1979 320i

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know the seller and this e21is really a great car if anyone has contemplated owning one.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm always wondering why E21 have never been as popular as other (earlier or later) models.

Some say about the relatively poor handling in comparison to '02 or E30.

This is more desirable version with metal rear mirrors and old fashioned heating panel.

Looks really nice!

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve thought about getting one. I had one in high school before my first 2002tii. The 320i was super cool looking. Handling can be made good with suspension tweaks but that 1.8 liter motor was a dog. I still think they are cool cars and I have other cars for speed. I would really like a 323i or alpina B6 from that era.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for posting Chris ... i've been thinking about finding an e21. i've always liked them - pricing is a lot more affordable than 2002's. like @ccr2002, i would love to have a 323i or alpina B6, but they are getting really hard to find. a great looking car like this could be fun to build a great motor and improve the suspension.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I love these little cars....but they have absolutely the worst "picnic table" front bumper.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 8.50.12 PM.png

The solution is to remove the black spacer and side pieces, drill a hole in the hydraulic struts that support the bumper, push the bumper in about a foot. :)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve thought about getting one. I had one in high school before my first 2002tii. The 320i was super cool looking. Handling can be made good with suspension tweaks but that 1.8 liter motor was a dog. I still think they are cool cars and I have other cars for speed. I would really like a 323i or alpina B6 from that era.
323i is extremely valuable for E21 ... Market knows that ... with original Alpina is even worse.

Nice 323i with Alpina (only) stickers... starting 13:00

and E3 from the start... ;-)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm always wondering why E21 have never been as popular as other (earlier or later) models.

Some say about the relatively poor handling in comparison to '02 or E30.

This is more desirable version with metal rear mirrors and old fashioned heating panel.

Looks really nice!
Krzysztof - I think one of the biggest issues over the years with the E21 is CA and other states made post-'75 cars have to pass stringent smog laws. All the original equipment needs to be on the vehicle and it also needs to function. This severely limits any modifications that can be done to the car. Some people cheat and pay off the smog stations which is becoming harder and harder to do (so I hear), others would put the pieces back on every two years when they needed to smog the vehicle, etc.etc.
As you can imagine this is a huge problem and PIA.

As you know, people love modifying BMW's and even the ones that stay stock, the small 1.8L motor (later 79-80), combined with the big bumpers here in the states made them undesirable compared to the older 2002's, coupes, etc. Still very well built and a solid car however.

We used to own one and I love the cockpit, the layout of the interior, and they are cool looking, I love the design. I would love an Alpina version, Hartge, Baur or 323i as well. Those eliminate the large bumpers, smaller motor issues. The 320is with the 5-sp, limited slip diff, Recaro seats, and suspension among other things and limited production still make those desirable; but again, the smog becomes an issue. The thermal reactor was no help by any means.

Bottom line is if I had to pick the main reason why they never became super popular would be the smog issue with such a potential big vintage market in CA for these kinds of cars over the years. If we didn't have snow here in CD'A 6-months out of the year where I live now, I would totally buy a 320is or 323 version as smog is not an issue here. Too bad there was no 320ix or 323ix version made! o_O Probably would have made for a really cool rally car...

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Krzysztof - I think one of the biggest issues over the years with the E21 is CA and other states made post-'75 cars have to pass stringent smog laws. All the original equipment needs to be on the vehicle and it also needs to function. This severely limits any modifications that can be done to the car. Some people cheat and pay off the smog stations which is becoming harder and harder to do (so I hear), others would put the pieces back on every two years when they needed to smog the vehicle, etc.etc.
As you can imagine this is a huge problem and PIA.

As you know, people love modifying BMW's and even the ones that stay stock, the small 1.8L motor (later 79-80), combined with the big bumpers here in the states made them undesirable compared to the older 2002's, coupes, etc. Still very well built and a solid car however.

We used to own one and I love the cockpit, the layout of the interior, and they are cool looking, I love the design. I would love an Alpina version, Hartge, Baur or 323i as well. Those eliminate the large bumpers, smaller motor issues. The 320is with the 5-sp, limited slip diff, Recaro seats, and suspension among other things and limited production still make those desirable; but again, the smog becomes an issue. The thermal reactor was no help by any means.

Bottom line is if I had to pick the main reason why they never became super popular would be the smog issue with such a potential big vintage market in CA for these kinds of cars over the years. If we didn't have snow here in CD'A 6-months out of the year where I live now, I would totally buy a 320is or 323 version as smog is not an issue here. Too bad there was no 320ix or 323ix version made! o_O Probably would have made for a really cool rally car...

That is the point I was not considering. There are also zones here in EU, but I think the biggest problem might be inability to go by the car into city center.

Currently there is new initiative regarding air pollution and it will not be possible to register any car below specific EURO exhaust gas limit. It will hit both: gas and diesel. It is possible classic cars will be excluded but the legislation wasn't clarify yet.

Coming back to the E21.... It is true that model is pure shark.
My comment was not only for US.
The E21 is underestimated here. There are nice cars with price level much below medium condition E30 or E10 but they are still for sale. Not a big market for E21. I would say that small shark is one of the lowest cost classic BMW models. Only E12 is cheaper and less desirable here. Any other small bimmers like E10, E30, E36, E46 are much more popular and easy to sell in comparison to E21.
I'm watching BMW market over many years here and only 323i might be valuable (or Alpina). Even rare Baur are not so interesting.

I know E21 has a bigger value in Germany where this car has a big fan club.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
M10B20 are very rare ... and desirable engines.

They are in range of M30 prices.

Good source in Germany are boat engines.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just putting it out there. I love my e9 and it is my daily driver but an e21 1.8 liter that gets ~27mpg and has proper smog equipment doesn't sound bad. I don't know much about catalytic converters and smog pumps but I wonder if you updated them as well as updated the entire air conditioning system you could improve the mileage even more.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Chris, I'm a little confused on this car, just simply out of curiosity, is this your son that is selling his car, or is this his old car that he sold to someone, that is now selling it? I'm assuming this is the E21 he used to own or still owns. I could be wrong on that as well.

Either way, this sure is a nice car and a very nice CA blue plate survivor with many more years left in her it looks like.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Chris, I'm a little confused on this car, just simply out of curiosity, is this your son that is selling his car, or is this his old car that he sold to someone, that is now selling it? I'm assuming this is the E21 he used to own or still owns. I could be wrong on that as well.

Either way, this sure is a nice car and a very nice CA blue plate survivor with many more years left in her it looks like.
It is owned by Gavin’s son Colin.

CSBM5

Reaction score
I enjoyed about 2 years of E21 ownership in the mid-80s when I bought a heavily modified one to use as a DD so my Bavaria could garage rest between track events. Rust was the problem with my E21. I didn't inspect it enough since it had just been painted I guess plus the price was so good given the mods. I paid $6500 in 1986 for a 1977 320i with: recently built Korman Stage 2+ engine (Schrick 292 was the "+" versus regrind 300) with dual 45DCOEs, Stahl headers, Alpina springs, ST front and rear sway bars, Bilsteins, Alpina hard rubber bushings in all available locations, Ronal 14" wheels, Recaro LS and LN seats, Momo steering wheel, Ansa exhaust, gauge panel, etc, etc, I can't even recall all the details at this point.

It was a fun daily driver, and it was always, always greatly underestimated by everyone. The engine put out about 160hp (crank) versus ~100 stock, and the powerband was fantastic. My Bavaria had triple DCOEs, so it was fun to have the "baby" M10 with them also...the throttle response and intake noise was just fantastic. I loved that E21, and I've actually never driven a stock one. Rust started showing up at the bottom of the b pillar and the passenger side floor pan (hole), so I sold the car in 1989. Bavaria was put back into dd for a couple of years until we bought an E32 for my wife and I took over her E28 535i. Wow, the cars we owned and loved back in the 70s-90s I would enjoy having back now (I think)...