1974 Euro 3.0CSi on Bat again

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For example - Monterey County was the last jurisdiction to impose smog checks (and did so just as I left CA in 1988). I never had to smog a car in CA.
Currently California requires smog checks if your car is newer than 1975 and more than 8 model years old.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right - but back in 1988 - that was not the case...
I remember getting the renewal and it showing the smog requirement (for a 1973 2002). I think that came a few days before I moved north. The shop I had do an engine rebuild had to install a CARB compliant Weber carb back then also (as the OE Solex was... uh..... toast).
So, across the last 35 years, some of this has gotten easier (for the older cars) while some of this has not.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 3 clients with Daytonas.

One lives outside the USA and has a foreign drivers license and doesn’t care.

One is head of a philanthropic organization and if word got out that he was evading California state taxes - his family would remove him from his position. He never drives the car.

One has not figured out how to register the car in California and won’t touch a MT plate for reasons I won’t comment on.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there is always Alabama - as i remember, they don't have titles on cars older than '74 (might have changed) and it has always been easy to get a plate there. i am also always surprised that most of the rental cars use Tennessee plates ... at least throughout the SE

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think Vermont (believe it or not) has for whatever reason, a similar tax evading situation as MT.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think Vermont (believe it or not) has for whatever reason, a similar tax evading situation as MT.
I wonder why there aren't even more states doing this. Low car registration fees. No residence requirements. No smog laws (other than the federal ones). This way the politicians can offer low registration rates to their constituents, and recoup the revenue with out of state residents that want to save money on car registration and/or register cars they can't register in their home state.

I also wonder why the border on the Washington side of the Columbia River isn't more crowded. No income tax in Washington, and no sales tax in Oregon.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder why there aren't even more states doing this. Low car registration fees. No residence requirements. No smog laws (other than the federal ones). This way the politicians can offer low registration rates to their constituents, and recoup the revenue with out of state residents that want to save money on car registration and/or register cars they can't register in their home state.

I also wonder why the border on the Washington side of the Columbia River isn't more crowded. No income tax in Washington, and no sales tax in Oregon.
I see a ton of cars with Washington plates here in Portland indicating one of two things: 1) they probably live across the river in Clark County and work in Oregon, or 2) they live in Oregon but have their cars registered in Washington because the fees are lower. I think the latter is true, but not sure how much lower.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd guess they live (and work) in Washington and shop in Oregon. :)
That too for sure, but the number of cars with WA plates that can be seen downtown during the workday and the rush hour traffic flows on I-5 indicate a lot of working in OR and living in WA. Of course that's down somewhat since the pandemic. There's also a Clark County express bus line to downtown Portland that makes five trips an hour plus several other bus routes to downtown and the OHSU medical center.

People who live in Washington and work in Oregon do have to pay Oregon income tax. But even with paying OR income tax it's still much cheaper than living in Multnomah County (home of Portland) which has the highest (or very close to it) income tax rate in the country. These high taxes combined with a feeling of a distinct decline in the quality of life in Portland have driven quite a few people to move across the river or into surrounding Oregon counties with lower tax rates.

Here's a story about the decline in tax revenues that Oregon received from Clark County residents after the pandemic hit.

Here's a story about Clark County's "sales tax leakage" to Oregon. It also mentions that people live in Washington and register their cars in Oregon and/or maintain their Oregon registration when moving North. Shows what I know!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
nice underneath. Just need to grind down those floor pan welds to make it perfect (not sure why they didn't do that).

1974_bmw_3.0csi_DDB5481E-C1FA-4B19-8935-FE3874E3C1C3-79118-scaled.jpeg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This CSi will be going to Dallas and I have asked the new owner Greg to join our Forum. He will need local resources although it doesn’t need much, it really is a lovely coupe. I told him he stole it which reflects the change in the coupe and collector car marketplace.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This CSi will be going to Dallas and I have asked the new owner Greg to join our Forum. He will need local resources although it doesn’t need much, it really is a lovely coupe. I told him he stole it which reflects the change in the coupe and collector car marketplace.
Good news. Did he get for less than $100K?