5sp trany

HBe9

Reaction score
wanted 5sp trany for my 74 or a bell housing for the original 4sp. appreciate any help

nobrakese28

Reaction score
Hi. I have a complete 4spd. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Marco
323 712 8359

HBe9

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i may very well go for it but I am thinking it maybe a good time to consider a 5 sp and wonder if it's a straight fit using a Getrag 260 from an older 635 or 633?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think i remember seeing a bellhousing on ebay recently - not sure what the price was.

i know somebody who might be selling a 5 speed in the near future (here in atlanta) ... i do not know any of the specifics - condition or price. if you are in the market for one (for your coupe), send me a PM with your email and i will put you in contact with my friend. this will simply be putting 2 people together ... i have no stake in it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i know somebody who might be selling a 5 speed in the near future (here in atlanta) ... i do not know any of the specifics - condition or price. if you are in the market for one (for your coupe), send me a PM with your email and i will put you in contact with my friend. this will simply be putting 2 people together ... i have no stake in it.

transmission was sold ...

G-Man

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i may very well go for it but I am thinking it maybe a good time to consider a 5 sp and wonder if it's a straight fit using a Getrag 260 from an older 635 or 633?

Getrag 260 doesn't have a removeable bellhousing and a port for mechanical speedo drive. You can use a getrag 260 but you'll have to use a GPS device to keep track of your speed since BMW used an electronic speedo for models that used this gearbox. Keep looking for a getrag 265 since it has a port to insert your mechanical speedo cable. They are out there but getting much harder to find these days. Getrag 265 came on 80-81 E12 528. 82 E28 528e (but you'll need a M30 bellhousing with this year only eta model). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 80-81 E23 and E24 also came with a getrag 265. For 85 model year only, BMW went back to the getrag 265 due to getrag 260 issues on the E23, E24 & E28 (535i). For the 85 model getrag 265, the speedo port is there but no speedo gears in the gearbox. You'll have to use the speedo gears from another gearbox. Here's a perfect example of a getrag 265 donor car you are looking for. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4599966092.html You can use parts from the donor car to convert from carbs to L-jet.

G-Man

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Getrag 260 doesn't have a removeable bellhousing and a port for mechanical speedo drive. You can use a getrag 260 but you'll have to use a GPS device to keep track of your speed since BMW used an electronic speedo for models that used this gearbox. Keep looking for a getrag 265 since it has a port to insert your mechanical speedo cable. They are out there but getting much harder to find these days. Getrag 265 came on 80-81 E12 528. 82 E28 528e (but you'll need a M30 bellhousing with this year only eta model). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 80-81 E23 and E24 also came with a getrag 265. For 85 model year only, BMW went back to the getrag 265 due to getrag 260 issues on the E23, E24 & E28 (535i). For the 85 model getrag 265, the speedo port is there but no speedo gears in the gearbox. You'll have to use the speedo gears from another gearbox. Here's a perfect example of a getrag 265 donor car you are looking for. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4599966092.html You can use parts from the donor car to convert from carbs to L-jet.

G-Man
e30 m3 also came with a 265 ... of course they didn't have the speedo cable ... and those guys are our competition for these boxes.