4 speed transmission

Stefan67

Reaction score
I have a 71 2800CS. I've been quoted $1600 for a used 4 speed transmission (reportedly in good/great shape) installed.....does this sound about right?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The ZF or the Getrag box?

Heck, I've got a Getrag box in my garage I'd gladly let go for 200$, complete with bellhousing.

As for the install cost, that is kinda high. It should take about an hour or two to swap one 4 speed for another of the same type.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless that includes installation and five nights with meals in a nice hotel, it's robbery. A Getrag 4 speed should be about $100, and a ZF should be free. The ZF is a good box, but repair parts are getting scarce.

steve in reno

Reaction score
4 speed trans

Stefan
I know that you live in DC, but for $1600, it should be a conversion from auto to manual.
Are you sure you don't want to change to a 5 speed since you are there.
That said:
Since you are going to do this there are other parts that may need to be change also. Throw out bearing, absolutely.
guibo, center bearing, pilot bearing, since you are there.
The trans R&R is an easy job.
$200 for trans max $, more if all new seals(front -rear-shifter). Get a parts break down from you machanic.
Mechanics see those 3 letters, BMW, and get dollar signs in their eyes!
steve

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stefan,

I have a ZF 4 speed that has been sitting for about 27 years that I bought to convert my first coupe and am willing to let it go for cheap. I also have the following NOS: gasket set, bearing set, shift lever, driveshaft, and slave cylinder if you (or anybody else) are interested.

You can email me at [email protected]

Stefan67

Reaction score
It's a Getrag...I have a ZF now ..he also quoted me $3,000 to swap it out for a 5 speed....with doing all of the other mods necessary for that conversion. I'm think I'm gonna sit tight right now. It shifts fine right now, but makes a whuh whuh whuh noise when I let off the gas while in gear. He said it's a bearing, another guy said it was the differential.

All being said this guy has 20+ years working on E9's and is a pretty reasonable guy so far...this just seemed a bit more than I expected. Thanks for the input.

Orangener

Reaction score
1600$ ! I this mechanic crazy ? For 1600 i send you 4 of those 4-speed-gearboxes to Amerika...........

150€ each, i make a selling off..........:lol:

33be2985cca1ca4c32f15313837af10b.jpg

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Are you getting a new clutch as a part of that $1600? To me that would be a proper repair and if so, $1,600 sounds about right. If you don't know that the present clutch has a long life ahead, this would be the time to replace it.

steve in reno

Reaction score
4 speed trans

Stefan
I personally did the 5 speed change last year.
5 speed trans, bell, tower and all other parts cost me <$800. That includes rebuild/shortening of d-shaft.
Check with another mechanic, this guy is wanting you to sent his kids to Harvard!
It is just too easy a job for that kind of money.
steve

jmackro

Reaction score
Stefan67 had written: "It's a Getrag...I have a ZF now ..he also quoted me $3,000 to swap it out for a 5 speed....with doing all of the other mods necessary for that conversion"

OK, so we've established that your car is already a manual (i.e., he's not doing an automatic --> manual conversion). You haven't specified what other new parts he is providing - to do the job right, he should replace the: clutch pp, disk, to bearing, pilot bearing, trans mount, shift bushings, guibo joint, yadda yadda, as well as resurface the flywheel. You might ask for a parts vs labor breakdown, and get the labor in terms of X hours @ $Y/hr. Those "X" and "Y" figures might be easier for this group to comment on than the bottom line #. For a top-notch job, $1,600 might be reasonable.

What REALLY puzzles me is the $1,400 difference between the cost of installing a 5 speed vs. a 4 speed. There really is no "conversion" - the right model 5 speed will basicly bolt in. Someone who routinely works on E9's should know the few tricks involved in a 4 --> 5 speed conversion. And, the cost of the used box should be about the same, regardless of the # of speeds.

As someone else commented, if you're gonna pay to have your box swapped out, go with a 5 speed. It really shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred extra, and you'll save that in gas in the first month!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Indeed, doing the 5 speed swap is just atad more difficult than replacing the original 4 speed. Once you have the trans off, replacing the clutch takes all of 10 min.

Mario L.

Reaction score
Mario's Getrag is all boxed up with all the parts for an Automatic to 4 speed conversion . . I had it sold for $450.00 with all these parts . . . but the buyer left me hanging . . .fwiw, he's on this board Thanks!

Take it all away for $400.00
Bellhousing
Trans
Shift linkage
Flywheel with bolts
Clutch disk and pressure plate
and Redline MTL flkuid to fill it with
I think I even boxed up a brake fluid reservoir and the hose from the master to the slave.

needs only slave cylinder, master cylinder and T/O bearing