1972 CSL $388,000!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMO, restoration cost and the lack of true restoration expertise has, and will continue to ultimately hold these back from becoming big investment quality cars. Mainly the expertise. Unlike other marques/models (think Gullwing, 73 911 RS, M3 EVO etc... , it's my opinion (worth exactly 3.5 cents) that CSL specific knowledge is too closely guarded by the true cogniscenti which muddies the water with new, wealthy, younger investors looking at potential additions to their collections. Everyone has an opinion on what's correct or not and it's frustrating. BMW's lack of any records on options etc is another significant factor in repressing the values. I mean I own one and still find it difficult to get straight answers half the time!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I definitely get what you are saying. However, I have yet to see any vendor on here asking for insight, other than perhaps Benny by way of @scottevest. I think that call out speaks volumes, because he got expert advice that was in turn delivered to a non-boutique shop.

Individual owners are always welcome to put their CSL through the peanut gallery. Owners post pics and members comment quietly to themselves. If owners solicit input, they will get it. Some owners reach out via PM, text, and email, and some essentially hire private e9 consultants to address their needs. FS Listings from an unknown 3rd party are fair game, and we see the observations trickle in.

One has to admit that many owners are as equally guarded as the CSL knowledge holders. They are protecting their investment and/or feelings. There is nothing worse than buying or completing a car only to have someone tell you it’s all “wrong”.

With all of that said, most of the “issues” highlighted on these CSL’s can be “corrected” for under $10K. It’s nothing to sneeze at but that money just adds equity, peace of minds, and for some - bragging rights. There are a few CSL’s floating around with a facepalm restoration but the vast majority are good to put a smile on anyone’s face. They will all get another restoration in 30 years anyway. :D

IMO, restoration cost and the lack of true restoration expertise has, and will continue to ultimately hold these back from becoming big investment quality cars. Mainly the expertise. Unlike other marques/models (think Gullwing, 73 911 RS, M3 EVO etc... , it's my opinion (worth exactly 3.5 cents) that CSL specific knowledge is too closely guarded by the true cogniscenti which muddies the water with new, wealthy, younger investors looking at potential additions to their collections. Everyone has an opinion on what's correct or not and it's frustrating. BMW's lack of any records on options etc is another significant factor in repressing the values. I mean I own one and still find it difficult to get straight answers half the time!

giannicsl

Reaction score
Hi Markos,

Your opinion is acceptable in many points.
I respect her. my opinion is different.let me explain...

restoring a carbureted version of the CSL to its originality is very, very complicated, if not impossible if you don't have the "right details" of the time. I give an example of all
the rear window and the 2 Perspex rear plastics ... if a carburetor no longer has them because it has lost them over time
he will never be able to have them again ....
the reproductions in America are also finished ... only some reproductions in green and never for the rear window ...
obviously you can have them rebuilt, but the engraved logo will no longer be possible to have ....
this is just an example showing how hardly a csL carburettor has remained original.
specifically it will be much easier to restore a 2275xxx or 2285xxx or even 4355xxx ..... they will be able to take many pieces from the cs-CSI
then
always proposing a CSL carburetors with completely wrong weights to mind-boggling figures, always hoping for the goodness of the seller, seems to me not right.
$ 10,000 is not even enough to remove paint and repaint a car that has been badly restored ... see badly made sills and much more.
in my opinion an excellent csL carburetors can be worth even more than 400k
, but it must be and have all its original pieces and features ...
see former Yannick machines
or the former Italian Inka and Lorenzo's Colorado
and to return to today's days the beautiful yellow csL of Mario Romeo ...
we are talking about really rare machines, with all their right accessories and features.
for years, unfortunately, I have seen various international markets
machines passed off as bibles of originality with incredible prices ...
I hope these little experiences of ours, even if conflicting, can help those who really want a particular, rare machine,
it doesn't matter whether it's called BMW, Alfa or Porsche,
but the spirit must always be to safeguard originality. ..
the right details make the difference and a lot between a beautiful car and a rare car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @giannicsl,

Thanks for the opinion also. I’ll add that when I mentioned the $10K figure, I wasn’t referring to paint and body work. I’m talking about buying 5 hole wheels, valve covers, relays, zinc bolts, roundels, brass tanks, stickers, 380 Alpina wheels, and all of the other comparatively inexpensive bits.

Given that I don’t own a CSL, I don’t feel that it is my place to list the best ways to clone a CSL. Many parts are available to get people most of the way there. Doing a good job in the process is another story.

Since you mentioned Perspex, Coupe King sells Perspex labeled lexan:

hi Markos,
your opinion is acceptable in many points.
I respect her.
my opinion is different.
let me explain

restoring a carbureted version of the CSL to its originality is very, very complicated, if not impossible if you don't have the "right details" of the time.I give an example of all
the rear window and the 2 Perspex rear plastics ... if a carburetor no longer has them because it has lost them over time he will never be able to have them again ....the reproductions in America are also finished ... only some reproductions in green and never for the rear window ...obviously you can have them rebuilt, but the engraved logo will no longer be possible to have ....this is just an example showing how hardly a csL carburettor has remained original. specifically it will be much easier to restore a 2275xxx or 2285xxx or even 4355xxx ..... they will be able to take many pieces from the cs-CSI
then
always proposing a CSL carburetors with completely wrong weights to mind-boggling figures, always hoping for the goodness of the seller, seems to me not right.
$ 10,000 is not even enough to remove paint and repaint a car that has been badly restored ... see badly made sills and much more.
in my opinion an excellent csL carburetors can be worth even more than 400k
, but it must be and have all its original pieces and features ...
see former Yannick machines
or the former Italian Inka and Lorenzo's Colorado
and to return to today's days the beautiful yellow csL of Mario Romeo ...
we are talking about really rare machines, with all their right accessories and features.
for years, unfortunately, I have seen various international markets
machines passed off as bibles of originality with incredible prices ...
I hope these little experiences of ours, even if conflicting, can help those who really want a particular, rare machine,
it doesn't matter whether it's called BMW, Alfa or Porsche,
but the spirit must always be to safeguard originality. ..
the right details make the difference and a lot between a beautiful car and a rare car.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a feeling most high-dollar collectors just don't know or don't care enough if every bolt is perfect. They'll buy, then flip;

lather, rinse, repeat.

giannicsl

Reaction score
dear Markos,
you are without your knowledge or fira and you know it
an excellent connoisseur of the E9 world.
I have learned in 30 years
of constant questions and breakups he balls to the great gurus of the world E9
....,. and I still have a lot to learn
so I always thank you when I participate in these threads
however, I believe that coupeguy or coupeking plastics are also exhausted by them.
a sales manager replied that clear lexan no longer produce it ..., but I hope I'm wrong
a sales manager replied that clear lexan no longer produce it ..., but I hope I'm wrong
un responsabile commerciale ha risposto che lexan chiaro non lo produce più ..., ma spero di sbagliarmi

giannicsl

Reaction score
dear Markos,
however, I believe that coupeguy or coupeking plastics are also exhausted by them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks @giannicsl,

I heard that also but it is listed as available. You can also buy it here without the logo. That is likely what I will do with my project.

dear Markos,

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oldenzaal carb CSL should list soon:

I think $400K is where carb CSL’s in top shape should be. That is where they were for a brief time. IMO, it is the most difficult CSL to value and sell.

$175K for one that is pretty but needs a conservative $50K just to “look” correct.

Bonhams had an e9coupe alumni car valued at $377K that was RNM, but ultimately sold to a CA owner. I don’t know the price, but still needed quite a bit. One can assume that it would for well over $200K.

I know of at least two under restoration right now. One in the US, one in europe.

A total of three inka lightweights are on the market:

2211711 is for sale:

Then there is this one that Oldenzaal will be listing soon. I don’t have the VIN of this 221XX but it is near identical to the one in this FS thread. Proper steering wheel and other variations highlight that it is indeed a different car.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
"The aluminiun trunklid stays open with a stick."

I'm sure this is worth a 50k bump. They really should enlist a native English speaker to right(write) the ads for a car of this rarity and caliber IMHO...

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to the car values. When 22b Subarus are getting 315k and pimped out old broncos are getting 150k (on BaT at least) , I don't see any reason why an homologation special shouldn't command big money...