write the copy for the seller, and many sellers would do it differently, myself included. But sellers can always join in the comments to add supplemental information, fortunately.

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The point about Euro CSi original 3.0 vs. 3.5 swap is an interesting one. My CSi is soon to go to paint (finally! It's happening!) and then assembly. I have the original numbers matching engine, and was going to just keep it stock, but I've been leaning towards putting a 3.5 B35 in. I've just been hearing too much about what a better driver the 3.5 makes the car. Plus there has been a lot of metal work and stitch welding throughout (the unbelievably) extensive metal work and rust removal on the coupe, so its a much more solid and 'non-flexible flyer' body that would handle the higher torque and HP well. My thought is put the later engine in and keep the rebuilt 3.0 available, if I ever sell it the buyer can choose to go to stock. That way all the boxes are checked - I think? I'm guessing most here would go this route if they were in my shoes, this way any buyer (if I ever sell the coupe which is not in the plans) would have a choice of two cars, effectively. Thoughts?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The point about Euro CSi original 3.0 vs. 3.5 swap is an interesting one. My CSi is soon to go to paint (finally! It's happening!) and then assembly. I have the original numbers matching engine, and was going to just keep it stock, but I've been leaning towards putting a 3.5 B35 in. I've just been hearing too much about what a better driver the 3.5 makes the car. Plus there has been a lot of metal work and stitch welding throughout (the unbelievably) extensive metal work and rust removal on the coupe, so its a much more solid and 'non-flexible flyer' body that would handle the higher torque and HP well. My thought is put the later engine in and keep the rebuilt 3.0 available, if I ever sell it the buyer can choose to go to stock. That way all the boxes are checked - I think? I'm guessing most here would go this route if they were in my shoes, this way any buyer (if I ever sell the coupe which is not in the plans) would have a choice of two cars, effectively. Thoughts?
Sounds like a rock solid plan from my perspective. Curious what others think.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like the perfect plan as it sounds like you intend to drive and enjoy it for some time.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man - what a flurry at the end. Still well bought from what I can see. So sorry Scott, that you didn't get it. Beautiful car - hope the new owner joins the forum.
the beauty of BaT - when you have 2 - 3 bidders who want the car ... the price goes up and up quickly at the end. Scott C. put a bid in at 3:27 for 80k ... 10 minutes later it sells for 26k more - 3 other bidders.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know both the seller and the buyer of the Malaga CS on Bat. Well sold and well bought. No spoiler alert from me. I've recommended the new owner to join us when the coupe arrives.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Even though the Granatrot had GREEN screwdrivers I suspect that it was because it was a newer refurb that also made a difference.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Curious why THIS Malaga sent for $20k less than the WA state Granatrot one? Simply because the latter had a much more better engine??

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-3-0cs-11/

I think that bring a trailer is a bit of a crapshoot. It would be like asking a grocery store why checkout #5 sold twice as many M&M’s as checkout #4. It all depends on who was shopping that day, and how impulsive they were feeling. That’s why I gave up trying to SWAG the outcome of bat auctions.

It is my hunch however that metallic e9’s in colors less common than Polaris and Fjord seem to do well in auction. There isn’t enough data to support that hypothesis though. Lastly, the engine in the granatrot was pretty special, and I think it helped.

Bwana

Reaction score
This was Shaun's car??? LOL, this is the reason I bought a Coupe in the first place. I was looking for a real "car" as a DD to replace my Toyota Truck and was casting about for anything that might fill the bill for a GT type long range cruiser. We were in the Bay area 10 years ago, he passed us on San Pablo Dam Rd in El Sobrante and we thought "what's that?" I only remembered the Bavaria from that era, not the Coupe. Went home to my brother's house and Googled it. Found mine later from a broker in Seattle and never looked back. Damn, talk about a small world.

And yes, the car is awesome in person.

shanon

Reaction score
Shawn's ( not my brother) old car..

Small world....ill have to dig up the old pics from the old "Monte Diablo" when he brought his out to join us...Jabberjaw was present too...

Wonder how many from that 'spirited' day are now in the six figure coupe club...
including TJs....3!?;)

Bwana

Reaction score
Yep, this is from when we met up with him at some coffee house just off the Dam road. Looks like it may have been 2010. He still had the side markers and "automatic" on the trunk lid.

Attachments

• P3230148.JPG
    P3230148.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 293

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if it was born a CS ... it is a CS. you can put an injected engine in it but the VIN proves its a CS. that being said, a true CSi is a potentially valuable car if it is very original with matching numbers engine and in great shape. a CSi with a 3.5L engine swap is basically like the restomod CS.

nothing wrong with a restomod CS ... that's what i have. mine is a driver to enjoy, just like what Craterface describes. its a very nice driver, but not a collectors car. i might even have a 3.5 CSi badge on it, but its still a 2800 cs VIN

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, this is from when we met up with him at some coffee house just off the Dam road. Looks like it may have been 2010. He still had the side markers and "automatic" on the trunk lid.

Jeff,

No wonder you left on a mission to buy a coupe after seeing that. Was that sheepskin on the shoulder seat belt?