1973 Rocker panel Assembly process Question.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
During the reassembly of the RH and LH rocker panel there are some issues. The rubber /chrome strip that attaches to the metal rocker panel has 6 plastic clips and two threaded studs. The plastic clips have a push pin that engages the clinch legs once thru the rocker panel.

The plastic pins sit in a grooved channel in the rubber and chrome strip. There must be some assembly sequence to attache this to the metal rocker panel. I have investigated several methods to get this properly attached and come up short.

Do the plastic pins insert into the rubber /chrome trim strip with the push pins engaged into the clips before they install into the metal rocker panel or is there another method??

It appears to be very difficult to push the trim strip thru the rocker panel hole once the push pins are installed in the rubber -chrome strip.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have this same problem with a 2002. Plastic clips go into rocker cover first, new clips aren’t like the originals and it’s hard to get the trim snapped over them. You might try opening up the slots a bit.

Last edited:

stphers

Reaction score
Chris, this is something I am fighting with right now on a 2002 one question, if you put the clips into the rocker mldg first. how do you get the center pins pushed the clip so it retains itself in the body?

Thanks, Rick

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can’t put them in the trim, they need to go in the body first. On one side I left the original black square mounts, good thing I did. On Passenger side I used the Walloth white clips, can’t get the rear half to attach. I put the forward bolt in first and worked my way towards the back, got half way! I edited my post, it was confusing as I now see.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OH JOY!

Just did this. Used white clips from W&N but also available from the stealer. Same clips as 2002.
It is just about impossible to get the chrome and rubber molding to snap into the clips. Yes, clips in rockers first.
What I did and saw this idea on here somewhere was get some nylon washers that fit over the post of the clips that goes into the rocker panel.
I double sticky taped them a couple at a time to a block of wood and then sanded them down until they were approx 1mm thick.
I then installed them under the clips.
This allows a little more relief so the rubber/chrome molding will "snap" on to the clips on the rocker panel. Still not easy to get on and in fact I had to push on the chrome molding after installed on the car to get a few stubborn ones to snap.
Drove 676 miles to Hilton Head and they were still there when I got home. Whew!

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
I’m about to install my rockers, I have purchased the clips from WN and will tackle this soon. i don’t have the hardware for my rockers (I didn’t take them off) ; looking at the parts diagram, its calling out for 2 different types of sheet metal screws. 3.5 by 13 and 3.5 by16 do I need both lengths (I counted 9 or 10), either or depending on serial number? I’m not able to find the front and rear part of the Supprt hardware either, are these nuts and bolts or sheet metal screws?also looks like there’s 2 studs that fit in the the front fender and rear chassis to hang the rockers on. the new rockers that I had installed have the hole provisioned for the front but not the back

Attachments

• F60FD037-FB19-4EB9-B0C1-A2911CE0299E.png
    F60FD037-FB19-4EB9-B0C1-A2911CE0299E.png
    908.7 KB · Views: 113
  • E5F995B3-7089-40E8-8448-428F38A772B5.png
    E5F995B3-7089-40E8-8448-428F38A772B5.png
    801.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 983D97F8-FD53-421C-9CE7-B08DA04EEB31.jpeg
    983D97F8-FD53-421C-9CE7-B08DA04EEB31.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 90975DF8-6321-4AB2-A48B-884D210CDC33.jpeg
    90975DF8-6321-4AB2-A48B-884D210CDC33.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 110
  • D6DC9E7F-9810-4C0C-BFA4-27211C0EB393.jpeg
    D6DC9E7F-9810-4C0C-BFA4-27211C0EB393.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 110

Rek

Reaction score
I read about how hard it was and didn't bother with the way the clips were used. I put a thread into the holes in the clips, inserted the clips in the chrome strip and then bolted the whole thing to the sill/rocker cover.
I used the metal fixing for the ends on each side. The whole thing is very solid and took minutes to complete.

My problem is that the chrome finish on the strips started to deteriorate very quickly and W&N say these parts are NLA. I currently have them off the car, have separated the chrome from the rubber or plastic element and they are being rechromed.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OH JOY!

Just did this. Used white clips from W&N but also available from the stealer. Same clips as 2002.
It is just about impossible to get the chrome and rubber molding to snap into the clips. Yes, clips in rockers first.
What I did and saw this idea on here somewhere was get some nylon washers that fit over the post of the clips that goes into the rocker panel.
I double sticky taped them a couple at a time to a block of wood and then sanded them down until they were approx 1mm thick.
I then installed them under the clips.
This allows a little more relief so the rubber/chrome molding will "snap" on to the clips on the rocker panel. Still not easy to get on and in fact I had to push on the chrome molding after installed on the car to get a few stubborn ones to snap.
Drove 676 miles to Hilton Head and they were still there when I got home. Whew!
This is the same trick I used to install lower chrome on the Bav. Those snap directly into the chassis rocker panel (no cover). Used some very thin nylon washers from Ace hardware and that allowed the chrome to snap into place.

Drew

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Gave up with the plastic clips and used small oval-headed captive steel bolts in the chrome strip, and a washer and nut on the inside of the rocker cover, with any projecting thread ground off. Did the preparation almost four years ago, and resumed work this past weekend - the rocker covers needed relieving at the door opening and few of the screw holes matched the originals in the body, so I drilled new ones as needed. Covers are in and look ok!