71 2800CS on ebay

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Messages
6,541
Reaction score
1,934
Location
Tacoma, WA, USA

I'm watching it and got an offer for

Offer: $31,000.00


I say, not bad I don't think for what you're getting IMHO.

The lack of underside pictures and the possible rust I see from the inner fender seams is a bit worrisome:

1790713418006.png
 
This has been around for a while, it was on FB marketplace a few months ago. This is still what they have been asking all along and no takers yet. The problem is that it comes with $8000 of replacement panels and it most likely needs them despite the nice looking exterior. It's going to cost another $10-15k at least to tear it down and put those new panels in then you'll have to repaint and OBTW the engine "runs" but needs work. So figure at a min $25-30k got chassis repair and paint and another chunk for engine rebuild ($10k). At a minimum you're going to have another $40k it and the car has been "off the road" for a long time (can you say brakes, and suspension work, I knew you could)... That means you'll have around $80k in it when done for a nice car, but you could most likely buy something just as nice and have no risk for less than that. If you're willing and able to do major rust repair then MAYBE it would make sense, but if you're paying to have it done it's easier and less risky to buy a good one to start with. This car is in the forbidden zone. It looks nice but it has major structural issues and if you're going to do all that work you it's going to cost almost as much as one that isn't as nice but is a lot less expensive to start with.
 
This car is in the forbidden zone. It looks nice but it has major structural issues and if you're going to do all that work you it's going to cost almost as much as one that isn't as nice but is a lot less expensive to start with.
I'm learning that these two sentences apply to about 75% of the cars available out there...
 
Ahh I went to see it and I would just say these pictures are old the car doesn’t look like this anymore. Story is it was driven by a 25 yr and you know what happens after that.
 
I would pay 10k the way it sits now the pictures you see are from time owner got car in 2019 now it has a lot damage engine looks toast from what I gathered in engine bay both shock towers are rusted thru under car is covered entirely with rust. Interior is still in good condition. Engine oil was burnt bad and looked like little smal fire at back of engine front windshield is now cracked. And the back is hit and inproperly repaired with bondo. I had it at 25k but when seeing it I put one and one together the car was ran into ground and then poorly painted after accident. Also no mechanic even touched this car everything is in poor condition oil never changed etc.Paint is very bad so you see dirt under the paint on front hood. Car would need to be stripped to metal and new engine and transmission rebuild. Interior is only good part which isn’t worth that much money.
 
This has been around for a while, it was on FB marketplace a few months ago. This is still what they have been asking all along and no takers yet. The problem is that it comes with $8000 of replacement panels and it most likely needs them despite the nice looking exterior. It's going to cost another $10-15k at least to tear it down and put those new panels in then you'll have to repaint and OBTW the engine "runs" but needs work. So figure at a min $25-30k got chassis repair and paint and another chunk for engine rebuild ($10k). At a minimum you're going to have another $40k it and the car has been "off the road" for a long time (can you say brakes, and suspension work, I knew you could)... That means you'll have around $80k in it when done for a nice car, but you could most likely buy something just as nice and have no risk for less than that. If you're willing and able to do major rust repair then MAYBE it would make sense, but if you're paying to have it done it's easier and less risky to buy a good one to start with. This car is in the forbidden zone. It looks nice but it has major structural issues and if you're going to do all that work you it's going to cost almost as much as one that isn't as nice but is a lot less expensive to start with.
It doesn’t make sense at $31k or even 20k for chassis that car won’t run without major overhaul. He said it ran 5 yrs ago which I believe but engine was almost seized when I tried to turn it. And 5 yrs isn’t long for these cars it should of turned over.
 
I'm learning that these two sentences apply to about 75% of the cars available out there...
The good ones that are worth it have been snapped up and restored by now. What's left is stuff that didn't make sense to restore then and certainly not now with prices to restore even higher in a not so hot market.
 
Back
Top