2800 CS restoration

wmnewlife

Reaction score
Scott's mention of my Malaga 2800 here in Atlanta reminded me that it is time to bring the site up to speed on the progress. My job has been to acquire the parts as they are found to be needed. We started with the LaJolla lowering kit (thanks Ben). Then a Getrag 265 through ebay with bellhousing and shifter bracket. Next the decision was made to go with vented discs all around, so new discs and rebuilt calipers were purchased. The 3.0 trailing arms from a local dismantler proved to be unusable, so a call to Coupeking, who responded to my posting here and they are on the way, along with 3.0 front struts, which Peter advised were necessary for the front conversion (thanks Peter). Then, through a posting by my new friend Murray, and a couple of clutch parts were sourced. By the way, what a wonderful young (at heart) man he is. We talked for almost an hour one evening, and I was blessed to hear a snippet of his amazing history. I really look forward to meeting him in person this fall and getting a ride in the world famous Blumax.
The guys at Bavarian Imports in midtown have been unbelievably patient as the coupe has been on one of their lifts for a long time and the parts trickle in. The front end has been disassembled, and should be cleaned, prepped and painted by next week. We are waiting for the Coupeking parts to arrive to take on the rear. Still havem't sourced a 3.5l engine, but Mike Lembcke (Bavarian) is not concerned. One thing that would be helpful is deciding exactly which iteration to use. I will now expose my lack of knowledge. There seems to be two different FI systems. One has 6 runners going to the head, and the other is a box with runners. The Malaga coupe that Peter had for sale had the former type, but locally I have only seen the latter.
All in all it has been an exciting venture and the people I have met through the e9 site have all been wonderful. I don't see how anyone, except the experts like LaJolla and Coupeking could ever accomplish this task without such valuable resources. Thanks again to Scott, Ben, Peter, Murray, and everyone else who has helped. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Walter