2800CS Air filter housing color

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
My uncle has a media blaster, and I got all the gunk, corrosion and paint off my air filter housing. Only issue is that I didn't take it in to have a paint sample done to get the correct color paint made. D'oh.

Does anyone have a picture of a nicely painted air filter housing in the stock green, or does anyone know the correct paint code/color?

Old and nasty:

D235AEC2-4379-4EC0-A995-96017A44CD4B_zps54rfrfhi.jpg

Hopefully soon back to its former glory. I'm going to clean up the valve cover too when I pull it off to adjust the valves.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I matched mine at an auto paint store several years ago, I can send you the leftover can or spray some on some paper for you to do the same, it does not have a code on it but is a perfect match.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupeking sells powder coated housings that are a very close match. The paint is very hard to match as it has the blue/green tint to it. Did you already strip the inside of the cover?

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I matched mine at an auto paint store several years ago, I can send you the leftover can or spray some on some paper for you to do the same, it does not have a code on it but is a perfect match.

It's green and not the gray for a 3.0 right? If so, a spray of it on something would be great. :mrgreen:

Coupeking sells powder coated housings that are a very close match. The paint is very hard to match as it has the blue/green tint to it. Did you already strip the inside of the cover?

I didn't know that. I do have to pick up a few odds and ends from them soon, so I might see how many arms and legs they require for one of those after my core. Mine came back great, so I'm tempted to try my hand at painting it. Worst come to worst I sandblast it back and try again. :cool:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

I don't think I've seen one that green, mine was definitely grey not green. I also thought 2800 and 3.0 are the same.

Chris

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Bavaria had a Gray one and the 2002 has a Green/Gray one.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
All the research I've done has pegged 2800's with a green housing, and the 3.0's run a battleship gray with a touch of green in it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like you mentioned before, I matched mine to the inside of the cover. It was original to the car, and is the same color as the one in the BMW museum. My previous '73 coupe had a grey one.

photo%25203.JPG

Steve,

I don't think I've seen one that green, mine was definitely grey not green. I also thought 2800 and 3.0 are the same.

Chris

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it is a Green on the 2800 CS, perhaps it is this Green (From a 72 2002)

This looks similar to the Green Tierfreund mentions

* BTW, been looking for an original paint air cleaner housing for this car for more than a year