635CSI for a 3.0 CS

Germancar64

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I own a 1989 635CSI in fair shape that I'm looking to trade for a decent 73 to 75 3.0 CS in similar condition.

She's got close to 260.00 miles on the clock, the suspension was redone a few years ago and I planned on putting the good urethane bits up front instead of the crummy original rubber that kept giving out but haven't done so to date. I got rid of the ridiculous self leveling system in the rear and I have standard shocks out back.

She's got a five year old head gasket, new water pump, new alternator, new belts and various other new bits in the engine compartment. I bought the kit to rebuild the power steering pump but I haven't put it on yet. Yes, the pump leaks a little bit.

The engine pulls like a freight train, the tranny is strong but suffers from that 1st gear shudder that most of these cars suffer from (I think she needs a servo) every other gear shifts like butter but she shifts hard in first gear. The guibo needs to be replaced, and the exhaust is original but it's in good shape.

She passes emissions every year without a hitch and I could drive the car to California from Connecticut with no problems. The A/C blows cold if you charge the system but runs warm a few days later. (refrigerant leak somewhere)

The paint has faded on the hood and trunk, there's the usual rust starting at the bottom of the rear wheel wells, and the paint has started to crack just behind the rear passenger window on the right rear pillar but the car is basically 95% rust free. The undercarriage has no rust what-so-ever and the body is solid.

There is a small ding on the passenger door that I never got around to pulling out.

She's black with a black interior and I've pampered and spoiled her for the last 7 years. She only goes out in the summer and she turns heads where-ever we go. The dash needs to be either restored or replaced as it has the usual cracks in the usual places.

I have chrome 18" M-Parallel wheels with low profile tires and tint on the windows but I assure you she's not pimped out completely and I still have the original wheels.

The car is in great condition and only needs a decent paintjob and some driveline work to be perfect. I absolutely love her little sister's body lines and have always wanted a 73 to 75 3.0 CS

I'm looking to trade my girl for a decent 3.0 that's in just about the same condition if anyone is interested.

I haven’t lied about anything because…………………well………………….why bother:wink:

I'll attach some pics.

Attachments

• 635-A.jpg
    635-A.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 635-B.jpg
    635-B.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 635-C.jpg
    635-C.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 156

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
does your 635csi get delivered with 10,000 in gold coins in the trunk?

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
e24 for e9

As an owner of two e24s (1987 5 spd 635 and a 1988 M6) and a 1973 e9 let me weigh in on this. Please take my comments as just that, the non-objective observations of a biased owner.

If you have a 5 spd 1989 635 this is arguably the most desirable nonM 635. It has the slightly increased HP (to about 200), nicer interior, better headlamps, and the nice almost Euro bumpers that the 1988 and 1989 models have. All 1987 and 1988 M6 models were obviously 5 spd (about 1700 total in US). 5 spd 1987-1989 635s are actually much rarer. Some folks prefer the M30 engine of the 635 (very reliable and not too expensive to fix, as we all know) to the S38 M6 - which while very reliable for an exotic, detuned race engine, can be very expensive to fix.

The current market for good e24 M6s is about $15-25K and you can get a nice one with 100K miles for $20K, maybe less. Not sure if folks are getting the higher prices (e.g. >$20K) some are asking. In my opinion these are true bargains (not as investments, as beautiful fun to drive cars).

A stock 635, even the very desirable late model 5 spds, are going to command less, probably $8-10K in rust free condition. Some folks in the Roundel are asking more (e.g $10-15K) but whether they are getting it is unknown to me. Are these bargains - beautiful Paul Braque designs, reliable almost daily drivers (if no snow) - yes indeed.

So maybe a swap of an e24 M6 for an equal condition e9 would be reasonable. My M6 and e9 are in similar condition (excellent, but not show, definitely drivers but no issues) and I paid a similar price for each. I love them driving them both, but the e9 is definitely my favorite and worth more (to me) now than the M6. While I would not sell either, you would need to break my fingers and pry the e9 keys from my clenched fist.

Again, please take the above comments in the true collegial spirit in which they were intended.

Germancar64

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback and replies guys......

I see where both of you are coming from and believe me, I realize that most E9 owners would rather walk across the frozen tundra shoeless before parting with their beloved car.

I've owned my car for roughly seven years and I truly love it but I think the E9's are much prettier.

I knew going into this that I would get little to no bites at all which is cool. I'll just have to switch to plan "B"

I hope to be in the company of the rest of you lucky enough to own an E9 somewhere down the road.

Ciao............

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't want to be the first to say it, but you will most likely have to spend a little extra to get an E9 in the condition of your E24. Personally I'd be on the look out for a mostly rust free car and worry about the other parts in due time. I'd also cast the net very wide in your search for an E9. Include Europe in your searches. Best of Luck.

Germancar64

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply Nicad,

And believe me I never really thought anybody would actually trade an E9 for an E24. It was more of me just throwing my fishing line in the water to see what type of responses I’d get.

I’m faced with either taking my car past the finish line and make it really nice or getting an E9 and starting almost from scratch. I’ve had the car for 7 years and as much as I love her, I want an E9 even more.

I’ll probably finish the front end work and fix the drive-line lash, sell her for the most that I can get and put that money towards an E9.

You might not believe this but I’ve seen some incredible deals over the years and you’d be amazed how cheap E9’s go for (sometimes) given the right circumstances, especially when the owner has no idea how sought after or valuable his car is.

Thanks for the advice, and happy motoring………………

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your plan is good, as long as the E9 you get into has a solid body it doesn't have to be in the same condition of your E24 for you to pursue your E9 lust.

Do not be disappointed by the response here, but by nature many folks here have moved from E24s to E9s and it is more rare to find folks moving in the other direction unless they really go for a modern BMW.

Good luck.

Germancar64

Reaction score
Thanks Arde,

The other consideration that I have to take into account is that many people here paid a good deal of money to enter the E9 foray and may view my attempts to enter this exclusive club unfavorable.

I can actually understand that and I realize that I have to literally pay my dues to get in.

Thanks for the reply.......

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
very nice conversations in this thread:twisted:
probably is not bad to throw the "fishing line", and probably is not bad you paying your dues, you know we are all human (lets hope so!)
anyway you should sell her in the states and then cross the pond for a similar condition e9 with the money in your pocket
considering all those cracks and little faults of your e24, that you are living with, i am sure that you probably can find a similar condition e9 for lets say 8 to 10.000 euro that makes you happy
wish you good luck!
only as a reference, a friend of mine bought a nice example of an e24 635csi three months ago for less than 5.000 euro, probably due to crisis or,...who knows !

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Arde,

The other consideration that I have to take into account is that many people here paid a good deal of money to enter the E9 foray and may view my attempts to enter this exclusive club unfavorable.

I can actually understand that and I realize that I have to literally pay my dues to get in.

Thanks for the reply.......

I would not read it that way.
I think some meant to convey that an E9 is more expensive than an E24 in similar condition, which is useful to know.

No snobbish attitudes here, just jovial coexistence of at least three profiles:

1) Cost conscious folks that know how to keep these cars enjoyable forever for less than the depreciation of a 2011 Camry
2) The stance, handling, and performance upgraders not afraid to invest in the car without worrying about resale value
3) The purists with CSLs and its associated pseudo-academic aura.

I am a #1 with some #2 tendencies. I could be a #3 if I were not already a #1.

Germancar64

Reaction score
I am enjoying the conversation as well guys and I feel as though I am learning a lot in the process.

I truly can't think of another car on the planet as beautiful as the E9 and I can't wait to own one.

Thanks for all the advice and tips, it's all very much appreciated........