3.0 CS - The european corvair!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry Adam, I’m not buying it.

Bertone introduced the beltline trim on the 503 in 1956, well before the corvair was showcased. Skinny A and C pillars were an established italian design as well. I look forward to being educated on the design influences. At first glance, the e9 seems to be a set of clear derivatives of early BMW designs.

1956+ BMW 503
2A71DA70-30EB-46FF-A802-E19C6EC3BE3F.jpeg

1960 Corvair:
43D49262-6CDF-4EEB-A022-E10C63AB1B0A.jpeg

3200CS C pillars and character line:
8896F780-05E3-4AAF-84F7-E91E122C848F.jpeg

Hoffmeister 2000CS is a clear derivation:
D2C84DCD-258B-4030-8162-6538D671D101.jpeg

3.0CS:
25035B88-26E6-462A-902C-E00561CBE3CB.jpeg

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I bought my first e9 in 1994 I was showing it off to a relative, who was not really a car guy, and his first words were “it looks like a Corvair”. It stung, but I’ve really come to appreciate what a revolutionary car the Corvair was when taken in context to the times and what other US auto makers were doing to fight off the “imports”. It’s just gotten a bad rap thanks to Mr. Nader.

I don’t see much resemblance in the first generation Corvair at all. The second gens were much prettier and I can see where the untrained eye could conflate the two cars.
0048E26D-ED8E-417E-9260-939BC14F8FB5.jpeg

The video is poorly titled. It’s like saying the Bugatti 55A Roadster is the European Stutz Bearcat.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
I've never seen the similarity to the Corvair, still don't. BMW has had a clear lineage from prewar to postwar that still continues today.
I think Markos' point was that like CS coupes, 1st generation Corvairs have beltline trim and thin roof pillars. And as JMinPDX points out, the roofline of the 2nd generation Corvair is similar to that of the e9. Neither is saying that these cars look similar in every other regard.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
'Blatant Corvair ripoff'?! Don't think so. Under Bill Mitchell, GM produced some of the best looking cars ever in the 60s - don't think the Corvair was one of them. Mitchell was known to go to Europe for design influences. The 63-65 Riveria is an example. Also the second generation F-Body cars (Camaro and Firebird) were influenced by late sixties Ferraris. You could argue that the second gen design was influenced heavily by European design trends. I have to admit the second generation Corvair sedan has one of the best 4 door rooflines ever.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Look no further than the NSU Prinz 1000 for the car GM copied for the first Corvair. At Legends last week.
1B0661EA-F81C-4DC8-93AF-E19C6BFED8A9.jpeg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've done rallys with Ace and his NSU... Car is too funny. He has an eclectic little collection with some pretty interesting cars..

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, I've got one. Sunday at a BMW CC of BC annual Concours, many fine BMW examples showed up to be either in Display category, or as Judged, Concours. There were many, many fine examples of most BMW models. However, as many cars shows are, it was open to the public. Anyone could walk their dog, push their stroller through the display, interact with owners, who were mostly just waiting for scores to be tallied and results announced. Amazes me, on every occasion, what some folks choose to say when they walk amongst such a fine display of BMW. There was one "guest" who revealed he could guess the year of manufacture by smelling inside the car! I know! and, he wanted to talk some more! But the best one of the day, was when a couple ventured by my Coupe, walking their dog, and the female announced to her companion, " Hey Ryan, this one is just like my Valiant!" His reply? "Yes, Hon, just like your Valiant" We made eye contact, until he got in an eye-roll. ;) Car shows...you never know!

Last edited: