2800CS/E3 bav exhaust tips. New

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, choices are to get a pipe expander and expand the back 2/3 of the 55 so it can fit or (blasphemy) drill three small holes in the 60mm in the back, 120 degrees apart and use small self-tapping SS screws...kind of like a Christmas tree stand. I did the latter on my E24, pipes I had were a few mm too big. Look great, 10 years and haven't lost one.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is what I learned today. The Fritz Bits tail pipe must be 56 or 57mm, my 60mm is way too big and the 55mm will not slip on.
Stan, would that mean that you have one 60 mm tail pipe end for which you have no purpose anymore? If so, i am interested as i have a NOS 60 mm tailpipe for my 3.0 cs, that is only missing a correct tailpipe end.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan, would that mean that you have one 60 mm tail pipe end for which you have no purpose anymore? If so, i am interested as i have a NOS 60 mm tailpipe for my 3.0 cs, that is only missing a correct tailpipe end.

@eriknetherlands - If Stan does not have one, Wallothnesch has 60mm pipe ends (A18111102632). I just ordered one the other day.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yeah, but those are shorter then the original....

I had no idea. How do you know? I mean, how can you tell from the diagram? Now I have so many questions! First, I have an E3, not an E9. I’m sure there are differences In the shape of the exhaust pipe near the end.

I ordered a whole new exhaust from Maximillian here in the US, they sent a 55mm chrome tip, which was too small for me. It is 95mm long. The curve on the pipe begins at about 55mm from the tip of the exhaust and the “bubbles” that help attach the chrome tip to the exhaust stop around 60mm. So, this could almost be too long for the E3 (and needs to be +60mm diameter anyway).

Does the E9 exhaust start to curve farther forward on the car or stick out longer at the back? My exhaust pipe does not even reach the end of the chrome portion of the bumper. Curious in Austin.

- Joey

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Original should be 100 mm long, so perhaps your 95mm that you measured is good enough. Current Repro's are 60 mm long.

1. Didn’t know it’s a repo. They don’t indicate either way on their site. For me, it was just a part on a diagram. I guess one needs to ask?
2. It’s due here on Tuesday. I’ll report back then.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@eriknetherlands - Turns out it was not a repro, it was a BMW branded tip. Unfortunately, it’s a 55mm tip. They have it labeled wrong in their catalog. I now have two 55mm tips I can’t use. Maybe I’ll post them here. But, I paid 49 Euros to have the one shipped from Germany (and only a few fiddly bits with it).

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got the 60mm from @dave v. in nc (Thanks Dave!) Same length. Well, measuring 96mm, but I could have mis-measured the 55mm ones. Dave has those now, so he can confirm.

FedEx lost them in transit for about a week, so it was touch and go. But, all’s well that ends well.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not that I found, commercially. Got mine from a fellow forum member. I’d post in parts.