1974 3.0 csi for sale

Gernstetter

Reaction score
seriously nice photos.....looks like the car parked in front of Bailey's house at the end of Once Upon a Time in America....watched it today as Germany is basically closed due to Easter Holiday.....nice car....

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Very nice car. Just wondering if it's actually a '74 ?....seat style from earlier model together with location of wiper speed switch ? Nothing showed up on VIN search
Cheers,Simon

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
28th from last CSi so definitely built in 1975, it has earlier seat pleats and door panels, decals are in a few quirky places. It was featured in the Feb 2014 Roundel, author was Carl's chief mechanic Chris Keefer. In the article they call it a 73.

Funny that the owner was quoted as saying, "I've had several strong offers on the car since it's return, but it is simply not for sale. I love the car."

A stunning restoration overall.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yet another high dollar comp. I've started to keep a folder for these the next time someone says these are $30k cars.

keefer

Reaction score
Shouldn't last long . . .

Greetings All.

If I had the garage space, this car would be mine. I've thought about selling my 'toy' car to buy this, but I don't think I'd be able to make it happen in time. The car is as nice at it shows in photos. I'm glad it went through this shoot just for my own archives. Extremely biased, but I'm not sure there is another CSI out there as nice as this car.

Stefan - Aside from the fact that I was able to do the best work of my life and that the car came out as it did, we (La Jolla Ind.) didn't 'win' on this one. I probably billed about half the hours I had into it, if that. In the end we 'covered' but it didn't pay any bills.

HB Chris - I know what the owner got for the car (which is not the for sale price), and it was a good decision by him. He wasn't terribly happy to let it go, but he needed to make room so to speak. As far as the year, I'm trusting you on this. It came to the US from Italy, and like many cars, it gets registered as the wrong year, etc.

I'm hoping it goes to a very good home and is very well cared for. I love that car.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, you did an amazing restoration on this coupe and I thoroughly enjoyed your article. Hope to see more from you in the future.

keefer

Reaction score
Thanks Chris.

As a side note. I wrote that article long before it was published, so the owner's comments were 'out-dated' so to speak.

We elected to do the seats in the earlier fashion as I just don't think the late stitch pattern is all that attractive in comparison, and the door panels came with the car.

As far as prices go, this car will be worth over $125k in 3 years if trends continue. These cars are still dramatically under-priced for such works of art they truly are.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
As a former macro economist and investment manager, the recent price trends are not sustainable....however, as high end cars peak, there will be a lag in the lesser expensive cars peak, so I wouldn't plan on much more serious appreciation on these cars, there are simply too many of them, drive and enjoy them

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a former macro economist and investment manager, the recent price trends are not sustainable....however, as high end cars peak, there will be a lag in the lesser expensive cars peak, so I wouldn't plan on much more serious appreciation on these cars, there are simply too many of them, drive and enjoy them

Buzz kill.

Last edited:

alanmcg

Reaction score
digital article?

chris/keefer,
is there a link or downloadable version of the article?
thnks,
alanmcg

keefer

Reaction score
There is no download for the article. I respect the Roundel greatly and only scanned and emailed it to my parents. Won't send to anyone else as it is not my place to do so.

As far as value, there may be a decent amount of coupes on the road, but the numbers of cars in fine condition are quite low. Only a few go for sale a year, and there is a large price gap between the have and the have nots.

m73

Reaction score
Before I write this post, I would like to note that I am not trying to upset the powers that be. This is just my opinion.

Regarding values of our coupes:

I believe that the old German chain of command goes Mercedes, Porsche, BMW. And I am not referring to values or quality 'per-se.' Just the fact that the companies did and still do compete with one another so that the used car prices are also controlled by this. Its much like a 'hot potato' where the pressure gets passed down the chain of command.

Personally, I am not entirely happy with BMW's management of their classic division. Maybe the competition has led to a less than spectacular result. I believe that Mercedes is very good at what they do. Porsche, I am not sure about, but they have a very dedicated owner base and have created a market that rewards their hard work.

I really like these old BMW's and remember visiting the museum while an Inka CSL was being restored there. That story will probably come in a later post.

Nice car, but a tough market.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautifully executed restoration (and photos) but at this level my preference is to go with original (correct) seats and other interior panels (assuming we have a matching #s engine and D-jet in place). Since this will probably not be a driver, your market is a collector looking for "correctness" - no?

Also, not a big fan of the gloss finish on the cast aluminum parts- takes away from the organic/industrial nature of the D-jet plenum, blah, blah, blah.