1976 BMW #.3Li

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score

I always had a soft spot for the early 7-series. I love the marketing material included in this listing. BMW Group Classic did a video on these a week or two ago, seen here: https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/01/02/bmw-group-classic-e23-7-series-video/ Though that E23 had some rad computers.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Sounds like they replaced the engine at some point, I wonder if it has the right bore/stroke setup? The original engine had the longest stroke M30 until the S38B38. The crank alone would be worth a couple grand.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here we go again. An imported car in California with a Montana registration. Light blue paint & dark blue interior. I'll bet the reserve (if any) is not met.

Christoph

Reaction score
This car was advertised in summer 2020 by a Dutch dealer (not Oldenzaal, the other side of the country). Storage from 1983 to 2014 might well be correct, according to my notes. First registration was in June 1976, say the official Dutch. The service manual reads 1976-jul-19 in Osnabrück, northern Germany. As of today, the Dutch report says "not exported".

The exterior looks mostly nice, all panels and trim seem reasonably well aligned. They must have taken their time. I'd suspect the left front wing and the right rear side wall to have been replaced. All the hard work should have been done, some minor flaws can be fixed or left as they are. New front windscreen, usually an andvantage. The green filter is not original but nice.

The leather has probably been there since 1976, always good. Would be nice to know how the seats feel. I am a bit worried about the light stains on the instrument cluster (pic 137, are they really there?) in combination with the wood veneer around the fresh air lever (pic 143). Might be hints it was damp inside for quite some time, see also one of the door veneer panels. The radio has been replaced. All 3.3 models came with a good stereo radio and four speakers from either Blaupunkt (standard) or Becker (optional).

Good-looking late version toolbox. Where is the floormat for the boot? The airbox between firewall and windscreen should have sealings on all four sides. Only the front one is present.

Underneath it looks like a genuine LWB L-Jetronic exhaust. The rear stabiliser bar (pic 207) has been retrofitted at some time. Not for the better, if I may say so. Apart from that the underside looks very pretty especially for a long E3. What are the holes on the outside of the sills for (pics 235/241/242)? Looking at pic 235, I'd like to remove the long panel on top of the sill. In pic 241 it seems hard to decide whether the door is closed or open.

The light blue brochure is rare and valuable, only it does not describe the car we have here. It is for the 3.3 L, not 3.3 Li. The 3.3 L was the first long E3, carburetted, 3299cc. It was succeeded by the 3.3 Li, injected, 3210cc. Lots of small differences between the two. The all-silver wheels never went into production, the inner circle was always painted black.

I like best the comments of @BMW Pete and @Luis A. By the way, Luis, I still remember your beautiful E9 from Munich 2016. Pete is right, as usual, the 3.3 models were a class of their own. Everything you see in the pictures was standard equipment, except for the airco and the metallic paint.

The original engine had the longest stroke M30
No. Original to the 3.3 Li was the 3.2 litre, 89x86mm, 3210cc. You mean the engine of the 3.3 L, 89x88.4mm, 3299cc. The stroke was shortened in 1975 because of problematic behaviour. If they replaced the 3.2 by a 3.2 here everything is fine.

And please don't believe the production number 700. There were 702 LHD Automatic, that much is true. And 222 RHD Automatic. And 477 LHD 4-speed, the ones to want. Makes 1401 in total.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Christoph. I had a feeling you would jump in on this one. ;)

It's a shame all the pictures of the interior are so underexposed. It is difficult to evaluate the actual condition of the interior.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Sounds like they replaced the engine at some point, I wonder if it has the right bore/stroke setup? The original engine had the longest stroke M30 until the S38B38. The crank alone would be worth a couple grand.
I’ve been on the lookout for a 3.3 Li engine for about 20 years now just for this little know reason.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What is it in the spare tire well?...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 5.02.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 5.02.08 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 60

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RNM @ $30K. I figured it would go for much more than that...any thoughts why it stopped short? Seems like a nice car and Uber rare here in the states. I had a feeling it would be a RNM but didn't think bidding would stop at $30K.

jmackro

Reaction score
RNM @ $30K. I figured it would go for much more than that...any thoughts why it stopped short? Seems like a nice car and Uber rare here in the states. I had a feeling it would be a RNM but didn't think bidding would stop at $30K.

Yes, $30K RNM probably was a disappointment for the seller. But this car did have a few things going against it:

- automatic transmission
- perhaps difficult to register in states like California (but evidently not Montana!)
- and as HB Chris notes, the market has softened

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, $30K RNM probably was a disappointment for the seller. But this car did have a few things going against it:

- automatic transmission
- perhaps difficult to register in states like California (but evidently not Montana!)
- and as HB Chris notes, the market has softened
In this model, I would rate the automatic even with the 4 speed and maybe even somewhat prefered? After all, it is a limousine.

I think the biggest factor is that the market is soft now. It would be a good time to find some bargains, but then most everyone's investments are in the toilet.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In this model, I would rate the automatic even with the 4 speed and maybe even somewhat prefered? After all, it is a limousine.

I think the biggest factor is that the market is soft now. It would be a good time to find some bargains, but then most everyone's investments are in the toilet.
Maybe the MPGs are becoming a factor with oil volatility.
Agree on bargains. Investments in rubles are doing fine, above 10% interbank rate, and the ruble has appreciated since the war started. More chances the US will default than Russia from what the talking heads say on TV.

Christoph

Reaction score
This is the kind of money I thought the one on BaT might be worth...

https://www.hemmings.com/classified...OwYsOGUEu0L_kpCIbx10cey09xzMP1wN1nCLhOFrqN78w
I might not doing the blue car justice saying there should be a difference in prices between the grey car and the other. They grey one was for offered by a privateer in spring 2018 at the Retro Classics fair in Stuttgart. A good friend, also E3-Club member, had a close look, talked to the seller and was very pleased with everything. Of course, he could neither lift nor drive the car. We suggested it to two or three potential buyers but they were all whining about the price and the mileage. One day, the car was gone and reappeared in spring 2019 at Oldenzaal for a higher price. That was when the whining got really loud. Now Oldenzaal have it for the second time, and they sure know what a 3.3 Li four speed is worth. If you compare the two cars by the pictures only you will spot a lot of small differences that will add up in the end.

Gearboxes. An original four-speed 3.3 Li can easily fetch about 5000 € more than an Automatic in similar condition. That said, 3.3 Li A will also be bought by someone. That said, although good E3 are pretty rare selling an Automatic (non-Li) car usually is a demanding task. The 3.3 Li is different from the rest insofar as today these cars are often, not always, bought by people who don't enjoy going full throttle that much.