1972 CSI Restoration

Jahan

Reaction score
I am in the process of restoring a 1972 CSI that I bought last year. Original color was Atalantic Blue but the previous owner had painted it black. This is a frame off complete restoration & we are done with all the body work, taking care of the usual rust issues & replacing the panels as necessary. It is primed & ready for paint. I have decide to go with Baikal Blue.
The car acme with 3.5L Kjet turbo engine & 265 five speed gearbox. It was in a good mechanical shape with a few leaks here and there but because of the paint, body condition & some rust issues(fenders & front floor pans) I decided to go all the way.
I can either install the same engine or I have access to relatively clean M6 engine that has been out of the original car for a few years & it might need a rebuilt or at least opened up for inspection and all seals & gaskets changed. I would like to know if any one has done a S38 Engine swap & if there are write ups on it. I was told that the blocks are the same & so the mounting points do not need to be adjusted! Is it worthwhile and does add value to this project? What do you all think?

Bwana

Reaction score
Several threads on this topic, try a Google search on "S38" on the forum

"s38 site:http://www.e9coupe.com/forum"

I'd love to have one, not sure what it does for the value of the car, up or down?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
do the research on the site - it is NOT a simple plug and play operation. i believe that some modifications are required to the firewall to get it to fit.

the s38 is a great + powerful engine ... it likes to run up in the revs. very expensive to rebuild (compared to a regular m30). with that much power put into a coupe, you better invest in better brakes and look at stiffening up the car / new bushings, etc.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Turbo sounds pretty nice to me, it would be allot less expensive to clean up and re-install, plus you would have a very unique and I'm sure beautiful car.