3.0 CS vs CSi values?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Walter, do you think a real csi looks better under the hood than a 3.5L injected conversion?

Attachments

• silver - az3.5 - engine 4.jpg
    silver - az3.5 - engine 4.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 192

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Walter, do you think a real csi looks better under the hood than a 3.5L injected conversion?

Well I do prefer the original style injected intake runners to the motronic ones. I guess between original carbs and motronic runners, visually, the carbs are more appealing. Forgot to throw in S38 conversions, those look great and somehow look natural in the coupe.

That is an awesome picture BTW. My engine bay is getting painted at Coupeking, I hope the final product turns out half as nice as that!

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score

Personally, I do think the D-jet looks prettier and cooler than the L-jet setup. Love the D-jet air box over the L-jet box and airflow meter.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I do prefer the original style injected intake runners to the motronic ones. I guess between original carbs and motronic runners, visually, the carbs are more appealing. Forgot to throw in S38 conversions, those look great and somehow look natural in the coupe.

That is an awesome picture BTW. My engine bay is getting painted at Coupeking, I hope the final product turns out half as nice as that!

the picture is the 3.5L conversion in Jabberjaw. i like the original style intake, not the new style intake. this is a motronic 1.3 car.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

The expansion tank has no coolant, was it done with Photoshop?

Anyway, to please everybody someone should build a coupe with 3 cylinders carburated and the other three fuel injected...

srennoc

Reaction score
3.5 L-Jet

That is a great picture! The motor is a 3.5L euro L block running US based L-Jet from a 1980 528I. The D-jet & L-jet intake plenums are virtually identical. That motor bay is currently being reworked to the next stage by SFDON. It will have a little different look to it when finished. It should make some great power!

Terry

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my car has the same L-jet intake, but has motronic 1.0, not the 1.3 on this car. i have a new plastic expansion tank on my car and it is filled with the ice blue bmw coolant. doesn't look like there is anything in it. here is another shot of the intake + a piece of the coolant reservoir (it does look empty).

i look forward to seeing some pix of the underhood from SFDON ... should we presume that megasquirt is coming to jabberjaw?

Attachments

• silver - az3.5 - engine 2.jpg
    silver - az3.5 - engine 2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 168

srennoc

Reaction score
3.5 L-Jet

No 1.3 on this motor. These pics were taken at the shop when we put the car together for Alvin. Coolant bottle had not been filled yet. Don will fill you in on the engine when completed.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recall seeing a photo here of a Schwarz coupe running triple side drafts that was particularly nice. Anybody have a photo of that engine bay ??

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The last 3 Csi's I have been hired to work on actually had U.S. low compression engines in them. Sadly, a Csi badge is no guarantee of an original Euro engine.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, I'll be the Diva here; I think the CSi looks better under the hood. The injected intake runners/manifold is more visually appealing than the standard carb'd airbox IMHO. HOWEVER, triple carbs look the best.

subjective, opinion
not for the injected one, nor for the triple carbs
subjective this one, again

m_thompson

Reaction score
The last 3 Csi's I have been hired to work on actually had U.S. low compression engines in them. Sadly, a Csi badge is no guarantee of an original Euro engine.

If I remember correctly, no CSi was ever imported to the USA by Hoffman/BMW. Were the engines swapped in these three cars?

pmansson

Reaction score
My 2 cents

We all know that a car is worth what someone is prepared to pay, not what we as owners think it´s worth.
Personally I believe that condition is everything. OK, if a 2.5 in the same condition as a 3.0 CS or Euro spec CSi, the latter will normally be more expensive.
We all know that the driveline is the easy bit. That leaves the body and interior. The body can be repaired very differently by different people. A non repaired car will always be more sought after, but seriously good bodywork coupled with a first class paintwork is nearly as good. The interior is the difficult bit on the E9s as so few parts are available, besides carpets, and recently headliners for cars with and w/o sunroof.
Top quality chroming is very, very expensive. It will set you back several thousand dollars, at least in Europe, once the underlying polishing work is done perfectly, plus the 3 dips are nowadays extremely expensive.
Top CSi cars in Europe, by dealers, have asking prices of around 40.000 EUR or over 50.000 USD. The big market is Germany, of course. Trim off 10% perhaps and you get an idea of what they cost at dealers. Private sales, I imagine, result in lower prices. Rough cars don´t sell at all, as the restoration costs will far exceed market prices.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have to agree on the CSI injection- very organic and I love the way you can read the way the engine breathes... just like the old BMW twins- form follows function.

As I'm sure most know, those runners and plenum serve a purpose and help give the engine the broad power band that allowed it to run the 3.25 diff. The "cool" factor for me is that BMW actually committed to this when they did.

Stefan

Reaction score
At last!

I've been waiting for this thread :)

Lots of personal opinions in a general issue. Entertaining reading of personal thoughts!

(I have no experience with the carburetor E9, so I decline comment)

waynesie

Reaction score
There is an interesting valuation tool on the Hagerty website. You can get average car values from the last couple of years for vintage cars of different quality. condition 4 = driver, condition 3 = good/nice, condition 2 = show, condition 1 = perfect (100% original).

They only seam to have cars that were imported to the US. No 73 CSi, but here is a comparison between the 74 CS and 74 CSi

74 CS
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1330798

74 CSi
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1330799

73 CS
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1330523

This mentions where they come up with these numbers.
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/About

You can also add several cars to a "collection" and see the valuation in a chart of % change over time.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had BMW fitted the CS with triple side draft carburetters with the exposed air horns and the 3 small chromed filter housings, then this will be my absolute choice. Other than this, I would choose the Bosch injected motors over the factory twin downdraft carbs and their big air cleaner housing. My first coupe was a carbureted CS and truthfully, have never been warm to the the looks of the CS engine bay, now with the CSi...that is a different story with its sexy log style plenum and C shaped intake runners.

Getting back to the original question of whether the CS or CSi is worth more...as always, condition, condition, and condition. I would choose a low mileage and excellent condition CS over the lesser shape CSi any day. You may have people liking carbureted or injected coupes, but essentially, a CS or CSi in equal condition will be worth about the same amount.

JMHO...as always, subjectivity is in the eye of the beholder.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will post a pic of Jabberjaw next week after it is up and running again.
The intake manifold is now a flat clear powdercoat on an correct Euro plenum. Looks like it just came off the production line and will keep that look for years.
The heatshields are the same black ones but the exhaust manifolds are now ceramic coated black. Jabberjaw now has Schrick cam and springs and a port/polish job that was done on the flow bench. Wasted spark and Megasquirt too.

Stefan

Reaction score
I will post a pic of Jabberjaw next week after it is up and running again.
The intake manifold is now a flat clear powdercoat on an correct Euro plenum. Looks like it just came off the production line and will keep that look for years.
The heatshields are the same black ones but the exhaust manifolds are now ceramic coated black. Jabberjaw now has Schrick cam and springs and a port/polish job that was done on the flow bench. Wasted spark and Megasquirt too.

****, nice work sfdon!! Now you only need the pink Beru to have it all! :)

Great work!
Stefan