1984 633CSI Engine going in Bavaria--keep injection or carbs?

Eric

Reaction score
I picked up complete parts car with a very nice engine from a 1984 633CSI. The engine had recently been completely rebuilt with an Ireland Engineering cam and the 059 ECU and harness.

My current engine has nicely tuned dual weber carbs. Do I use the carbs from my current engine or do I use the fuel injection from the current engine.

Which would be an easier swap--adapt my Bavaria to fuel injection or adapt the carbs to the new engine? Would I have change anything with the carbs to handle the bigger engine?

Also--if I put in the Gertrag 265 that comes with the engine--what do I have to do for the driveshaft???? My Bavaria currently has a 4 speed manual.

Any additional advice is appreciated.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought an engine out of a fire damaged 733i and tried to get it to work in my Bavaria. I ended up using only the crank from the engine as the cylinders had pitting from water damage.Getting the 733 crank into a bavaria block was also very difficult because there was not enough clearance. I had to grind away at the block walls and ended up going through the oil galley. When it was finally back in the car it was a bit of a letdown. It never pulled to redline like a 3.0 . It had good torque, but no smoothness in the upper revs. I had a local BMW guru re jet the carbs, but it was never as nice as a 3.0. Maybe I was missing something?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do anything to the carbs.

I put a 1988 3.5L engine in my Bavaria and used the same Weber setup I had on the 3L engine. I put a lift pump from a 633 in my tank, attached with six sheet metal screws. The pump provides ample fuel for the Webers, and the pickup/gauge sender reaches all the way to the bottom.

pldlnr

Reaction score
Just an FYI --

The '84 633csi would have had a Getrag 260/5 stock. The 260/5 is the one piece case 5 speed overdrive transmission and is considered a little bit weaker than the 265 or the 260/6 that replaced it. You can identify the 265 by the removeable bellhousing.

Eric

Reaction score
Just an FYI --

The '84 633csi would have had a Getrag 260/5 stock. The 260/5 is the one piece case 5 speed overdrive transmission and is considered a little bit weaker than the 265 or the 260/6 that replaced it. You can identify the 265 by the removeable bellhousing.

It has a 265 in it. The 84 was originally an automatic and had been retrofitted to manual.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep the Webers

I put the engine from a 635CSi in my coupe. I removed all the EFI stuff and stayed with the carbs. Like the sound and still looks original. Going with EFI requires a bunch of other changes too like ECU etc. makes the job more laborious and expensive.

Eric

Reaction score
Well--the engine and trans out of the 1984 has been pulled and it getting prepped for install.

I going to keep the dual carbs currently on my Bavaria.

Anything else that I should swap over?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The biggest gripe I had with Webers is that the linkage would go over-center if I pressed the pedal too far, so I was always driving with a fear of losing control of the engine. As for simplicity, you can't beat carbs (if they're in tune and stay that way) but I have had no regrets converting to FI (D-jet in my case.) The driveability improvements, cold weather starting, and not having to fiddle with the idle adjustment all the time are plusses for FI IMHO.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Only the Getrag 265/6 will have the Motronic bell housing to allow you to run the 059 ecu for spark, use your stock speedo cable and still have carbs. You will need an '82 lower radiator hose too.

Eric

Reaction score
Only the Getrag 265/6 will have the Motronic bell housing to allow you to run the 059 ecu for spark, use your stock speedo cable and still have carbs. You will need an '82 lower radiator hose too.

I was thinking of using the whole radiator from the E24.

Any thoughts on using the AC?????

Eric

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do anything to the carbs.

I put a 1988 3.5L engine in my Bavaria and used the same Weber setup I had on the 3L engine. I put a lift pump from a 633 in my tank, attached with six sheet metal screws. The pump provides ample fuel for the Webers, and the pickup/gauge sender reaches all the way to the bottom.

Anything wrong with using the current fuel pump in the Bavaria?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ac problem starts with the new compressor uses o-rings and the old one uses copper compression fittings. You need to upgrade it all once you start.
That e24 radiator- did you check first to see if it will fit?

Eric

Reaction score
ac problem starts with the new compressor uses o-rings and the old one uses copper compression fittings. You need to upgrade it all once you start.
That e24 radiator- did you check first to see if it will fit?

The thought was to upgrade all of the AC--the E24 has a pretty simple system. It had freon in it when I pulled it out on Saturday.

My Bavaria was an original AC car--although it has none now.

As far as the radiator. I have no reason to swap--I was just wondering if anyone had done that in the past.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you go to carquest and buy the multiuse oil you can use r-12 or r-134 in your system.
12 bucks of oil now saves you a ton of trouble later.

Eric

Reaction score
Thinking about it--the first few fittings I pulled off of the E24 seemed like they were compression fittings.