1974 3.0CSi RHD Bonham's at Goodwood FOS

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm.
I wonder why.
Anyone on here actually seen this car in person?

Not me, but the experts on this forum don’t rate the car. See my thread from a while ago.

So not surprised the CSI didn’t sell.

I’d be surprised if the CSL actually sold for £70k.

Where are the prices published?

Last edited:

day66

Reaction score
From what I can see all the cars that sold are listed with the prices on the Bonhams website. Neither the CSI nor CSL have a price next to the lot, so i presume neither sold.

The CSI does seem to have been hanging around for a while, the Car and Classics ad has been updated, as I'm sure there was an old ad with an asking price just shy of £60k last time I looked. Even given the current asking price, you'd have to be crazy to buy at auction with a £70K guide price in the knowledge that there's a buyer's premium (and VAT on the premium) to pay.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I can see all the cars that sold are listed with the prices on the Bonhams website. Neither the CSI nor CSL have a price next to the lot, so i presume neither sold.

The CSI does seem to have been hanging around for a while, the Car and Classics ad has been updated, as I'm sure there was an old ad with an asking price just shy of £60k last time I looked. Even given the current asking price, you'd have to be crazy to buy at auction with a £70K guide price in the knowledge that there's a buyer's premium (and VAT on the premium) to pay.

That was my assumption too - no prices, not sold.

You are right about the previous ad - the car was priced at £59995 at one point. It’s price has gone up and down. I think they were just chancing it at Bonhams.

As my previous thread indicated, there are problems with the car, so I choose to avoid.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, I never got to see the cars - work just just too busy. Worst still, when I did try to get there the road was closed to pedestrians as they moved the race cars around. However, fantastic event and I did find a CSL that claimed to be a BAT for £180k, will post photos later.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSL for sale at Goodwood. Looked very nice.

Attachments

• 20190705_115828.jpg
    20190705_115828.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 20190705_115800.jpg
    20190705_115800.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 20190705_115813.jpg
    20190705_115813.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 390
  • 20190705_115756.jpg
    20190705_115756.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 350

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I happen to think we are being a little hard on the rhd Taiga CSi. Coming from South Africa, I imagine the rust issues were far less than we normally see, and the restorer has obviously been pretty thorough (see photos below). Some of the minor issues pointed out are easily fixable, if the new owner even cared, and Taiga is a fantastic color for a CSi. The mileage discrepancy mentioned above is nothing more sinister than the difference between kms and miles.

I have emailed back and forth with the seller (Sean) because I have a passing interest in picking up a nice rhd coupe to use during the summer months in England. For someone looking for an attractive, solid, rhd coupe, I think they could do much worse than this one. As to not selling for the £62k Bonham's bid, I imagine that would only net the owner something in the mid fifties. I doubt that would come close to recovering his costs.

All in all, I think this car deserves a closer look. Not many rhd CSi coupes out there to choose from!

Cheers!
Dan

xg22.jpg

xg24.jpg

xg21.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
As to not selling for the £62k Bonham's bid, I imagine that would only net the owner something in the mid fifties. I doubt that would come close to recovering his costs.

All in all, I think this car deserves a closer look. Not many rhd CSi coupes out there to choose from!

Cheers!
Dan

I think that’s the issue i.e. that the seller is trying to recover their costs. In my experience restoration can be expensive and one car never hope to recover all the costs (unless there is a huge price hike).

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think that’s the issue i.e. that the seller is trying to recover their costs. In my experience restoration can be expensive and one car never hope to recover all the costs (unless there is a huge price hike).
I think the quality of the car and the market value is more the question here. How much is an obviously solid, attractive, and largely restored rhd CSi worth in England? Apparently one bidder at Bonham's would have been happy to pay £68,200 (62 bid plus 10%(?) buyer's premium) for the Taiga car. What do YOU think it is worth, Michael?

It certainly seems like the CSi market is much stronger in the US versus the UK.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think the quality of the car and the market value is more the question here. How much is an obviously solid, attractive, and largely restored rhd CSi worth in England? Apparently one bidder at Bonham's would have been happy to pay £68,200 (62 bid plus 10%(?) buyer's premium) for the Taiga car. What do YOU think it is worth, Michael?

It certainly seems like the CSi market is much stronger in the US versus the UK.

I really appreciate the input of pros, like Dan, giving their thoughts, and I always learn from
them. I wonder how much the Brexit uncertainty hangs over luxury markets in the UK. I have two US ex-pat friends in UK who are generally in a holding pattern on many things. Not trying to be political at all, but I’ve had a lot of discussions w them the last month & I didn’t know if that was an objective market factor in the UK?

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmm.
I wonder why.
Anyone on here actually seen this car in person?

A friend of mine saw this car recently having major work done on it ie

Interior , dash all stripped out
Both sills being replaced
Engine, gearbox is out

This csi when put back together and all work done correctly,
The owners total investment will exceed 100k plus

Their is a simple reason why this car took a very very long time to sell ie waiting for the village idiot to come along !!!