#6 fuse pops

71-2800 CS

Reaction score
Need help. Every time I turn the ignition key my #6 red fuse pops. From what I understand this fuse controls the wiper motor, screenwasher, stop lights, turn indicators, reverse lights, and horn. Interestingly even with the popped fuse some of the lights still work however I am having problems having all the rear lights work propery. Front lights and indicators are fine. I have tried multiple combinations. So far the best combination still results in reverse lights blinking on both sides when I push up the left side turn indicator. Some of the wires are color coded and I have a wiring diagram but I still can't come up with the correct combination. Is it possbile that the lights are running off a different fuse? Also should a wrong combination of connections on the left side have any impact to rear lights on right side? Any thoghts appreciated.

61porsche

Reaction score
If the numnber 6 fuse is still popping, something is grounded. The first thing to check would be the two wires for the windscreen washer pump which are easily knocked off when changing spark plugs or other wise working in the area.

The lights are wired on your year car directly from the battery, through the light switch, emergency flasher, then the turn stalk.

Because your reverse lights are blinking under some circumstance, i would pull the wires from the trans switch second and see what's happening. it would be unusual from your description. Reverse switchs can go bad and ground. Rare but can.

Rear lights- it's sometimes easy to knock off a connection. makes sure everything is on where it should be and not loose and grounding somehow.

71-2800 CS

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for the reply 61porsche. I will give this a try once may car returns home in a few days. Also, for some reason there are a lot of wires attached directly to battery terminal. I have an aftermarket stereo but that's about it.

61porsche

Reaction score
It's normal to have wires on the positive side of the battery. For instance the lights are wire direct.