2800cs on ebay for the 3rd time

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO.....Looks like if it could stop quickly, the front clip would keep going. Throw in whatever you pay for this, multiplied by 15, and it could be a real sweet ride.

jmackro

Reaction score
manolix007: Ed G is offerring you good advice. The rust looks pretty severe - don't even think about restoring it. The fact that the seller took his ebay photos of the car wet, sitting out in the rain gives you an indication of the amount of moisture it has seen.

The seller's description states:
This car in #1 condition is a $15-$18k car. Rust buckets are worth $4k
and his buy-it-now price is $3,750. Hmm, what does that make this car?

Maybe if you lived in Colorado, already had an an automatic e9 with a sound body but missing a lot of trim, then this ebay car would make sense at $3,750 as a parts car.

Last edited:

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't have to inspect this one to know its a $750 parts car priced three grand too high. My sympathies to anyone who pops for this can-o-crap.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
70 2800cs

Make offer $2750.00 needs rockers, probably both front fenders new $1500.00, $500 soda blast entire car after total strip... Then you will see what your looking at, if your lucky the glass is all good. My cars fenders are in better shape than this car also a 70, once you get the fenders off you will see just how much rust these cars can accumulate so be ready, if your lucky the front strut towers, and fender aprons are still fixable????? Your looking at a lot of work kid you not, almost easier to pay $7500.00 for a good example of which there are almost none now days. On a brighter note it is a early car, the mechanicals look pretty good. If the pan is clean your saving even more money, anyone that tries to restore these early cars without cleaning, and checking the front fender aprons is asking for gremlins with in a few years and a $4500.00 paint job dust....

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
ebay coupe

As J Mackro said - the fact that the seller took the photos in the rain says it all.

When I bought my coupe, I asked the seller whether the sunroof or trunk leaked. He said, "I don't know." This was the correct answer; he never drove it in the rain. And I don't think they leak (only been out in light rain occasionally).

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can tell the clock works.

Great car designs create the illusion of speed even looking at a parked car.

Painting the front of the car more spectrally red than Verona is very clever. The car appears to approach really fast as the observer sees a "redshift" doppler effect.

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Possible Doppler Effect

I don't know about Arde's comment about the Doppler effect, but the car is certainly disappearing before our eyes.

jmackro

Reaction score
Make offer $2750.00 needs rockers, probably both front fenders new $1500.00, $500 soda blast entire car after total strip... Then you will see what your looking at,...

That's all true, but it is only part of the story.

Sure, from the photos, we can see that it needs rockers and fenders.

But, if it needs those, it probably also needs floors and inner body sections. Plus, someone is going to have to cut out the old metal, fit, and weld in the new. Labor on these "rust-o-rations" generally exceeds the cost of the replacement parts.

The ebay seller was correct when he wrote: "This car in #1 condition is a $15-$18k car". But what he neglected to add was: "however, it will take another $20,000+ to get this car into #1 condition"

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Not that it matters but I believe that coupe has been on eBay more than 3 times so it seems to be the rusty orphan that no one wants. If you’re going to start out with bottom end rusty project car at least start with a sunroof and a 3.0 car, they all cost the same to restore so you may as well end up with a more desirable car at the end of your very considerable efforts. Besides the fenders & rockers everyone is mentioning there seems to be a lot of brown showing below the rear window (backlight), if that is rotted thru the car is another step closer to being a parts car.

After 39 or 40 years in the auto body & metal shaping trades I can tell you one thing for sure, in the long run your always way ahead of the game starting out with the soundest car you can afford to buy and that’s even more true if you’re going to pay other people to do the restoration work :wink::wink::wink:. Also while red is very desirable color for a Ferrari & small street rods it’s a color a large portion of people would pass on for a coupe. My 2 cents on the deal, probably from the senseless :mrgreen:. ~ John Buchtenkirch

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
ebay 2800

Watch what you say about red coupes - the Hack Mechanic Rob Siegel has one and we do not want to offend him.

Why is a sunroof more desirable? The contribute to rocker panel rust. I have a sunroof coupe but would have preferred one without - but one cannot be too picky, plus I don't drive much in the rain anyway.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the owner bought the coupe without full disclosure just a few months ago from the prior owner and perhaps without a thorough going through before his purchase. He now knows what it would really cost to restore and can't recoup his purchase price so is trying to cut his loses. The asking price has steadily gone down and was never advertised here although the owner is a member but it was listed on the 2002FAQ board instead. We have all been there at one time or another where we had good intentions that won't ever be realized. Sad but true, be upfront about it and take your loss, hopefully never to be repeated. And then search for the best coupe that you can afford and enjoy the hell out of it.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller would definitely be better off parting out this Coupe. I don't know what he paid for it; but it does have some good parts left and that's the only way I see him coming close to recuperating his money however sad it may be.

bmw art car

Reaction score
As J Mackro said - the fact that the seller took the photos in the rain says it all.

I share this opinion about the rain. When i saw it first i thought... a real E9 owner would never let his car sit in rain...
nor would he be caught taking photo's in the attempt to potentially sell it to a E9 enthusiast .:-D

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The seller would definitely be better off parting out this Coupe. I don't know what he paid for it; but it does have some good parts left and that's the only way I see him coming close to recuperating his money however sad it may be.

I agree, bumpers $800 each, tail light $200 each, trim molding, wheels and other bits could likely add up to more than the current bid.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or, take all the good parts off of the car, refinish/revive them including the brightwork, salvage the wiring harness and all the bits attached, Take out all the glass, suspension interior, etc... and go out and find a nice shell. I recall seeing a prepped for painting shell about a year ago for about $2,500.00. Could turn out to be a fun project.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
2800 cs on ebay

Well guy's I have to admit, I totally agree with you on this one.

GB
73 cs chamonix. :-D

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold for $3100

16 bidders, sold for $3100. May set new benchmark for running chasis with many needs.

Anybody on this site the purchaser? Restore or part out? Just curious.

Presently in Amsterdam - saw 2800 CS dark green with red interior! No rust, but clearly a daily driver.