1974 CSa “Brünhilda” – Bare metal restoration/conversion into road-rally car

NiekN

Reaction score
[SEE PREVIOUS POST]

Great, the items we need to fit are getting smaller with each one. However, we’re still trying to house a few big ones, one of them being the new A/C unit and accompanying compressor. On top of that, we also need to house the new condenser/radiator. I’ve already covered enlarging the hole that houses the new A/C unit, but we needed to find a location for the compressor next. This is an electrical one, that’s not mounted on the engine block and can basically sit wherever we want (to an extent). Inside the car wasn’t much of an option due to the noise (and routing of the hoses), and the boot was even less suitable. The best place would be where previously the battery was housed. Fantastic idea, although which idiot decided to cut the tray that used to be there and would be perfect for the job?! Oh yeah, that would be me if memory serves me right. Oops. Thankfully, the missing tray actually led us to the ability to house the new oil filter nearby and combine them in a single mounting bracket. Granted, it would take a bit of engineering and a lot of hammering and bending to make said bracket, but it would be a very good-looking and practical solution. Sod it, let’s take the challenge. I have to admit, once we were happy with the location of both items, I was very little involved in the design process, I left that to the real engineer. Jump forward a few hours and dad proudly showed his latest creation. I was genuinely impressed and even happier when everything fitted where it was intended. Add a few of the nut rivets and we have more parts in the car and fewer outside. Hey, it’s progress!

What about the radiator and accompanying plumbing? Well, that would be the next problem. The oil filter was first, and although the hose connectors acted like a massive pain, we eventually managed to get the hoses where we wanted them once we drilled two new holes in a perfectly restored bodyshell. Somehow, we need to get from the engine bay to the front of the car in order to connect the oil cooler. The latter will sit next to the condenser/radiator for the A/C, but both will need a new bracket to be made, which is still outstanding. For now, the oil hoses are simply hanging where they should roughly end up. The same goes for the A/C plumbing, which we briefly “installed” so we could determine their route and mark where the clamps would have to go to secure them. Once the photos were taken, these were removed again – I haven’t cut them to size yet, so they had to come out anyway.

The wiring to the new dashboard has been causing me headaches for some time now, and I couldn’t figure out what the best way would be to route the wires, which would still allow for easy removal of the dashboard if required. Various locations were tried and at first, I did have the (almost) perfect location. Sadly though, because of the new A/C unit, this would no longer be an option. Eventually, we came up with the idea of simply creating a new bracket for it and mount the connector to the side of the original instrument panel mounting. Since this was the first bracket I designed on my own, with a few directions from the master, I’m quite proud of the result. And no, I don’t care it’s a simple 90-degree bend piece of steel. It also has 7 holes in it! Anyway, the new location allows for easy disconnect of the dashboard, keeping access to a premium, while minimising wire length at the same time. You are correct, I am indeed a happy customer.

I’ve been messing about with this idea for a while now, and we already knew that the new AC unit would require an upgraded alternator. While hunting for one that would provide the required amps (175!), I also started looking for an upgraded starter motor. Not that the current one is broken, but it is old, and reliability is an issue, especially during competitions. Not optimal, so a replacement would be high on the list. Eventually, I found an alternator that fits from WospPerformance and the starter motor from PowerLite. They should hopefully prove to be a straightforward swap, which I guess we’ll find out once they’re here. Fingers crossed.

With all this custom work, we agreed that it would probably be best to invest in some very useful equipment that would repay itself tenfold: a 3D scanner! Yes, I know there are people out there that provide the service but having one myself allows me to quickly scan a single item or entire parts of the car as and when required. For instance, a cover for the heater still needs to be made from scratch and having everything in a 3D model would undoubtedly help with that. Let alone all the other parts that need doing, including a whole new lower dashboard and centre panel. I know, but more on that in the future once the scanner has arrived (early April hopefully).

I think that’s pretty much everything we’ve done so far. I know, it’s been fairly quiet on the video front. I haven’t uploaded one in a while, but you’ll be pleased to hear I have a lot of footage of all the above work that should provide you with at least one if not two episodes. I just need to find some time to record the remaining parts and edit it all. So, stay tuned!​