1987 s38B35 engine

tightbox

Reaction score
NMNA, just saw it posted on BAT.

Great basis for a fun e9 hotrod (or insane coffee table)!

I’ve always thought the 5-7 people with s38 e9’s should get together and start a BMW R Gruppe equivalent...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing owners experience. I've done a lot of reading after becoming interested years ago. Damn sexy but the mismatch of the S38s powerband and the GT /flex-flyer E9 chassis are a bit of a mismatch..I'd love to hear from actual users though...

tightbox

Reaction score
I still don’t have mine completed, but it fits nicely in the engine bay. Stan and I rode in John’s Inka s38 up in SF and it seemingly handled the power just fine when hammering it, but I believe he incorporated some of the well known chassis reinforcements during the restoration process. One trip and I had to have my own!

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love my s38 conversion and for normal street driving the power is incredible. I cannot imagine 311hp damaging or twisting this car at this point. I did do the rear diff strengthening braces as well as front and rear strut/shock tower bracing. The car is not brutally fast by any means, it's not peaky either, just a smooth linear power curve. Power feels like my 85 911 Turbo which also makes 300 hp and is in a chassis that is no stronger than the coupe.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
255hp seems like nil improvement over a M30B35 with a cam upgrade (240hp???) for all the trouble needed to fit an S38.

Would rather get a B36 if spending big coin on an engine (not to mention shipping from Canada. $$$).

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Other than the purchase cost, the S38 install is very straight forward with no modifications necessary other than using the correct oil pan and pump. My S38 was rated at 311hp and when cats are removed and air flow increased and chipped to compensate, they have been dyno'd at 340-350hp. I do also appreciate the look of the engine in the bay as well. To me, the S38 looks cleaner and more at home than the CSi engine. Of course that's just my opinion and I am a little short sighted:)
20191020_155225.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i was a bit dissapointed in my S38... i had 286 HP due the diff simulator signal not working and i did not found torque as expected ... , it only came alive above 4k rpm….i must say i love more the B34 M30 now. In the end that S38 went broke after a year rallying ... crankshaft bearings… not a big surprize , without complete overhaul, were does one find anymore a "good" S38 ? no more i suppose. Most are beaten hard at the time.....

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just buy an M6, that's what I did.

Depends on anticipated usage of the car but it's potential just cannot be reached in some cities where roads are crap and speed limits are artificially lowered to protect I don't know what. Around here, wish I invested in the company that makes the signs "No Turn on Red" and "Speed checked by Radar"

floridabmx

Reaction score
Never been much of a fan of s38 or m88 in an e9. Rather see some triple carbs. When i see an s38 or m88 it screams the 80s to me.

73Polaris

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Other than the purchase cost, the S38 install is very straight forward with no modifications necessary other than using the correct oil pan and pump. My S38 was rated at 311hp and when cats are removed and air flow increased and chipped to compensate, they have been dyno'd at 340-350hp. I do also appreciate the look of the engine in the bay as well. To me, the S38 looks cleaner and more at home than the CSi engine. Of course that's just my opinion and I am a little short sighted:)
View attachment 82409
That is one beautiful engine bay. Well done!

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 82409
Very elegant and clean !

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had an M88 engine in a 1983 745i BMW. It was a special South Africa only edition; one of 209 produced I think. Great motor. It hustled that big tank around like a sports car. Wish I brought it back with me to the States.