1973 3.0 CSL in Canada

David Tang

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I have had the pleasure of a 1973 3.0 CSL in Taiga green since 1991. The car was German, appropriately located in Bavaria when I bought it and brought it over to Canada. I’ve had the privilege of being friends with Marcus Glarner, who has made it possible for me to enjoy the car all these years.

The CSL is a pre-Batmobile but the original owner, a doctor in Bavaria, had the front spoiler and the roof hoop installed. He also replaced the four wheels with BBS mesh wheels, although he kept the original spare (which still has the original Michelin XWX on it). Other period modifications include a oil temperature gauge, Schroff harnesses and a flexible gooseneck reading light. A different radio was also fitted at some point but has since been removed and I have never put in a radio since driving it leaves me with absolutely no desire to listen to music.

In the mid 90’s, I had the body restored with what was then the last thin gauge tail panel then available for a CSL. The car had been repainted gold at one point so all of the body panels were stripped back to bare metal, except (foolishly) the underside of the hood, which had the non-CSL underhood sound/heat foam proofing on it, which I thought we wouldn’t removed. I also had the roof hoop hole repaired and it is now just held on with just the rain gutter clamps and double sided body tape.

The car has 163,xxx km on it now with me putting on about 20,000 km of that. The first couple of years I drove it more than later, proving that restoring cars leads to a completely different mindset. For example the car hasn’t been driven in the rain since then. That hasn’t prevented it from being tracked every five years or so, although somewhat “gently”.

The CSL is the most valued of my other cars, most of which are BMWs and most of those M cars. Fittingly the CSL is not only BMW’s first Motorosport car, but my first. At the time I had a E28 535i, which was replaced with a 1991 E34 M5, then supplemented with a 2000 E36/8 M Coupe. I’ve had as winter cars a VW Passat Syncro wagon, a Mercedes W124 300E 4Matic and then a E39 540iT. All of those winter cars are gone now and I currently drive a E91 328ixT. I’ve recently added a 2006 E60 M5.

I can’t decide what I want to do about the interior of the CSL, which is, shall I say, quite original. Others might say it is a little tired. I’ve noted the trend towards keeping “patina” on cars. It does need new fabric on the driver’s side Scheel particularly where the fabric is very stretched and thin, one of the door panel wood trim pieces is imperfect and the dash on the passenger side is warped and needs repair. The bits that you interact with most are in fine shape which makes it less irritating (the dash is warped on the passenger side). I had a new proper replacement steering wheel before I bought it. Oddly, since the fabric is worn on the drivers side seat, the vinyl on the Scheels is replaced, I believe since the texture is different than on others that I have seen.

Adding to the confusion for me is the fact that CSLs seem to finally have appreciated a bit in the last several years and my storage situation is getting tight. Storing 4 cars each winter is getting difficult and I can no longer drive a manual transmission as a daily driver because of a nerve problem in my left foot. I don’t know whether I should be thinking about selling and letting the next owner deal with those issues or not. Or indeed which of the keeper cars to keep!

What would people think a fair price range for the car would be?

The CSL has the plexiglass rear window, thinner glass windows throughout, aluminum hood, trunk, door skins, gas tank lid, headlight covers etc. so it's correct. The front air dam, roof hoop and rear spoiler are not but neither the earlier owners nor I liked the CSL stripe so those are the only parts of the Batmobile kit on it. I waver back and forth even on the roof hoop, but generally think that the uniqueness of it slightly trumps the better lines of the car without it.

I look forward to participating in the forum further. I'm going to try and attach some photos but am not sure it will work.

If they don't here are some links:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28785058/1973 3.0 CSL/3.0 CSL at Thornhill Cruisers-.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28785058/1973 3.0 CSL/IMG_0998.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28785058/1973 3.0 CSL/3.0 CSL at Thornhill Cruisers-9387.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28785058/1973 3.0 CSL/3.0 CSL Burnt River Car Show-1060137.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28785058/1973 3.0 CSL/3.0 CSL at Thornhill Cruisers-9395.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28785058/1973 3.0 CSL/IMG_2905.JPG

Cheers!

David

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fix the seat and wood (makes a huge impression on 6 figure cars) and put the CSL stripe on it. Sell it for no less than $150k if the body SHOWS ZERO rust. Get it professionally detailed / polished.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi David,

Enjoyed reading your story a lot. Looking a the pictures it looks like a super nice original. If everything is still in working order I wouldn't replace anything. Keep it as original as possible certainly if you are planning to let her go. The new owner will only appreciate the originality and its up to him to spend money on things he would like to see improved.

You did your part in preserving this icon by taking care of her for 25 years and that is what it's all about if you look at BMW classic recent publicity.

"We didn't build her for 1971-1975 but forever"

Attachments

• Postcard.jpg
    Postcard.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
No changes!

I would leave it as is inside. The interior is fine.
I myself don't live the wheels and the car appears lowered. But if you like them, keep them.
If you want to sell it, I would put some Alpinas on it.
Scott

David Tang

Reaction score
Peter, your Turkis CSi is equally beautiful but I appreciate the gasp.

David
1973 3.0 CSL
1991 E34 M5
2000 E36/8 M Coupe
2001 K1200RS
2006 E60 M5
2012 E91 328ixT

Wife's: 1995 MB W124 E320

Gone (with a bit of sob in some cases with *):
1983 E21 320i
1987 K75S
1988 E28 535i*
1991 VW Passat G60 Syncro Wagon
1990 MB 300E 4Matic*
2003 E39 540iT*

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Re CSL

Welcome David. What a beauty. Now I know there are at least 2 Taiga CSL in Ontario. The other one is a RT hand drive. If Marcus has been tending to it than I am sure it runs like a clock. You should bring it to Tedfest in June the more E9s the better.

Gary

73 3.0 CS Chamonix - sold

86 E28 M535I - sold

01 E39 530I

David Tang

Reaction score
Gary, I keep trying to make it to Tedtfest but my wife wants to be at the cottage on the long weekend. I've made a trip back on the wrong day and spent the morning driving around the West end wondering where all the BMWs are. I'll try again next year. Taking it to the Fenelon Falls Classic Car show didn't generate the right amount of interest!

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Re CSL

David maybe your in luck. Tedfest is June 25th this year. We would look forward to having you attend. I am in Newmarket where are you located.

Best Regards

Gary