5 speed g/b questions - please help!

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding this topic:

I have an overdrive 5th gear box from (I think) an E28 Euro 535i, it has a electric speedo and the clutch arrangement is the wrong way round, meaning if I were to use it I'd need a longer flexi hose. In addition the mountings for this box (to the cradle / car) look different.

Is there a box that is more suitable? Or is there a mounting cradle I can buy that will fit this box AND my car without mods? I'm thinking I need an older (E12?) box - Can anyone help me here please?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
If your E28 trans has a separate bellhousing/clutch cover, you can convert it to use a speedometer cable drive. (try a search)

If the bellhousing/clutch cover is part of the front case of the transmission, the better fit is the Getrag 265. The 265s were used in 80-82 5/6/7s with M30 (big six) engines and had speedometer cable drives installed in those years. They were also used in 1985 5/6/7s and in E30 M3s, but these cars must be converted to swap in the speedometer cable drive parts.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Is there not an E12 box that's a more direct fit though, especially considering the mounting points appear to be different to 4 speed already in the car - Or is there another way round this?

Any thoughts anyone?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
80-82 5/6/7 includes E12 5 series.

In the US, the 80-81 528i are a very common source for these transmissions.

You will need the clutch fork, slave cylinder, etc from the donor car as the E9 4 speed parts won't bolt up.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks Bill, can you or anyone else confirm that the later 5 speeds from a Euro M535i have different mounting points then? I thought they stayed the same ??

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
dj_efk said:
Thanks Bill, can you or anyone else confirm that the later 5 speeds from a Euro M535i have different mounting points then? I thought they stayed the same ??
Mounting points to what?
The engine end is the same bolt pattern. At some point, maybe 1988, the bolt heads changed from hex head to Torx.
I would expect that if you get the little rear crossmember that mounts the rear of the transmission that it will be possible to use in the E9 but I don't know this for fact.