1973 BMW 3.0S on BaT Automatic

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Couple things to keep in mind on this car. I know the Monte Rio area very well. Cars from there can have rust issues due to lot tall old growth redwoods and it can get very damp. But it doesn't sound like the current owner has had the car very long. They do say there are rust bubbles. Cool 007 plate, looks random. On the bright side, and I had a hunch, the car looks like it has been serviced at North Bay Bavarian (by the vanity plate). It is a very reputable shop up there. The owner Rick Row and I go way back to when I was a kid, my Dad had a commercial unit right down the street from his shop and I would go there all the time. They would know it inside and out I'm sure; worth at least a phone call if very serious. Rick is very busy so I wouldn't waste his time unless you are dead set on buying this.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finally! The bumper guards are truly upside down!
Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 8.16.23 AM.png

The one on the right side of the car looks correct (to me). The one on the left side of the car looks like it may have been mounted incorrectly or is the wrong one for the car?

The red handle screwdriver in the tool roll makes up for this however. :)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That strut top stubbed in metal plate is something to pay attention to.

it’s most likely cracked or rusted metal below.

as always- have a pro inspection before spending your money.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one will need a lot of work for sure. Too much old undercoating, hidden rust issues, strut top as Don confirmed, but hey, it has a motorcycle tool roll and tools and a Chilton manual, what more could you need?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chilton!!!!!

I love that book!

Good for all cars- 1600 to M6

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I grew up in Sea Ranch for 8 years, know Timber Cove well. Great drive... If you go past Timber Cove and go to Stewarts Point Store, take a right on Skaggs Springs Rd. and have one of the best driving experiences in Northern CA. The Richardsons who are close family friends still own the store going back many generations. Great Hwy 1 drive then loop back to the 101 on Skaggs Springs, you will never forget it.

shanon

Reaction score
I grew up in Sea Ranch for 8 years, know Timber Cove well. Great drive... If you go past Timber Cove and go to Stewarts Point Store, take a right on Skaggs Springs Rd. and have one of the best driving experiences in Northern CA. The Richardsons who are close family friends still own the store going back many generations. Great Hwy 1 drive then loop back to the 101 on Skaggs Springs, you will never forget it.
Yes, fond memories of Stewarts Pt for lunch then onto Skaggs Springs Rd with a very playful trio consisting of a primrose TR6, a tan XKE and my E9. A good 'Battle of the Sixes'. An epic day out. ;)

1662928664761.jpeg

1662928775219.jpeg

1662933233625.jpeg

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, fond memories of Stewarts Pt for lunch then onto Skaggs Springs Rd with a very playful trio consisting of a primrose TR6, a tan XKE and my E9. A good 'Battle of the Sixes'. An epic day out. ;)

View attachment 148337

View attachment 148338

View attachment 148347
He ha, there it is....as a kid I still remember going under that deck out front of the store to look for coins and dollar bills that slipped through the cracks to buy a soda or candy. I am also old enough to remember having to sift through all the beer pull tabs. There were hundreds of them. It was a popular stop for the locals back in the 70's and 80's to BS after work, hunting, logging, etc. Love the car BTW, looking great!

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wife and I will be making that loop from Calistoga in early October. Sadly, just in a rental car.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
End of auction confusion. Bidding was around $47k near the end, then a bidder jumps to $58k and wins. But now it seems it was a mistake and meant to bid $48k and won’t stand by his bid. He had two minutes to comment that his bid was a mistake but didn’t.
Looks like reserve was $50k

Honolulu

Reaction score
Y'all are very quick to condemn what you haven't seen in person (neither have I). From the BAT ad "The seller notes that the passenger-side front strut screws have been slotted and a steel plate is being used as a washer."

There may/not be strut tower rust, we really don't know. It's odd there's a plate on one side only, but the ad offers a "reasonable" explanation, which is ignored in 18 posts above. I think we can be more compassionate, but subsequent posts may/not bear that out.