1972 E9 Automatic on BaT

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score

This thing looks amazing. I can't believe how original it looks. Look at those door cards and console sides. I can't find much to fault except maybe a little heavy on the under paint protection below the rear bumper.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous. The engine compartment has that OEM cosmoline look. Akin to this car:

Even tho it's an automatic, sunroof/ac and being a 1972 (one of the good years IMHO), I think it may reach $75k.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's still an amazing price IMHO for a 2.5 car w/an unrestored under carriage/components (i.e. suspension looks all original).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BaT prices are driven by megabuck bidders with little knowledge of these cars, they just know they want one and flex their buying muscles.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Markos -
It was good of you to point out the (IMO) dubious nature of last second questions for items that are already documented or understood. Those kind of questions do not have any positive effect on outcomes and can definitely chill the bidding (I have seen that in the past here).

I'm sure the commenter will take the other side of things if it were his own auction and someone did that....

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree on undersold
Does anyone know for sure if the side and hood grills would have been silver? Just curious, I decided on silver, I think black on the black 'filler' just disappears

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos -
It was good of you to point out the (IMO) dubious nature of last second questions for items that are already documented or understood. Those kind of questions do not have any positive effect on outcomes and can definitely chill the bidding (I have seen that in the past here).

I'm sure the commenter will take the other side of things if it were his own auction and someone did that....

Thanks @lip277,

Of course as a non-bidder my opinion is irrelevant. I know you and many others have purchased vehicles on BaT. I will forever chose to find my own treasures.

As far as the paint job goes, pictures don’t lie. You don’t need to be an e9 expert to know that the car didn’t leave the factory looking like this.

4E2BFBF2-6B7C-4CD2-9141-9AAAD4C2EE8C.jpeg

I think the car is absolutely fantastic, and I would love to own it. This auction peaking $100K restored a bit of faith in BaT for me. Well deserved IMO!

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
i went to see this car and it was as good if not better than on the pictures. The seller drove the car with me seating in the passenger seat. (so i cannot say i drove it),but it performed really well..As for the paint..the right side had probably been repainted or retouched..the clear was flacking bellow the rear aluminum trims..
That said it is an exceptional car and there can't be too many left in this condition. I expect it will need a bit of sorting as it gets driven more..