1973 Golf BMW E3 now Live on BaT - Yes it's mine......

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do suppose that you know that lots of folks here think that is you....:)
That’s part of the joke and Stephen Wright’s humor. The jokes on you. I’m not the best looking guy but I definitely wouldn’t post that pic if it was me. That guy kills me. I only wish I had half his wit and sense of humor. I have been called a half-wit in the past and took it as a compliment. Thank you. I’ll be here all week. LOL.

Last edited:

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Been away from the Forum. But cannot ignore the relationship between an E3, being a teenager and a dad. Speaks to the appreciate for things of quality that might define our future. Novel that so many teenagers seek it out later.

shanon

Reaction score
Been away from the Forum. But cannot ignore the relationship between an E3, being a teenager and a dad. Speaks to the appreciate for things of quality that might define our future. Novel that so many teenagers seek it out later.
An E3 and teenager theory: I think that many E3s were a teen's 'first' drive learning in and using their childhood/parent's cars when they first got their licenses. Forever making a memorable impression. I will perpetuate teens bonding with E3s having 'loaned' our E3 to my son while on his summer break from school. Good times for sure has he 'chauffers' his pals around (terrorizes?) the East Bay in a 5spd Malaga '73. ;)

GLWS! Nice car and watching auction! Love the air dam. Share the source?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An E3 and teenager theory: I think that many E3s were a teen's 'first' drive learning in and using their childhood/parent's cars when they first got their licenses. Forever making a memorable impression. I will perpetuate teens bonding with E3s having 'loaned' our E3 to my son while on his summer break from school. Good times for sure has he 'chauffers' his pals around (terrorizes?) the East Bay in a 5spd Malaga '73. ;)

GLWS! Nice car and watching auction! Love the air dam. Share the source?
I pM'd you...

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Avant-Garde uploaded the driving video to BaT, I love it, think they did a great job. I love the outside mic. It's a lot quiter than that in the cabin normally. Not bad for an almost 50 year old sedan.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And the back seat is perfect for the Passion Pit, oh I meant the local drive-in movie theater. The ones that exist only in my teenage, sex addled brain. Wait, that was a 56 Chevy where all the mischief happened, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And the back seat is perfect for the Passion Pit, oh I meant the local drive-in movie theater. The ones that exist only in my teenage, sex addled brain. Wait, that was a 56 Chevy where all the mischief happened, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
I saw Top Gun Maverick at the drive-in a couple days ago in VT, they still exist and evoke many youthful memories.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Ok, so I apologize for not giving you all a heads up before this auction went live on BaT. There was a little bit of a mix up on that but it is what it is and here we are. First off I want to thank many of you on this board for all your help, support, conversations, and general enthusiasm that we all share for these BMW's. Many of us own other models and are very loyal to the brand. I grew up with a Bavaria as many of you know since I was two years old and have really never not owned some model of BMW, only for brief stints when I was in college or living in San Francisco back in the late 90's. A garage spot was more than my rent.....LOL. And no way was I parking a vintage BMW on the street there, even then. Never a spot and vandalism was rampant even in lower Knob Hill.

That being said, recently I moved out of CA to Idaho, Northern Idaho Panhandle, Kootenai County. We made the move a year ago and at the time I was just finishing up one of the last major components to my 7 year long restoration of the Bavaria, that being the replacement 3.5L motor and finally getting around to spraying the engine bay when the motor was out. My original numbers matching motor that I do still own (available to new owner first at an agreed upon price) if they want it. I doubt they will, but I at least wanted to keep it for the hard core collector if they end up with the Bav. I obviously was NOT planning on selling anytime soon after such an endeavor.

Well, what I didn't take into account was the long winters here and owning a vintage BMW. I have lived in Jackson Hole and went to Colorado State but I didn't have cars that I felt I couldn't drive all throughout the winter, and never had a garage when I lived in the snow. This Bavaria, with it's low air dam, rear wheel drive and salt free condition (being in CA it's whole life until the move), I decided to keep it covered in my garage for 7-months over the winter, early Spring and not drive it. We never really had a Spring this year. Finally getting some nice weather. So, I had to think long and hard about my decision on keeping it. Garage space is a premium here, I have three spaces and actually turned the 3-car, into a 4-car with some shoehorning the Porsche in with jack rollers on all four wheels and still had to park the daily and my '75 Ford F-250 "High Boy" outside. I had a really hard time just looking at the poor Bavaria covered up all that time in the garage. I like to drive my cars, not look at them, and I couldn't even do that because they were covered.

So, after many sleepless nights, I made the decision to let her go. I want it out and about year long. I did most of my driving in CA in the winter as the temperatures were mild and at the time I didn't have A/C in the Bav as I do now. Blows super cold BTW. New Sanden pump and custom bracket.

I ended up hooking up with the Avant-Garde (911r) guys and the decision to sell was made. I drove the car from Coeur D'Alene to Portland Oregon for one last hoo-rah! Car drove very nicely, practically everything has been rebuilt, NOS, OEM parts etc. so I wasn't worried about it. It has been on drives up and down the CA coast a couple times to Monterey in 2016 for BMW's 100 Anniversary Legends and a great trip Chris Macha put on a couple years ago from Paso Robles to Carmel. Most of the driving was just up and down the Sourthern Cal coast and some fun twisty drives with SoCal Vintage, other drives with the local BMW group and of course C&C's.

That's the long and short....mostly long.....LOL. Anyhow, I am available for any questions, I will NOT be commenting on BaT throughout the auction so please address on this thread or PM me on here. If you would rather talk, just PM me as well and I will send my phone number. I am hoping it goes to one of you of course, that would be best case scenario. But if not, hopefully you will have a nice new member. I will definitely reach out to the new owner and tell him/her about e9coupe.com of course after the auction is over. Such a great resource all of you! I have our 2010 E61 BMW 535i X-drive M-Sport Touring which I love but it's my wife's car mostly. Most likely I will end up with some form of X-Drive myself for a daily. So far I have nothing but great things to say about those cars, I wish they made them new (535i Tourings). I will miss the Bavaria tremendously and all the comradery. Happy Driving! Cheers!
Good luck!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Awesome E3. Should do well me thinks.
Thanks bud, appreciate it, sure will be interesting to say the least. I'm very realistic with market conditions both in finance (domestic and international) and vintage/collectible cars right now. I I think it will sell no problem, just a matter of how many people are interested when the rubber meets the road final hour or so of auction close. Really last two minutes it seems.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good luck with auction today. Awesome car!! It should do very well.
Vince, I just looked and West Linn looks to be 25 miles from Portland. You should go check it out. I'm sure it will still be there a few days while payment is settled, shipping is figured out etc. And even if it is already gone, it is pretty cool checking out all the cars on consignment at Avant-Garde. Props to the owner Matt and Tom his manager whom I have been dealing with. Both big car guys (goes without saying right) but also just super cool. They are super busy, but I'm sure they will find the time if you are "interested" in a particular car, there are many there all the time to drool over.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vince, I just looked and West Linn looks to be 25 miles from Portland. You should go check it out. I'm sure it will still be there a few days while payment is settled, shipping is figured out etc. And even if it is already gone, it is pretty cool checking out all the cars on consignment at Avant-Garde. Props to the owner Matt and Tom his manager whom I have been dealing with. Both big car guys (goes without saying right) but also just super cool. They are super busy, but I'm sure they will find the time if you are "interested" in a particular car, there are many there all the time to drool over.

Cool! I know both of those guys. I almost went with them when I sold my old M3 but decided to go at it on my own on BaT. A few years ago, they had an e46 M3 convertible in their showroom (old location) and it had these beautiful staggered BBS RKs on it. I wasn't interested in the car because it was a SMG but I loved the wheels. I asked Matt, if I found the right M3 - would he consider selling those wheels to me. He said he would trade me if the car I found had OEM wheels on it. I found the right car a couple weeks later, I called Matt and we did the deal. Most dealers would never consider doing something like that.

gallery_40924_458_646552.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you all for your contributions to this car over the years. Advice, parts, fun comments, etc. Chris, yes it's funny, I told my wife..."ah cool" when it hit $25K or so, I was happy even with having to pay the commission to Avant-Garde etc. at $25K if it ended there. I didn't care about the money. Even where it ended up, believe it or not, just receipts alone, not to mention all the help and hours from all of you (Mike Burger, Chris Macha, Mike Pelly, Paul Cain, Stevehose, Tim Chinen etc. and of course Rey Rivera, his guys, my crazy body guy (fixed my air dam more than I like to admit), Carl from La Jolla Ind. (his guys), Sean Steele, Tony Kraus, Jim from Mesa Performance, Andrew Arsenault list goes on and on etc. ( sorry if I missed anybody)

I think I am still under water on the whole $$$ wise, believe it or not. What some people get, but most don't, restoring an e3 costs about the same as an e9. Only thing us e3 owners save some money on in the restoration is the wood dash, much more extensive on an e9, but two more doors and more trim to deal with. It's just paper fiat $$$ after all, but also time working with all of you, and that is the fun part you can't put a dollar value on. It was 7 years of great comrnodery and tons-O-fun along the way! That is what it is all about. Never add up all your receipts.....LOL.