1979 E21 323i (Hartge?) in Sacramento, CA

shanon

Reaction score
Thought I'd share because there's been some E21/323 chatter recently.

NM/NA, but just drove it.

Interesting car, original Hartge motor gone but has a clean replacement M20. Nice Euro (Hartge) Interior with euro gauges/dash/gauge pod with the C/R dog-leg 5spd and LSD there. Lots of paperwork, including original Hartge conversion/order info.

Drove and braked straight, runs nice. Cold start no problem. Nice driver or you can deal with the nits/repaint and take to another level. Has some minor rust isuues but nothing too scary IMO. Young seller seems like a nice guy, forthcoming and knowledgeable.

This E21 323i is CA legal.

It was on BaT recently in which seller said he had 'challenges' w/ the platform trying to respond to questions (BaT has new 24hr response approval?!)

Again, NMNA, but if you've been looking for a E21 323i legal in CA........might want to go poke it with a stick.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In May of '20 it sold on BaT for $9k

In December of '22 it bid to $6,700

Is it really worth the $15,900 asking now in today's market?

shanon

Reaction score
No idea really but how often does one come across a CA legal E21 323' for sale with some very neat/sporty Euro bits.

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
Always odd to me when someone has an advertised Hartge car and they put Alpina parts on it (and some not genuine Alpina parts like the wheels). There is no Momo/Hartge steering wheel, no Scheel seats, etc. Hubert Hartge is rolling in his grave! LOL