1974 CS at TheWerkshop, asking $189k, NMNA

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Arrived in my email, thought I'd pass it on as another data point...yeah, maybe. Tried to update the registry entry but failed the editing attempt, if someone else wants to take a swing.

image023.jpg
image028.jpg

VIN 4335144...Here is an awesome CS Coupe that we restored in 2013. The direction was to build a factory new coupe that would look stock but have many custom features. They include:

• Custom Paint and Epoxy Dipped Chassis with Custom Paint Color
“54/54 Porsche “Adria Blue Metallic”
  • Alpina Engine with Triple Webers (Engine from BMW Classic)
  • 5-Speed Manual Transmission
  • Installing Euro Bumpers, removed Reflectors and Antenna
  • Mount Battery in trunk with Cut-Off Switch and Trickle Charger
  • Lower the car using aftermarket Spring Kit
  • All interior wood is custom Maple Burl
  • Alpina Steering Wheel
  • 16” Alpina Wheels with Michelin Tires
  • Interior done using Alcantara (suede) Headliner with top of the line Leather and Wilton Wool carpet
  • Many other small custom details to numerous to mention
The car spent four years of its life, after restoration, in Dubai where it ran the streets with many exotics. The owner also has an Inka Orange tii we restored for him and lives part time in Cleveland, Ohio. The tii is now in Dubai and this coupe is to be sold. The sale funds will be used toward a 1939 BMW 335 sedan resto mod.

This car needs nothing, just finished $18,000 of work to make it factory new again. It is one of the best examples in existence!

Fairly Priced at $189,000.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Front looks a little high.
Probably priced less than the cost of one of their full restorations, so this may be the new normal after the 203k CSi the other day.

Very pretty car.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Considering what the last 2 coupes sold for on BaT, this isn't that crazy. It looks like a much nicer car, if you aren't looking for perfect originality. Lovely color...

I wonder what the Alpina engine from BMW Classic is all about....

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Front looks a little high.
Especially since their build sheet says, "Lower the car using aftermarket Spring Kit".

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are the kind of pictures you need to have when you want top dollar.

On a side note, that interior definitely isn't the place for a daquiri party...

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Considering what the last 2 coupes sold for on BaT, this isn't that crazy. It looks like a much nicer car, if you aren't looking for perfect originality. Lovely color...

I wonder what the Alpina engine from BMW Classic is all about....
Agreed that it’s fairly priced. Price seems high when you don’t have a testosterone filled bidding war involved. Arguably better than the cars that sold on BAT last week.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great looking work by the guys at Werkshop, but agree that they could probably get $190 with better stance. Maybe they haven't topped off the windscreen wiper fluid reservoir?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While I am sure the restoration work is top quality, I wonder to what extent the work went. Werkshop will do as much or little as an owner desires. I think the "aftermarket lowering springs" raised the car several inches. I can't get past that, nor the non stock color. Would like to know more about the engine.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
While I am sure the restoration work is top quality, I wonder to what extent the work went. Werkshop will do as much or little as an owner desires. I think the "aftermarket lowering springs" raised the car several inches. I can't get past that, nor the non stock color. Would like to know more about the engine.

It's an interesting point. Based on the engine purchase and unique color pallette, one has to assume he built it for himself with no intent to sell. With that goal in mind, it's highly likely he went the full monty with the chassis restoration. I'm sure all that information is available for interested parties. They included several pics of the restoration.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
beautiful interior. Interesting color. Kind of Fjord, but not quite.

Not sure why it's jacked up so high. They probably ordered custom springs and didn't spec it right. AND maybe left the US spacers in there? Duh.

Also not a fan of the rear battery mount. Takes up trunk space and really offers no value in saving weight up front that much. Plenty of lightweight (Lithium-ion?) battery options if so worried about that.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that one guarantee that you get with the Wekshop is great fit & finish, plus excellent paint work. The last two $175K+ cars were missing one or the other and arguably both on the fjord (given all the filler).

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
beautiful interior. Interesting color. Kind of Fjord, but not quite.

Not sure why it's jacked up so high. They probably ordered custom springs and didn't spec it right. AND maybe left the US spacers in there? Duh.

Also not a fan of the rear battery mount. Takes up trunk space and really offers no value in saving weight up front that much. Plenty of lightweight (Lithium-ion?) battery options if so worried about that.

Is the rear battery mount to improve weight distribution (does new engine weight more) or because it would no longer fit in engine bay with new engine? Any other benefits?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the rear battery mount to improve weight distribution (does new engine weight more) or because it would no longer fit in engine bay with new engine? Any other benefits?

It’s just for weight distribution. Pretty much any M30/M88/s38 motor will fit with the existing battery placement. Some swaps land the airbox in that spot though.

That tray also serves as a rear “strut bar”. Obviously the e9 doesn’t have rear struts, so it is a cross brace that in theory reduces chassis flex. Many people feel that rear cross braces provide little benefit.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the epoxy-dipped chassis? I’ve read that the epoxy can crack over time, allowing rust to occur.
I think what they do is Catholitic Epoxy Electrocoating. Dan Dethlefsen , retiring founder refers to as Epoxy-dipped.
this process is same as what they use in today’s car manufaturer as rust proofing the car, before finish. It’s suspended charged pigments in an emulsion of solvents and other adhesion promotor/compounds that the car literally dipped submerged in.