2210589 for sale Vancouver BC

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have made the difficult decision to part with my car after 10 years of blood, sweat, tears and money. I acquired what was originally a 2800cs from Victoria. It was in a state of partial disassembly but looked to be a fairly solid car. (note to self: looks can be deceiving). My original plan was to continue what had been started, minor bodywork, paint in the classic Polaris, perhaps a sexy red interior, rebuild the existing engine, what could be simpler? Soon realizing that a simple backyard restoration would not cut it, I was introduced to someone who would soon become financially dependent on me, noted local restorer Neil MacDonnell of 'Neils Wheels'. Neils expertise is North American, with a smattering of UK and northern European vehicles popular in these parts. He can now be considered an e9 savant as well. 1000 hours of bodywork, too many new body panels to count and 4 years attached to a rotisserie gave us a finished product. Realizing that it was probably wise to invest in the rest of the car as well it received the full resto mod treatment including the following:
low mileage 3.5l M30
5 spd conversion
Staggered 16" Alpinas, ( as in, staggeringly expensive to refinish)
Upgraded interior. I went off the reservation here, did the seats in a darker tone leather, did the headliner in Wilton wool, with English wool carpets, both in a beige to match the swank leather. The perforated headliner and the original carpets suck in my opinion.
All wood was refinished, period correct, crappy sounding Becker Europa radio was added.
Because I had 5 years to change my mind over and over, I decided on Ceylon as the final colour, inspired by a couple of cars that appeared on this website. It's a classic mid-century colour and imo is the most elegant of the 'interesting' colours, (Turkis,Granatrot, etc.).

The car is not perfect, the trunk is not completely finished, and there is a small crack appearing on the wood next to the dash speaker. It has no air conditioning, until recently it really wasn't necessary in Vancouver. If I was going to keep the car I would invest in the stereo, however the engine is all the music I need. The engine runs strong and does not overheat, the 5 spd shifts smoothly and the car stops as it should. A Magnaflow muffler gives it a 'rorty' sound, easily changed if refinement is your goal. At one point during the restoration the clock worked, recently it stopped. Who cares, I'm always late anyway. There's a complete set of tools included, as well as a nice Momo wooden wheel, not shown in the pic's, sorry. Also includes a custom cover, lots of spares including original 2800 motor with carbs, glass and turbine wheels with funky Yokohama tires. Car rides on new 16" Continentals.
I am asking $35,000 US obo. Car is appraised at over 60k, the folks at Hagerty insure it for the mid 50's. For anyone who is considering a restoration or anyone who has gone through one, this price is heavily discounted and proves once again, it is much better to buy someone else's finished project. And finally, why am I selling? My goal was to build a daily driver. Unfortunately, in doing so, we built a car that is worth too much to be a daily driver in my neighbourhood. To be insured for agreed value use is limited. And really, as much as I like driving it, I think I liked the project part of it more, so, on to something else.

If you have some interest in the car please pm me. Happy to provide as much info as I can to serious buyers.

Rick Stephenson, who is on this site has done much of the work on this car recently and would be a good source for an objective opinion of the car and a PPI for prospective buyers. If someone in the US is interested in this car, exporting it should not be terribly difficult, I will do what I can to help. I would far, far prefer for this car to go to someone on this site,
selling on Ebay does not appeal to me. I'm in no hurry, but I will listen to reasonable offers.

Attachments

• passenger door panel.jpg
    passenger door panel.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 343
  • V.I.N. plate.jpg
    V.I.N. plate.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 314
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 363
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 343
  • driver side floor, rocker, jackpt..jpg
    driver side floor, rocker, jackpt..jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 338
  • engine passenger side.jpg
    engine passenger side.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 347
  • interior pass. view.jpg
    interior pass. view.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 327
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 344
  • headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 314
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 358

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks nice!
Made on my birthday June 9th
Wrong year sadly as this was made in 1971
Originally nachtblau?

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score

Nachtblau does appear to be the original colour, I do have some photos of car in that colour.
This car, as a lot of older German cars in Canada, was imported by a Cdn soldier returning from Lahr in Germany. Happy belated birthday.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm missing the reference to a 2800?
This is a 3.0 correct?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm missing the reference to a 2800?
This is a 3.0 correct?

Great looking car! I am confused also. The VIN plate says 3.0cs, the badge says 3.0cs. The plate resembles a reproduction given that the 8 is upside down. Most repro vin plates seem to have engraved numbers. The VIN maps to a 3.0cs, and is a few cars off from the first CSL. Is this the original VIN? If so, why did it start life as a 2800? Perhaps it was a carbed 3.0 and you thought it was a 2800?

Either way cool car. It seems like a very fair price with all the metal work done.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would think group archive info would be correct.

The BMW 3.0 CS VIN 2210589 was manufactured on June 09th, 1971 and delivered on June 14th, 1971 to the BMW dealer Schleiff in Ingelheim, Germany. The original colour was Nachtblau metallic, paint code 040.

stardoc

Reaction score
Beautiful beautiful color and presentation. I would definitely consider this if it was closer to home.
Good luck.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Gorgeous Coupe. If I wasn't already knee deep in blood sweat and tears into my beige beauty, I'd be all over this one.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks nice!
Made on my birthday June 9th
Wrong year sadly as this was made in 1971
Originally nachtblau?

Another famous Donald is also from June 9th! Know who?

BTW, nice car. Love that it has no windshield wiper. Points to optimism or determination not to use in the rain.

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vancouver Coupe

Many thanks for all the comments. Re: confusion over 2800 vs 3.0. When I first purchased the car it was registered as a 2800, although the vin indicates it was a 3.0. The id plate is indeed a repro, it is now registered as a 3.0 with the BC Motor Vehicle Branch, (ICBC) as a 3.0. Car was imported by a CDN. serviceman who was based in Lahr.

If the wipers are off the car in a picture it's due to a small gremlin which showed up in the wiper switch turning them permanently on. Car has not seen rain. It's fixed, although the same gremlin has also resided in the horn and the ignition switch in the past. Also fixed.

I am most grateful to all the posters who have taken the time to comment. To all of those who have PM'd me I did not anticipate the amount of interest. I believe I have replied to all of you. I hope to have all the info you require by Friday.

I would really rather not sell it to someone who is going to flip it. I would much prefer it stay in the BMW/e9 community.

I have been a member of this forum for almost 10 years. Although I have not been a very active participant, I visit it regularly. Aside from driving the car and looking at the car, it's really one of the best things about owning an E9.

Thanks!
Graham

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I too have followed this post and am of the opinion this car needs a good home. I hope someone here sees this for what it is and jumps on it.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really nice looking underside and the engine work looks clean. What say? I think 35K is very reasonable- it would be nice to keep it off e-bay. Was any work done to the suspension?

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car in Vancouver

Again, thanks for the comments.

I am in touch with several interested parties, most of whom have a presence in this community, hopefully the car will find a good home. I will update the forum when that happens.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the comments.

I am in touch with several interested parties, most of whom have a presence in this community, hopefully the car will find a good home. I will update the forum when that happens.

We are all hoping the car stays "in the family".
Just bought some lotto tickets and will let you know if I win on the Saturday night drawing. I would most assuredly buy it :)

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: Sold and shipped

Update: A sale was successfully concluded to a forum member. I will leave it up to him if he wishes to identify himself. I started this process with a lot of trepidation and finished with some regrets over selling the car, but relieved as well. The process was pleasant, and would have been concluded much sooner, but some travel plans and international banking details kept the transaction simmering for a couple of weeks.

Many thanks to those who expressed interest, particularly those who took the time to visit and inspect the car. Also, thanks for the support expressed on this forum. The positive comments were appreciated. (I have always been curious how e9's end up on Ebay, Craigslists etc. when the enthusiast community is all in one place.).

What now? The impetus behind this sale was the exchange rate. The car was completed in CDN $, the current exchange rate was the best chance I was going to have to recoup at least some of the investment. However, that means I am somewhat limited as to what I can replace it with. Whatever it is, it will be driveable when I buy it. There is a large supply of R107 MB's (560SL), locally, many with low miles, however, there are also a lot of R129's for the same price or less. I would not rule out a return to e9 ownership if the opportunity presented itself, but the market seems to have lifted off. I will continue to follow the e9 forum, I'll let you know what's next.
Many Thanks.
Gmad.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you shipping to the south?
Bob Beverly may be bringing me a car down from Blaine.

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As I understand it, the car was shipped with a Momo wood Daytona 380mm installed. If the new owner of this car has any interest in selling or exchanging wheels, please let me know. I've been looking for one of those for a while and missed the one Alex was offering several months ago.
Best of luck with this great coupe in any event,
Chris