3D printer time

dbower

Reaction score
Those of you getting 3D printers for Christmas, here's your challenge: on page 51/31 of the parts book, there is a plastic cap or plug that sits at the top of the vertical door window channel, right at the top point of the vent window frame. It is NLA (as far as I know). On the Penske parts diagram, it is unnumbered, but it is shown with the middle of the 3 vent window frames in that diagram.

These finish the top of the U-shaped channel and help seal against water/wind leaks. Left and right are mirror images.

I don't presume to understand how 3D printers work, but from what I have read, this would seem to be a pretty basic item for them. You would just need an example to work from - and I am missing both of mine. I think they are the same for all years of production. Who's up for the challenge?

Don

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In 51/30 is it part #6?

06 51326754265 PADDING (09/65 to 11/75) 1 $3.74
addtocart.gif

06 51326754266 PADDING (09/65 to 11/75) 1 $3.74
addtocart.gif

loloe13

Reaction score
they used to be available from w+n,
just checked, not anymore.
if you do find them, i think its worth getting few spare ones, they seem to just slot into place and will likely fall out again in the future.

or does anymore know if they are meant to be glued in?

Gavin

dbower

Reaction score
spoke too soon

Well, after this thread, I ran those parts numbers past my dealer parts guy (the old guy who remembers microfiche), and he found several sets of these in CA (of course). I ordered 2 pair. Perhaps BMW Classic is really repro'ing some trim parts for coupes!

Don

loloe13

Reaction score
this was the original rubber on my right door, the left sided one will be a mirror version of it
Gavin

Attachments

• windows rubber edge P1080328e.jpg
    windows rubber edge P1080328e.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 141
  • windows rubber edge P1080338e.jpg
    windows rubber edge P1080338e.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 130

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to the OP - I hadn't thought, up till now, of the possibilities with regards to 3D printing of parts, especially NLA parts.

Are we about to see 3D reproduced Hispano Suizas at the local shopping centre parking lot? Geeks printing out Elanors to drive to school?

Seriously though, are these things one of those fantasies of the future - like, where's my hoverboard? Or can we really expect to be able to print out parts that we need? Or anything else for that matter.

And another thought - anybody remember the movie Wierd Science? Woohoo!