1973 3.0 CS 3.5 L engine, 5 Speed on BAT

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
reserve not met at 70k? Another reason for me to believe BAT shill bids cars

They don't need to as the market does it for them. They also netted several mil last year so why risk it. For a 5% commission? BaT negotiates the reserve with the seller. If it's a car that will generate interest then they will accept the sellers high reserve number. If it's something mundane they negotiate to get a reasonable reserve which only helps those looking to purchase. Makes total sense.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Yeah im aware of how it works, but have you ever sold a car on there or tried too? They lowball the living hell out of your reserve, unless the car is VERY nice. They have tons of sales that dont meet reserve. They also only like to publicize the cars that get into bidding wars. Its just funny how the cars reach insane numbers... not to sell. You could do the same thing with a few buddies on ebay. A good example is the black 3.0CSI that didnt meet reserve at 78k in november last year. Dude sold it for 50k at barret jackson this year. Not saying BAT does it themselves, but i wouldnt be surprised because its funny how the cars slowly reach a reasonable reserve with 4 days on the clock left. Its not uncommon practice in auction houses or anywhere, it gets people excited to lift their card. And BAT has the audience for it. Hats off to them, but its a roll of dice listing with them from what i gather.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
there are shill bidders everywhere. Especially no reserve auctions where the owner will buy the car back if it is seriously low bidding. Will have a friend buy it for them.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sold a car on BAT a couple of years ago and was pleased with the sale and the interaction between BAT and me. They tried to lower my reserve but I would not agree. Car sold for about 40% above reserve. If Lorelei doesn't sell to an e9 forum member, I will list it for sale on BAT with a reasonable but NOT low reserve.

Gary

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah im aware of how it works, but have you ever sold a car on there or tried too? They lowball the living hell out of your reserve, unless the car is VERY nice. They have tons of sales that dont meet reserve. They also only like to publicize the cars that get into bidding wars. Its just funny how the cars reach insane numbers... not to sell. You could do the same thing with a few buddies on ebay. A good example is the black 3.0CSI that didnt meet reserve at 78k in november last year. Dude sold it for 50k at barret jackson this year. Not saying BAT does it themselves, but i wouldnt be surprised because its funny how the cars slowly reach a reasonable reserve with 4 days on the clock left. Its not uncommon practice in auction houses or anywhere, it gets people excited to lift their card. And BAT has the audience for it. Hats off to them, but its a roll of dice listing with them from what i gather.

Yes, I sold that Viper Green 73 RSR tribute about a month ago. Got my reserve and the car did well. Where else are you going to expose your vehicle to a global market for 99 bucks. Do you know they've sold ~ 20000 plus cars since the auctions started? Great majority make reserve. Markets softens from time to time and the sold ratios fluctuate but they still average a lot of cars per week.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For sure some strange mods but generally speaking it looks like a cool build. I don't see any "janke" work done on her, I wonder what the reserve was?