1975 3.0 e9 Rubber Door Seals & Gaskets - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Dynamique 76

Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm in the midst of a full 1975 Coupe restoration, and I've hit a bit of a roadblock. During the repainting process, all of the old original rubber gaskets were removed, and unceremoniously damaged. Now I'm in the market for a full set of everything (all doors/windows/hoods & trunks)... and thankfully most of what I need is still available from BMW.

Unfortunately , I still can't find a couple of important pieces (w/ RealOEM Part Numbers);
Door Weatherstrip:L - 51716754283
Door Weatherstrip:R - 51716754283
Door Gasket:L - 51216740180
Door Gasket:R - 51216740181

According to sources... some of these parts have not officially "ended" but are currently "NLA".

If anyone on here has any advice on what to do in a situation like this, I'm all ears.

If available, I'd be happy to buy them from a reliable member, or open to finding a 3rd party solution that someone has had success with in the past.

Please left me know what you've all done to work around this, and thanks in advance!

-DD

Last edited:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are some aftermarket stuff as well as OEM discussed in this thread:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This was just discussed yesterday

Last edited:

Dynamique 76

Reaction score
In reading some recent posts, it looks like I'm not alone in this quest.

I'll try to summarize what we know at this time:

It seems like the best and seemingly most expensive option (I could find) is:
They are in stock, and look freshly minted and very form fitted, with plugs, elbows and end caps in all the right places. Still don't think these are OEM, but for over $1200.00 they should be. At least the set includes kits for Right and Left doors.

It looks like @Stefan had OEM for a while, but no longer in stock!

@sfdon has a source in Germany, unlikely OEM, but high quality repro's. None in stock, with longer lead times. Let him know if you're interested, his last set sold for $800, maybe the price gets better if we can order more in advance. His local shop is in Alameda. and he travels to Germany often.

@Peter Coomaraswamy had good success with:
He said the fit was tight, but not as tight as stock. Not OEM, but price is right! I still need to know if 20 Feet is enough to cover both doors.
****NOTE: @sfdon recommends 7 feet for each side, and says this part only covers the lower seal***

I'm really interested in this outlier option:
it's made by BMW, and looks like a good mould... I've heard the X5 e53 is as close as we get, and the price is nice. plus each order includes weather stripping for 4 DOORS!!!! I doubt they will be as form fitting as the top option, but you can wipe your tears with the $1000 you just saved!

Let me know if there are any other tricks of the trade, or if you're holding a clean OEM set you'd be willing to part with.

thanks in advance.

-DD

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These are available- LMK if you need a set.

Door Gasket:L - 51216740180
Door Gasket:R - 51216740181